Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



Decleor Prolagene Lift, Lift & Firm Day Cream - Normal Skin (50 ml / 1.7 oz) Orlane 24 Hour Hydration Limited Edition (50 ml) Payot Techni Liss First First Wrinkles Smoothing Care (50 ml / 1.6 floz)
Cancer Prevention

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Author Message
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Aug 2008
Posts: 2447
Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:02 am      Reply with quote
My diet is by most standards good, I am in good health, no problems, and am 60 years plus. My hubby has been in remission now for two years, and I have healthy, growing children. Yet I am not telling people what they should or shouldn't eat - that was you saying people should not eat meat, cooked food and should live on air and light. So again I ask you - show us proof of your diet - where are your photos so we can see your results?
panoslydios wrote:
TM whats your diet like?
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 1149
Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:49 am      Reply with quote
TM - We've gone around this merry-go-round long enough. To clarify - I am not "all in" on everything Panos recommends, nor have I visited all the threads he's participated in to know exactly what he's posted. I also wanted to bring out that Panos is from another country and as such there is somewhat of a communication gap going on here. Nevertheless, I still believe that everyone on these boards deserves their say, even him. It’s still perplexing to me that you fear cancer patients will take his information and run with it especially given the fact that you discount most or all of what he says. I do think that *some* of what he's posted holds some real validity. For instance, most people are lacking in Vitamin D. Sun*light* has healthy benefits, but our society has become brain washed into thinking we need to wear sunscreen 100% of the time for fear of skin cancer. We slather on sunscreen with chemicals to block the sun's rays. Is there any real proof that this has decreased the number of skin cancer cases? Deb Crowley shared how her own Vitamin D levels were super scary low. That was meant to warn women about the importance of having their levels checked and the link that it holds to breast cancer. See the tie-in with the sunscreen? Do you think there are many doctors out there advising their female patients to have their levels checked, much advising they take sufficient dose of Vitamin D?

Although you state that you've shared what your husband has done on these boards I don't see where you have mentioned specifically what treatments he weighed prior to submitting to the standard protocol. Correct me if I'm wrong OR if it's on another thread. I'm not reading every thread on EDS. I have seen you praise the doctors for *finding* his cancer and the fact that you are forever grateful to them because now he is in remission. I often wonder if certain cancers would disappear on their own without any intervention other than cleaning up your diet and world. Your scare mongering comment is perplexing. Trust me, it's not only lower income families who eat poorly, it's higher income families as well. The point being most people spend more time thinking about what brand TV to buy than they do about the quality of the food they eat. I noted that when Panos asked you what you eat, you answered that you had a healthy diet. That's not exactly the same as answering the question. You are missing his point. Chemicals found in foods, personal care and cleaning products ARE absolutely important to overall health and should be an integral part of an anti-cancer strategy. Further, I shared some good information about WHERE to find these items for far less. Another thing you dismissed. The other day I was in Target purchasing my Seventh Generation cleaning supplies and laundry detergent and found the same size bottle of TIDE for $1 more than Seventh Generation... So you see, there's a choice... People can also purchase organic foods and healthier packaged items on lower incomes too. It takes work especially on a tight budget (trust me, I know.) But what's more important than your health? Chemical avoidance should be an integral part of every cancer patients world..

I do know that *certain* breast cancers turn out to be nothing. I also know first-hand that fibrocystic breast *disease* can absolutely be reversed with the protocol I am using, but you felt that was *dangerous* for me to even share here. Also, there is absolute proof breast biopsies can spread exisiting cancers, yet you chastised me for even mentioning this on the thread because the only way to know if something is cancer is to have it biopsied. That's not 100% true either.

Despite what you or others think, I will continue to share my story and get the word out there. No woman or man for that matter should ever feel so desperate that they cannot seek alternative means for healing and health. As for your touted science-based Retin A. A friend who attended a skincare conference shared with me that they are now advising against long-term use of Retin A because there is evidence that it thins the skin too much. Another reason to slather on that sunscreen.

Well, I'm done here... ~ Aprile
Wink
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Aug 2008
Posts: 2447
Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Aprile the reason I am asking for clarification and sources to what he says is because of that very fact I know how people who are in that situation will strive for anything.

I started up my own thread a few years ago on cancer and what we were going through where I detailed everything that was said to me, and had many recommendations given to me that were not only great but had backing and stuff behind it. That’s what I think this thread needs. Yes suggestions are great, but those with proof or facts behind them are so more important to me.

I understand its not just the lower income families who eat poorly, but the comment was in relation to people doing the best they can with what they have and not being made to feel guilty or that they are causing cancer.

I didn’t answer Panos question in full because I know that he was not asking for proper information but in an attempt to distract from answering the many questions put to him. I am more than happy to go into great detail, but I am not the one making vast recommendations to people so don’t see why I should?

I agree with you that no woman or man should ever feel so desperate that they cannot seek alternative means for healing and health, but people have a right to factual information and information which there are proper studies behind. There’s nothing wrong with mentioning and talking about things like Gestalt or even Dr Howard, but when its proported that its just a matter of drinking orange juice or that you need to read behind the words – that in my mind is a gross misinterpretation of what is an otherwise well thought out system.

As for my touted science – you just have to look at pub med for that research. You say “They” and who are “they”? I have been on Retin A for well over 30 years now, and am aware of a recent paper (albeit a European one) that actually said that Retin A was beneficial despite its high costs. The thinning of the skin is actually known already, whilst it does thin the topmost layer, it actually thickens the inner and bottom derma layer so its not strictly true – but you can believe your friend all you want. Their opinion outweights 30 years worth plus of medical and scientific studies for sure!

I'm also done, we're just going round in circles and its not getting anyone anywhere.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 944
Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
Nonie aka AD wrote:

panoslydios Why are your quotes always so vague with no citations? What people are you talking about who live in the Pacific Island wholly on coconuts alone, because I haven't come across any such info anywhere?


Perhaps because after a recent link/"citation" posted by said EDS member with regard to an unnamed african tribe of supposedly great longevity, in another topic, I foolishly took the time to reply, with no response of course, as to why this common internet hoax was being posted on EDS as a "fact" -

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6512101#6512101

What is happening to EDS?

I dare not click on any topic these days for fear of having to scroll through pages of nonsense about human giants, 200 year old himalayans, and african men who generously decide to kill themselves at age 250 "to make space for the youngers" (while still looking young and fabulous, obviously). Not forgetting the 68 yr old Indian woman, "who looked like a child ,taht never ate or drunk anything but did her housework like the rest of women".
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 1149
Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
For those who are following this discussion and want to know more about the detrimental affect that poor diet can have on health, including increased cancer risk, below is an excellent audio link from a press conference hosted by Green America. Green America is the driving force behind GMO labeling in the U.S. They are calling upon General Mills, the largest food producers in the U.S. to remove all GMOS from their products, beginning with Cherrios. As you know, Cherrios is often one of the first solid foods parents feed their young babies.

According to their polls, 93 of Americans are in favor of labelling and want to know what they are eating. Sadly, only 26% of Americans acknowledged that they have *probably* consumed GMOs...leaving a vast majority of consumers in the dark. However, General Mills, on one of the largest food suppliers has spent well over $1 million dollars to fight this campaign to label our foods. The GMA (Grocery Manufacturer's Association has also been fighting at every level to avoid labeling to the tune of $2.4 million dollars. Yet evidence is mounting and proves that since their introduction into the U.S. food supply around 1996, there has been a steep decline in health. More importantly a rise in cancer, auto-immune disease, conditions such as leaky gut, food allergies, and more. Labelling foods would allow consumers to the right to know what they are eating. At the present time, the only guarantee we have is to choose USDA organic. However, if this bill is passed, consumers who aren't living in areas where they have access to organic or can't afford organic, can be reassured by proper food labelling.

http://www.hastingsgroupmedia.com/GreenAmerica/GMOInsideCheeriosReport.mp3
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 1149
Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
More information below, so that you can see who was in attendance at this conference, and their credentials:

http://gmoinside.org/green-america-general-mills-maker-of-cheerios-flunks-corporate-leadership-test-on-handling-of-genetically-modified-organisms-in-food/

Video on Cherrios & GMOs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbiDgOkhoyY&feature=youtu.be

And this:
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/united-states/clinicians-point-to-gmo-safety-concerns-306200.html
jazzi
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 186
Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, but I had to laugh. Anyone who feeds babies breakfast cereal needs not be concerned about GMO, organic or truganic, or whatever esle. They have a lot bigger issues going on there.
It's like eating organic candy and wondering why teeth rot, because organic is good for you so it shouldn't harm enamel. (Candy is almost entirely made out of sugar, btw. Even organic ones.) Sounds weird? Try reading the whole thread from a neutral perspective, it's like being in room with people who all have all been given identical 15 cm long yellow pencils, yet someone claims theirs is shorter and blue and another one argues that sky is actually red, not blue. Nothing to do with pencils, you say? My point exactly.

_________________
Do what all good pragmatists do. Compromise.
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 1149
Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:57 am      Reply with quote
jazzi wrote:
Sorry, but I had to laugh. Anyone who feeds babies breakfast cereal needs not be concerned about GMO, organic or truganic, or whatever esle. They have a lot bigger issues going on there.
It's like eating organic candy and wondering why teeth rot, because organic is good for you so it shouldn't harm enamel. (Candy is almost entirely made out of sugar, btw. Even organic ones.) Sounds weird? Try reading the whole thread from a neutral perspective, it's like being in room with people who all have all been given identical 15 cm long yellow pencils, yet someone claims theirs is shorter and blue and another one argues that sky is actually red, not blue. Nothing to do with pencils, you say? My point exactly.


Obvious point Jazzi. But even parents who *try* to do the right thing will continue to feed their babies snacks like Cherrios or teething biscuits. So let me be clear - you don't think there's anything wrong with introducing something into the food chain that has not been proven safe? In my book, that's called "non-disclosure" OR "deception" and that IS a big issue. Speaking of candy, it's Halloween today in the U.S. and millions of unsuspecting parents will be taking their little ones trick or treating -- begging for GMO candy. Of course candy is sugar and even organic sugar isn't good for us -- that's the understatement of the year. But, the holiday is not going away any time soon. You don't think GMO candy is far scarier than the candy we ate as kids? Also since sugar isn't good for you, does that mean you don’t buy candy? (FWIW, I won’t – because I won't support GMO companies).

As for *real food*, many families cannot afford or even FIND organic where they live. Does that mean they should not be afforded the security of knowing the produce, meat, dairy or even packaged foods they buy is safe?

To be clear, when GMOs were first introduced into the food chain they were *sold* to the public as a way to feed the world. Now they can be found in almost every *packaged* food on the grocery shelves, including condiments that even *healthy eaters* consume things like mayonaise, salad dressing, honey, spices, ketchup, etc. Beer drinkers beware: Most beers contain other ingredients besides what you'd expect them to contain - GMOs. Sadly, most people are completely unaware. Since GMOs CONTAIN pesticides, we are basically eating Franken Food. We ARE the great Science Experiment. Even produce PLU codes are misleading at best.

For those who are going to shout WHERE ARE THE STUDIES THAT PROVE GMOs ARE UNSAFE? How long do we have to wait? GMOs have already been proven unsafe in lab animals. It would take years or decades to be able to prove and link disease to GMOs. Anyway, is any governing body willing to do that? But more importantly, children are the most vulnerable. The doctors in this video are talking about illnesses and conditions they've never seen before in their practices. "In March 2001, the Center for Disease Control reported that food is responsible for twice the number of illnesses in the U.S. compared to estimates just seven years earlier. This increase roughly corresponds to the period when Americans have been eating GM food."

http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/why-should-i-avoid-gmos.html

I SUPPORT LEGISLATION TO LABEL ALL GMO FOODS. IT'S OUR RIGHT TO CHOOSE!!!

**As for the "neutral persepective" - sounds like a lame excuse for not making ones mind up. Imagine if that happened in an election. Lol.**
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:44 am      Reply with quote
aprile wrote:

**As for the "neutral persepective" - sounds like a lame excuse for not making ones mind up. Imagine if that happened in an election. Lol.**


I don't think that was Jazzi's point at all.

(But aside from that, I would like to see GMO's labeled as well.)
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 6560
Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
With reference to living off light and air - this story hit the news today:

Michelle Pfeiffer Reveals She Was In A Breatharian Cult As A Young Actress[b]
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/04/michelle-pfeiffer-breatharian-cult_n_4211812.html

_________________
Born 1950. There's a new cream on the market that gets rid of wrinkles - you smear it on the mirror!!
Deb Crowley
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 20 Jun 2011
Posts: 133
Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everybody,

Here is a tip I think some of you may really find helpful.

I’ve had lower back pain off and on for some time now (mild arthritis... compliments of bodybuilding) I was doing some research and found that ginger works wonders for arthritis and other problems as well. Kills inflammation bigtime. Please take a little time and read the link below. Now here is something that I think most don’t know... It also can clear rosacea. It doesn’t mention it on the link but a friend of mine said she has managed to clear herself of rosacea by drinking Ginger root tea. I looked up on the net to see if anyone else had such a claim and sure enough there are several reviews about ginger root doing just that! I don’t suffer from rosacea but many of my clients do and it can interfere with their training.


Here is how I make my ginger tea. I don’t care for any of the ginger teas purchased at the store (not my favorite flavor and don’t want to add sugar) so I make my own... I buy a tea made by GOOD EARTH called ‘Original SWEET & SPICY’ It’s made with cinnamon and other spices and is naturally sweet; so much so that they have to say on the box “no sugar added’ or you wouldn’t believe it.

I buy fresh ginger root, grate about ½ inch, put it in a little mesh-screen holder for loose tea, and drop it into the cup of sweet/spicy tea. I LOVE IT! I drink it 3 times a day (no caffeine) It has done wonders for my back pain.

Ginger Link: Great Info.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice%26dbid=72

_________________
Founder of FlexEffect Facialbuilding. My Photo Journal: FlexEffect.com/deb-photos
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 6560
Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Deb, the above information is of interest to me. But for those who don't want to drink the tea, I found this:

Quote:
Arthritis. Some research shows that taking ginger can modestly reduce pain in some people with a form of arthritis called “osteoarthritis.” One study shows that taking a specific ginger extract (Zintona EC) 250 mg four times daily reduced arthritis pain in the knee after 3 months of treatment. Another study shows that using a different ginger extract (Eurovita Extract 77; EV ext-77), which combines a ginger with alpinia also reduces pain upon standing, pain after walking, and stiffness. Some research has compared ginger to medications such as ibuprofen. In one study, a specific ginger extract (Eurovita Extract 33; EV ext-33) did not work as well as taking ibuprofen 400 mg three times daily for reducing arthritis pain. But in another study, taking ginger extract 500 mg twice daily worked about as well as ibuprofen 400 mg three times daily for hip and knee pain related to arthritis. In another study, a specific ginger extract combined with glucosamine (Zinaxin glucosamine, EV ext-35) worked as well as the anti-inflamatory medication diclofenac slow release 100 mg daily plus glucosamine sulfate 1 gram daily.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/961.html

_________________
Born 1950. There's a new cream on the market that gets rid of wrinkles - you smear it on the mirror!!
Deb Crowley
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 20 Jun 2011
Posts: 133
Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Don't know why the link above is not working...

Just go to http://www.whfoods.com

Search under spices and click on Ginger. Also take a look at Cinnamon...you'll see why you might want to put these two together.

________________

Hi Keliu,
Good find! Got to say for me... One more pill and I just might kill myself Laughing

_________________
Founder of FlexEffect Facialbuilding. My Photo Journal: FlexEffect.com/deb-photos
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Posts: 782
Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Deb Crowley wrote:
Just go to http://www.whfoods.com

Search under spices and click on Ginger. Also take a look at Cinnamon...you'll see why you might want to put these two together.


And yet the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) says;

it is unclear whether ginger is effective in treating rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, or joint and muscle pain;

and

high-quality clinical evidence (i.e., studies in people) to support the use of cinnamon for any medical condition is generally lacking.

Those opinions are based on a review of all the evidence, rather than the results of a few isolated studies which show positive results (aka cherry-picking the evidence).

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/ginger

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/cinnamon?nav=gsa

_________________
Born 1953; Blonde-Blue; Normal skin
Marie-Andree
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 66
Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
I have no inflammation problems, but I love my ginger. I used to take it immoderately and lost too much body fat. I now limit myself to twice a day.
I use the organic Frontier ground ginger root (excellent price at iherb.com).
I mix a heaping silicone baby spoon of ginger powder into 2 inches of cold water, add 1/8 teaspoon of Kal stevia powder, and mix. Delicious. I might start adding some of my ceylon cinnamon. Why not?
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 1149
Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Deb Crowley wrote:
Don't know why the link above is not working...

Just go to http://www.whfoods.com

Search under spices and click on Ginger. Also take a look at Cinnamon...you'll see why you might want to put these two together.

________________

Hi Keliu,
Good find! Got to say for me... One more pill and I just might kill myself Laughing




Thanks for sharing Deb - Always love to find those healthy natural alternatives!!! Ginger is a great natural anti-inflammatory & those who love ginger snaps will love the taste combined with cinnamon!!! Lol. Smile
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 1149
Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Great article from Natural News "National Cancer Institute report admits millions have been falsely treated for 'cancer'"


Hmmm..... Shock WHAT A SURPRISE!!!

http://www.naturalnews.com/042789_National_Cancer_Institute_false_treatments_misdiagnosis_epidemic.html
Kath91
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 May 2012
Posts: 224
Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
Gee, April, that’s troublesome ^^.
Here’s an obituary-type story that a friend from Pittsburgh, PA shared w/ us regarding an individual we knew that was highly respected and admired and whose cancer returned. I never did ask for more details e.g. why Medicare [U.S. Senior Citizen Health Funds] etc. weren’t utilized for this elderly lady’s care nor many other details, but, the story is sad and poignant in outlining how anyone even w/ a prestigious job, can fall between the cracks w/o sufficient income nor medical insurance..

When cancer is again wreaking havoc in someone’s life, the stress of it all also takes its toll!

Death of an Adjunct Professor
September 18, 2013 --- By Daniel Kovalik

On Sept. 1, Margaret Mary Vojtko, an adjunct professor who had taught French at Duquesne University for 25 years, passed away at the age of 83. She died as the result of a massive heart attack she suffered two weeks before. As it turned out, I may have been the last person she talked to.

On Aug. 16, I received a call from a very upset Margaret Mary. She told me that she was under an incredible amount of stress. She was receiving radiation therapy for the cancer that had just returned to her, she was living nearly homeless because she could not afford the upkeep on her home, which was literally falling in on itself, and now, she explained, she had received another indignity -- a letter from Adult Protective Services telling her that someone had referred her case to them saying that she needed assistance in taking care of herself. The letter said that if she did not meet with the caseworker the following Monday, her case would be turned over to Orphans' Court.

For a proud professional like Margaret Mary, this was the last straw; she was mortified. She begged me to call Adult Protective Services and tell them to leave her alone, that she could take care of herself and did not need their help. I agreed to. Sadly, a couple of hours later, she was found on her front lawn, unconscious from a heart attack. She never regained consciousness.

Meanwhile, I called Adult Protective Services right after talking to Margaret Mary, and I explained the situation. I said that she had just been let go from her job as a professor at Duquesne, that she was given no severance or retirement benefits, and that the reason she was having trouble taking care of herself was because she was living in extreme poverty. The caseworker paused and asked with incredulity, "She was a professor?" I said yes. The caseworker was shocked; this was not the usual type of person for whom she was called in to help.

Of course, what the caseworker didn't understand was that Margaret Mary was an adjunct professor, meaning that, unlike a well-paid tenured professor, Margaret Mary worked on a contract basis from semester to semester, with no job security, no benefits and with a salary of between $3,000 and just over $3,500 per three-credit course. Adjuncts now make up well over 50 percent of the faculty at colleges and universities.

As amazing as it sounds, Margaret Mary, a 25-year professor, was not making ends meet. Even during the best of times, when she was teaching three classes a semester and two during the summer, she was not even clearing $25,000 a year, and she received absolutely no health care benefits. Compare this with the salary of Duquesne's president, who makes more than $700,000 with full benefits.

Meanwhile, in the past year, her teaching load had been reduced by the university to one class a semester, which meant she was making well below $10,000 a year. With huge out-of-pocket bills from UPMC Mercy for her cancer treatment, Margaret Mary was left in abject penury. She could no longer keep her electricity on in her home, which became uninhabitable during the winter. She therefore took to working at an Eat'n Park at night and then trying to catch some sleep during the day at her office at Duquesne. When this was discovered by the university, the police were called in to eject her from her office. Still, despite her cancer and her poverty, she never missed a day of class.

Finally, in the spring, she was let go by the university, which told her she was no longer effective as an instructor -- despite many glowing evaluations from students. She came to me to seek legal help to try to save her job. She said that all she wanted was money to pay her medical bills because Duquesne, which never paid her much to begin with, gave her nothing on her way out the door.

Duquesne knew all about Margaret Mary's plight, for I apprised them of it in two letters. I never received a reply, and Margaret Mary was forced to die saddened, penniless and on the verge of being turned over to Orphan's Court.
The funeral Mass for Margaret Mary, a devout Catholic, was held at Epiphany Church, only a few blocks from Duquesne. The priest who said Mass was from the University of Dayton, another Catholic university and my alma mater. Margaret Mary was laid out in a simple, cardboard casket devoid of any handles for pallbearers -- a sad sight, but an honest symbol of what she had been reduced to by her ostensibly Catholic employer.

Her nephew, who had contacted me about her passing, implored me to make sure that she didn't die in vain. He said that while there was nothing that could be done for Margaret Mary, we had to help the other adjuncts at Duquesne and other universities who were being treated just as she was, and who could end up just like she did. I believe that writing this story is the first step in doing just that.

Daniel Kovalik is senior associate general counsel of the United Steelworkers union


http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/opinion/perspectives/death-of-an-adjunct-703773/
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 6560
Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:31 am      Reply with quote
On a more positive note: A new centre for the treatment of cancer has opened up in Sydney, Australia this month. The centre was conceived by an oncology doctor who featured on a documentary style TV show featuring patients from the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. In a horrible twist of fate the doctor was diagnosed with a very aggressive brain tumour and consequently died. (His battle was also documented on the show). However, his wife wanted to see his dream of a cancer centre fulfilled and continued his work to see the it become a reality. The centre will be available to everyone, regardless of economic standing. It will also offer alternative as well as traditional treatments.

Quote:
Lifehouse will offer alternative medicine treatments and psychological services for patients such as massage, meditation, acupuncture, music therapy and yoga.

''We know 50 per cent of patients seek some kind of alternative therapy, but quite often they won't tell their doctor about it,'' he said. ''What we hope to do over time is combine the records of these therapies with our traditional medical records so we will be able to develop an evidence base to see the impact these therapies are having on treatment.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/from-dying-wish-to-real-option-in-cancer-fight-20131105-2wzqw.html#ixzz2jxgv6RjT


http://www.lifehouserpa.org.au/Lifehouse/About_Lifehouse.aspx

_________________
Born 1950. There's a new cream on the market that gets rid of wrinkles - you smear it on the mirror!!
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Jun 2011
Posts: 1362
Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:48 am      Reply with quote
I heard on the radio yesterday about a treatment for cancer using electricity. It is still in the experimental stages but they are having some success on animals. It is used when the tumor is in an area that cannot be operated on safely. I didn't catch the name of the treatment.

_________________
Everything has beauty but not everyone sees it
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 1149
Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:52 am      Reply with quote
Oh my God Kath- Yeah that's the Catholic Church in its finest hour I guess. It's hard to fathom that life could be so cruel. That poor woman deserved a far better fate, but we see how this is an example of how cancer *treatment* can literally destroy people physically, mentally and financially. It doesn't need to be that way! Even those who have no mortage payments anymore, still have bills to pay. People in America are forced to pay more and more for healthcare (misnomer) and those without Healthcare, are now being forced to purchase it regardless of their income levels. It's a mess. When it comes to cancer, on top of the insurance premiums, patients are paying tremendous copays for these toxic treatments. Current salary levels for the average worker do not match the inflation rate. Despite all that, many company executives, in this case the university higher ups remain unaffected by all of this. Hell, Wall Street execs should be seeing a huge bonus come year end, for the supposed job well done. This economic boost is short lived, everybody knows it.. Indeed it's a very sad state of affairs. No one should have to die the way Mary Margaret did - weakened, scared, and stripped of her dignity. God rest her soul.
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 1149
Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:01 am      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:
Deb Crowley wrote:
Just go to http://www.whfoods.com

Search under spices and click on Ginger. Also take a look at Cinnamon...you'll see why you might want to put these two together.


And yet the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) says;

it is unclear whether ginger is effective in treating rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, or joint and muscle pain;

and

high-quality clinical evidence (i.e., studies in people) to support the use of cinnamon for any medical condition is generally lacking.

Those opinions are based on a review of all the evidence, rather than the results of a few isolated studies which show positive results (aka cherry-picking the evidence).

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/ginger

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/cinnamon?nav=gsa


@Lacy - Who really cares about the NIH studies? You do realize that it would not be in their best interests to declare ginger and cinnamon anti-inflamatories? Pharmaceuticals baby - That's what makes this country tick. Btw, Deb is allowed to post something that works for her without supporting it with studies.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Sep 2008
Posts: 956
Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Most people I know who have actually tried ginger... which is a food and short of an allergy offers zero danger in trying... report improvements in the way they feel and don't hurt.

I think most will find, most studies are done because there aren't adequate studies already proving the topic of choice.

People tend to notice things. They are reported often. They warrant a study.

HELLO... if we all sat around with.. Well, current science doesn't support ABC. We shouldn't try something super safe as it stands.. then we would never have NEW science.

It's not like Deb suggested you swallow bathroom cleaner to work on your pain. She suggested a food. If you must wait for science to tell you that a food found easily in your grocery store might make you feel better. Then by all means... WAIT. Wait for someone to finance a study on a food. But they won't. Cause they can't patent the food (unless of course it's GMO Wink ) and they make a ton of money...

I however, KNOW people who can not function on today's science. It's completely inadequate for their pain.

Really? Don't try a FOOD? Because there's not "high-quality clinical evidence".

A FOOD??????? Realize of course. It may do nothing for you. You could be out a few bucks and gas for shopping. Maybe squeeze that purchase in your regular shopping.

My favorite Ginger recipe... Juice 1 beet, 1/2" ginger, and 1/2 lemon. I love the sour & spicy. Likely to be a bit strong for many. I don't sweeten. But if I was, I'd go with a local honey. I usually drink it over ice. It might be tasty warm. Lots of Unproven reasons to try that! Liver cleansing, PH Balancing of what hits the tummy, and anti inflam. Don't try it if you need a study... I don't have one! I pulled these ingrediants from a book having to do with Liver Health... A clean and unchallanged liver helps maintain a healthy body. (I live in the wine country, so I think of my liver a lot! LOL!)

_________________
Claudia of FlexEffect... 43, fair skin, occasional breakout, Using ECO FROG (my own=disclaimer), and TrueScience (I also sell this)... Happy with that...Come visit on FB!
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Posts: 782
Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:45 am      Reply with quote
aprile wrote:
Great article from Natural News "National Cancer Institute report admits millions have been falsely treated for 'cancer'"
Hmmm..... Shock WHAT A SURPRISE!!!

http://www.naturalnews.com/042789_National_Cancer_Institute_false_treatments_misdiagnosis_epidemic.html


Oh for heaven's sake, don't believe everything you read on that Natural News website! The JAMA article clearly states:

Physicians, patients, and the general public must recognize that overdiagnosis is common and occurs more frequently with cancer screening. Overdiagnosis, or identification of indolent cancer, is common in breast, lung, prostate, and thyroid cancer. Whenever screening is used, the fraction of tumors in this category increases. By acknowledging this consequence of screening, approaches that mitigate the problem can be tested.

Rephrasing the above in simple English (in case you are having problems interpreting the above), the authors are saying cancer screening always leads to an increase in overdiagnosis of breast, lung, prostate, and thyroid cancer. Always! It's not a surprise to anyone in the medical community who is aware of the issues surrounding cancer screening. Furthermore, "overdiagnosis" does not mean what you think it means either. The JAMA article clearly states that:

"overdiagnosis" occurs when tumors are detected that, if left unattended, would not become clinically apparent or cause death. Overdiagnosis, if not recognized, generally leads to overtreatment.

I can personally think of 3 reasons why overdiagnosis may lead to overtreatment (and I'm not a doctor, just a lay person):

First of all, an individual who participates in a screening program which detects a tumor is more likely to assume that they will need cancer treatment. The fear of cancer and the possibility of death will compel patients to want and seek unnecessary treatment. If medical personnel suggest a "wait and see" (do nothing) approach, patients will conclude that their doctor is denying them what they need to survive. Ignorance and fear in the patient encourages overtreatment.

Secondly, some doctors will promote overtreatment either through medical uncertainty (they recommend treatment for all patients with positive screening results); for their own personal reasons (fear of lawsuits if the patient later develops full-blown cancer; financial gain from treatment) or for patient satisfaction (doing what the patient wants, regardless of the medically recommended protocol).

Finally, screening programs and medical knowledge is incomplete and sub-optimal. Given a perfect world, doctors would be able to determine exactly which tumors are threats to the patient's life in the future and which tumors are indolent (non-threatening, slow growing, isolated, and painless). They would then only treat the cancerous tumors which lead to suffering and eventual death, while ignoring those others which are basically harmless. But at this time, medical diagnostics isn't at that point (yet), and the available technology isn't evolved enough to make those nuanced distinctions in all cases. As the JAMA article states:

An ideal screening intervention focuses on detection of disease that will ultimately cause harm, that is more likely to be cured if detected early, and for which curative treatments are more effective in early-stage disease. Going forward, the ability to design better screening programs will depend on the ability to better characterize the biology of the disease detected and to use disease dynamics (behavior over time) and molecular diagnostics that determine whether cancer will be aggressive or indolent to avoid overtreatment.

Erring on the side of caution leads to cancer overtreatment. Nothing to do with "misdiagnosis" as suggested by the Natural News article either; cancer is cancer. As far as the proposed theory that cancer is really the body's attempt to survive, not an outside 'attack' as proposed by Sayer Ji, he should stick to philosophy (his major at university) and leave the science of cancer to oncology researchers (who know what they are talking about).

Really, anyone who relies solely on Natural News for their medical/health information needs to expand their sources of information. Read the actual journal articles if possible, and expand your sources to include the mainstream media to get a more balanced and accurate view of the issue. Relying on one alternative-biased source of information really skews your opinion on the topic, especially when it contains so much misinformation and half-truths.

_________________
Born 1953; Blonde-Blue; Normal skin
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Posts: 782
Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:20 am      Reply with quote
aprile wrote:
Lacy53 wrote:
Deb Crowley wrote:
Just go to http://www.whfoods.com

Search under spices and click on Ginger. Also take a look at Cinnamon...you'll see why you might want to put these two together.


And yet the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) says;

it is unclear whether ginger is effective in treating rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, or joint and muscle pain;

and

high-quality clinical evidence (i.e., studies in people) to support the use of cinnamon for any medical condition is generally lacking.

Those opinions are based on a review of all the evidence, rather than the results of a few isolated studies which show positive results (aka cherry-picking the evidence).

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/ginger

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/cinnamon?nav=gsa


@Lacy - Who really cares about the NIH studies? You do realize that it would not be in their best interests to declare ginger and cinnamon anti-inflamatories? Pharmaceuticals baby - That's what makes this country tick. Btw, Deb is allowed to post something that works for her without supporting it with studies.


Actually Aprile, as an American you really should care what the NIH says since those are your tax dollars hard at work funding those studies! The NCCAM was set up to study and evaluate alternative health treatments; their goal is to find something that actually does work that is not pharmaceutical. Since inception the have "invested" over $2 billion (of taxpayers money) in those research studies and (to date) have found nothing of any real value.

Yes, Deb is allowed to post what works for her; no argument there.

<modsnip>

There is no harm in looking at what researchers say; after all, personal anecdotes are biased and are subject to placebo effects - good scientific research eliminates the subjective experience.

Actually it would be in the best interests of the pharmaceutical industry to find that ginger and cinnamon have bioactive ingredients with therapeutic value! They could then isolate the specific ingredient, synthesize it in the lab, patent it, and create a new medicine to sell to the public. Progress baby - no need to destroy crops or harvest from nature by hand, and the land could be repurposed (to grow food for the hungry, rather than cinnamon and ginger). That branch of the pharmaceutical industry is called Pharmacognosy:

The American Society of Pharmacognosy defines pharmacognosy as "the study of the physical, chemical, biochemical and biological properties of drugs, drug substances or potential drugs or drug substances of natural origin as well as the search for new drugs from natural sources."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmacognosy

_________________
Born 1953; Blonde-Blue; Normal skin
System
Automatic Message
Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Sothys Anti-Ageing Comfort Cream - Grade 2 (50 ml / 1.69 floz) Orlane 24 Hour Hydration Limited Edition (50 ml) Dr Dennis Gross Age Erase Moisture with Mega 10 Plus for Eyes (15 ml / 0.5 floz)