Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Vitamin B complex for low energy and depression
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
A friend's doctor told her to start taking vitamin B complex for low energy and depression. After two months she said that her hair and skin is softer and her nails have grown faster and stronger.

Ya learn sumthin' new everyday!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
My B levels were very low per my doctor, and I have been definitely feeling depressed. I am trying to increase them, but haven't seen any benefits yet.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:13 am      Reply with quote
I think it can take some time for you to notice any benefit, especially if you have been quite low with your levels, Bethany.

Quite a few years ago ( too many I was a teenager Laughing ) I was feeling low ,awful nails typical teenager stuff but my lovely old family GP decided Not to put me on antidepressants, (I was quite bad) but to try with Vit B.
It worked, but took its time. So hang in there it may just turn out ok!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:39 am      Reply with quote
Thanks...I'll keep taking them and we'll see what happens!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:42 am      Reply with quote
My hubby's doctor put him on Vitamin B's as part of his diet. He also said it helps combat the weight gain.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:35 am      Reply with quote
I had bad post natal depression after my first son was born, and the hospital kept prescribing iron tablets as I was anaemic.
But the depression lasted for months.
Then I read a newspaper article about synergy - the need for vitamins to be balanced by minerals, and vice versa - and it gave an example of iron needing to be taken with Vitamin B.
So that afternoon I bought some Iron Tonic tablets from Boots, as these contained iron and Vitamin B. (These have been discontinued as I *believe* the latest thinking is that iron is better taken with Vitamin C, but don't quote me on that}.
Anyway, exactly 10 days after starting on the Iron Tonic tablets, I woke up feeling lighter and happier, as if a black cloud had lifted from my life.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Oh good...I have not been consistent in taking them, but this will motivate me to do so.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:44 am      Reply with quote
So many things deplete the body of B vitamins too:
BCP and HRT
sugar
alcohol
diuretics
coffee
tea
theophylline
antibiotics
blueberries
antacids
sleeping pills

from What You Must Know About Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & More2008 edition, Pamela Wartian Smith MD MPH

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
I started taking B complex a few years ago, and since then have discontinued all other vitamins, except that one.

I had suffered from depression consistently earlier in my life, but not after beginning with the B's (however, there were a lot of other changes I made around the same time).

The one thing I always said about them is that they made me feel more "grounded".

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Tyger
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:06 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Oh good...I have not been consistent in taking them, but this will motivate me to do so.

Me too! I had been taking vit B complex every day immediately after a chewable vit C - but ran out of the vit C, so forgot to take vit B! Am just getting back on track this weekend.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Good to know, but doesnt chewable C damage the tooth enamel?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:49 am      Reply with quote
I have no idea what kind of B Vitamins ppl are supplementing with but not all forms are necessarily safe or effective especially if you have a MTHFR genetic defect. (or variant) This is not uncommon at all & many (most) docs have no clue about it.

These links have more info :

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/mthfr/

http://thehealthyelephant.com/misunderstoodz/mthfr/mthfr-folic-acid-vs-l-methylfolate-vs-folate/
Tyger
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:48 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Good to know, but doesnt chewable C damage the tooth enamel?

Unfortunately it probably does - but I find a lot of pills too big to swallow - plus I particularly like chewing these! If taking vitamin pills isn't made easy or pleasant, then I end up not taking them - my vit B complex are tiny. (If I have to take medication, then I have to break or grind them up into bits if too big!)

On the plus side, I hardly ever drink soft drinks like cola etc Smile .
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
I took a B complex several years ago while growing my hair. It worked very well. I stopped taking it because my urine turned neon-yellow, I worried about the long-term effects, and I reached my hair length goal.

The brand I took was Douglas labs--the one without metafolin. I chose that brand because it was high in Biotin. (Most B-complexes are low in Biotin):

http://www.amazon.com/Douglas-Labs-Ultra-Complex-Tablets/dp/B001102O0W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1377654502&sr=8-3&keywords=douglas+b+complex

Our Health Co-op also makes a B-complex that is high in Biotin, but I've never tried it. Theirs, though, is much more affordable than Douglas':

http://store.ourhealthcoop.com/B-100-Plus-p/b100.htm
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Many less expensive multi-vitamin complexes are painfully low on the B vitamin side of things; some B's missing altogether. B's are more expensive and so might be skimped on in a multi.
I've always found them best taken as a separate entity. Either in a complex or as separate altogether. I take a high mg biotin by itself as well as B complex.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
Veronica,

I have purchased all my supplements from ourhealthcoop.com for many years and have been very happy with them. They are one of my favorite vendors because they 3rd party test all their supplements to make sure you are really getting what the label says.

I also like their Constant Health high-nutrient protein powder...low carb, no artificial sweeteners, etc

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Veronica,

I have purchased all my supplements from ourhealthcoop.com for many years and have been very happy with them. They are one of my favorite vendors because they 3rd party test all their supplements to make sure you are really getting what the label says.

I also like their Constant Health high-nutrient protein powder...low carb, no artificial sweeteners, etc

Very important to have a third party testing - this is not likely on Walmart brand etc vitamins. Independent testing is almost always the case on higher end brands to verify potency, dose etc.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:08 am      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
A friend's doctor told her to start taking vitamin B complex for low energy and depression. After two months she said that her hair and skin is softer and her nails have grown faster and stronger.

Ya learn sumthin' new everyday!

I've been taking a sub-lingual B Complex for about 6 months now. I just can't handle the smell of B vitamin pill; the scent of them makes me extremely nauseous. But the sub-lingual liquid is great and it only costs about $4 at Wal Mart for a month's supply. I got some at our local Grocery Outlet for about a dollar less than Wal Mart recently.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
brewer's yeast is a good source of the b complex. I try to take this everyday.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:41 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Veronica,

bethany,

I'm glad to hear that you like OurHealthCoop supplements. How did you find out about them?

Given that there's scarce information on the Internet about them, I thought OurHealthCoop was an obscure company. Yet, I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that a fellow EDSer likes them. Maybe they're more popular than I had initially assumed.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:36 am      Reply with quote
I heard about them on a different forum many years ago. They have a partnership with Dr. Rodier and also Bill Henderson so they can't be that obscure.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:02 am      Reply with quote
Ginseng for low energy.

For depression cayenne is relaxant,valeriana the same,st johns and gink biloba is said to help.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
I'm consistently on a low mood but I am resisting any anti depressants; instead opting for a healthier lifestyle and diet route. B vitamin is one of the natural supplements, as well as Fish oil that I'm taking, in trying to maintain my mental well-being

To date, I haven't really noticed indications of better mood, but it's probably my cycle making me overly hormonal and chemically unbalanced more than usual
CindiLou
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
St Johns Wort helps with depression & anxiety & PMS. Takes a few weeks to start helping. I don't think i'll ever stop taking it! I've been taking it for about 2 or 3 years now. Bonus is that i don't get sore nipples/breasts before my period. I accidently ran out of SJW for a couple of weeks, a few months back & i wondered why my breasts were so sore. Back on the SJW & no pain since!
Holmes
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:08 am      Reply with quote
St John's Wort (Hypericum). Some people are allergic to this herb. In extreme cases where someone has a sensitive brain, it can even cause a seizure.
Try it out slowly and gradually.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |