Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Painful reaction to skin creams
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Amber67

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
For some time now I have found that after cleansing and applying night cream I experience painful stinging. I have tried a great many creams which all have the same effect - Clarins, Estee Lauder, Clinique & Ella Bache etc.

In desperation one evening I even tried Sorbolene which had the same effect. Changing method of cleansing made no difference.

I have also found that these creams which sting at night are not painful when used in the morning.

Has anyone else experienced this or can anyone give helpful advice.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Do you cleanse the same way before use in the morning?

What do you use for cleansing? And how do you cleanse, i.e. with your fingers, a microfibre cloth, grains, clarisonic?

And what are the ingredients in these creams? You mentioned brand names, but not active ingredients.

Do you follow up with sunscreen or anything else in the morning?

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Amber67

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

I do not cleanse in the morning and at this time of year do not use daily sunscreen as I am not outdoors a lot.

I have used Clarins Extra Comfort Cleansing cream and Aqueous Cream which is a Pharmacy Choice product. I have tried rinsing off with special face washed & warm water and have also used make-up remover pads but do feel the extra friction caused by these may be a problem. Either way though, the problem still persists.

Aqueous cream lists purified water; white soft paraffin; phenoxyethanol and sodium laurel sulphate as ingredients.

The Clarins product is Gentle Foaming cleanser with Shea Butter.

Does any of this throw any light on the problem?
Amber67

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
Spelling error - should read face washer.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:33 am      Reply with quote
Both cleansing products you mention contain SLS. Maybe that is what your skin doesn't like.
Try a non-foaming cleanser, oil based, or just use lukewarm water and a (clean) washcloth for a while, see if that makes a difference.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:52 am      Reply with quote
^^ Yes, I agree. I'd re-think your cleansers.

I'd also skip the washcloth and whatever the "face washer" is because of, as you mentioned, the friction. It's probably your main culprit. Even if your cleanser is irritating, not rubbing it in, or "insisting it" upon your skin barrier, will help. Maybe also wait a while after cleansing before applying your creams?

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Amber67

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
Grateful thanks to Lotusesther and loriA, your advice is much appreciated.

This problem has been bothering me for months because for most of that time I was blaming the night creams, not the cleanser.

I am so relieved that correcting the problem may be so easy and will follow the advice from you both.

Obviously, wash cloth is what you call our face washer, something else I have learned.
beccachan
5% products discount

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Maybe you need to repair your skin barrier.
Try products with EGF, such as Dr ci: labo aqua collagen gel for sensitive skin.
Amber67

Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for your advice, I think you may be right as I have bought a Dr Lewins products with no SLS and my skin still stings. Not as badly as before but it is still uncomfortable nevertheless.

I will have to do more research to find a product with EGF, I don't recognise the one you mention, it is probably not sold in Australia.

Must persevere until I find the correct solution.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |