Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Topical products that have/have not worked well ?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:53 am      Reply with quote
for your skin?

improved:

retinoids, zinc based sunscreens, various vitamin A,C & E formulas, glycolic acids, TCA/Jessners peels, various hormone based topicals, CeraVe and Aquaphor, DHC cleansing oil, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, Palmers coconut butter (for a tattoo)

no improvement:

anything from Oil of Olay, an expensive cream I used here. Too many sunscreens to count..mostly chemical based.

BFG
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Improved

SKin Bios -GHK serum, Fawnies- vit C serum, Retinol,Fawnies- Kinnag serum,Holy Grail serum, Epionance -Renewal cream, Environ- Cquench (after rolling), AntiAge serum,NCN -Matrxyl serum, NCN- CP accelerator cream. Skin Bios- Emu oil.My own OCM mixture, Epionce melanocyte serum, Skin Bios lacsal serum, Invisible Zinc sunscreen, suntegrity sunscreen,

Not improved

NCN -DNA serum,Tata Harper rejuvenation cream, clarisonic cleanser,any toner at all,Any Nivea product, Some Sunscreens

Think thats it so far!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Improved:

- Retinoids
- physical suncreen
- DIY cleansing oil
- DIY serum
- Chagrin Valley cleansing bars, shea butter
- Skin Biology GHK serum

No improvement:
- hard to say as I had just paid attention to my skin few years ago and purchased a few brands only like Kiehl's & Neutrogena

Testing
- Cerave Moisturizing Lotion
- Epionce Medical Barrier Cream
beccachan
5% products discount

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Improved:Kiehl's Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Solution

No improvemet: HR Re-plasty age recovery
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:56 am      Reply with quote
Improved

Retin A
Vit C
Glycolic Acid
TCA peels
Ante Age
Physical sunscreen

No Improvement

Don't have a half and hour to list

Trying

SkinMedica Lytera
Epionce MBC, Lytic and renewal lotion

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
Improvement:
Ageless Secret - Gold formula only.
NCN DNA serum and lately combining with ALA (C) powder (from PHilosophy) A great combo even for hands. Have used DNA serum for a few years.
copper peptides (a staple)
new fav but not time-tested for me: Estriol cream from smokey mountain naturals

No improvement:
Retin A - sadly (nothing ~ have tried for years)

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
What worked:
Retin A, AHA peels, hyrdocortisone cream for occasional redness.

What didn't work:

Tons of different moisturizers and serums. I have tried some of the best DIY and non-DIY formulas, all useless.

Undecided:

Lifeline, Vitamin C serums.

Trying:

Epionce
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
WORKED
-Retin A
-Products with 2% Salicylic Acid
-Masks with lots of Sulfer

DIDN'T WORK
-Products that claimed to improve acne prone skin that did not have high percents of the above ingredients
-Products with Peroxide

(My list is specifically for acne prone aging skin)
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
Improved:

-ascorbic acid (I was shocked at how well it worked for something so cheap and easy!)
-low lactic acid + salicylic acid combo for pore size
-anhydrous uncoated zinc oxide sunscreen
-sqalane/olive oil unsaponifiables/most oil soluble actives even though I have oily skin
-ocm and oil based scrubs vs. surfactant cleansers

Didn't work:

-peptides and amino acids (but I want to try carnosine sometime soon)
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
How about what ruined my skin?

Liz earle's mositurisers..
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:18 am      Reply with quote
Liz earle's has a few mositurisers so which one did you use and how long? You were doing a lot to your skin, and I'm surprised that her product could have ruined your skin because its all natural ingredients. Your routine was quite complex at one point, are you certain it was that product?
Salome_B wrote:

bullet875
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Topicals that have worked:

Cerave moisturizer (both lotion and cream)
Retin-A
Tazorac
DIY fruit extract - blueberry/pomegranate/green tea
DIY Oil- mixture of blueberry, pomegranate, E, seabuckthorn, maracuja, rosehips, argan and a couple that I don't remember.
Juice Organics Pomegranate moisturizer
H2O Plus whitening Essence
Juice Beauty Soothing Serum
Paula's Choice Calm Serum

Things that didn't work:
Everything else

The things that have worked the best are taking many of the above topicals internally (when appropriate) and taking collgen pills/drinking collagen powder mixed in whey powder. I upped my protein intake from 35 gs to over 100gs (I do work out as well).
chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
Have worked :

- 2% 8% BHA-AHA (pro-derm) help pores and black heads.

- serum with vit C reduced brown spot and skin is brighter.

-Alyria revitalazing cream (Matrixyl). Skin is smooter and fine lines appear reduced or less noticable + eyes contours also looks fresher and I got ride of most of my eyes puffiness problems.

Did not work : Many serums such as, Genefique or any department store cosmetics, like estee Lauder.

Have never gotten any improvement from retin A Sad
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Liz earle's has a few mositurisers so which one did you use and how long? You were doing a lot to your skin, and I'm surprised that her product could have ruined your skin because its all natural ingredients. Your routine was quite complex at one point, are you certain it was that product?
Salome_B wrote:

Hmm
i bought two of her products

http://uk.lizearle.com/superskin/superskin-moisturiser.html

http://uk.lizearle.com/cleanse-tone-moisturise/skin-repair-moisturiser-dry-sensitive.html

it was the skin repair which damaged my skin.. because immediately after using my skin reacted.

i only use retin a everyday, aha moisturiser once a month. so far no screw up until i used liz earle
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:13 am      Reply with quote
Hmm well looking at those ingredients I don’t see anything that jumps out that would damage your skin, but perhaps it reacted with something you were previously using. Also with using AHA and Retin A, these are both acids and often have other ingredients in them, so depending on how soon after using one of these you applied the LE stuff it may have caused a reaction. Retin A really shouldn’t have anything used after it for up to 30 minutes before and after. So I’m wondering if that’s possible. Also LE has great customer service so you may want to email them with your results and ask them for their advice too. They’re pretty good.
Salome_B wrote:

http://uk.lizearle.com/cleanse-tone-moisturise/skin-repair-moisturiser-dry-sensitive.html

it was the skin repair which damaged my skin.. because immediately after using my skin reacted.

i only use retin a everyday, aha moisturiser once a month. so far no screw up until i used liz earle
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:17 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Hmm well looking at those ingredients I don’t see anything that jumps out that would damage your skin, but perhaps it reacted with something you were previously using. Also with using AHA and Retin A, these are both acids and often have other ingredients in them, so depending on how soon after using one of these you applied the LE stuff it may have caused a reaction. Retin A really shouldn’t have anything used after it for up to 30 minutes before and after. So I’m wondering if that’s possible. Also LE has great customer service so you may want to email them with your results and ask them for their advice too. They’re pretty good.
Salome_B wrote:

yes it was the liz earle product i am sure. never in my life has this happened.. should not have strayed.. they ignored me. Sad

nothing to do with aha or retin a, i used liz earle's moisturiser in the day and the first application i felt something wrong with my skin..
mur
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
Topicals that have worked for me:

Skinactives ELS
heavy oil-based moisturizers
creamy non-foaming cleansers & only washing my face at night (though I've been doing this for years)

Topicals that haven't worked:

Topical acids - AHAs and BHAs - they only irritate my skin and make things worse....

Unsure:

Vitamin C serum - I have only started experimenting with this a couple of weeks ago.

Retinols - I've been experimenting with Avene Eluage.... I think it's a little too harsh for my skin unfortunately.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:49 am      Reply with quote
The topicals I was referring to in the original post are the Janssen Beckett products, now the subject of an FDA investigation

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2012/ucm321111.htm

BFG
havana8

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:49 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
The topicals I was referring to in the original post are the Janssen Beckett products, now the subject of an FDA investigation

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2012/ucm321111.htm

BFG

Yes, they were one of several (including Skin Biology, Lancome and Avon) that received warning letters for misleading claims: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=47083
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:03 am      Reply with quote
If it was definitely the LE product and they ignored you - you shouldn't give up on complaining. They are usually pretty good and so I'm surprised you say they ignored you - as that's not been my experience with them.

It may be that the AHA or Retin A reacted with something in the product was what I was suggesting. I don't know that their products are for use in conjunction with these - as they are marketed as being kind of natural good for the skin things aren't they.

Having said that if you did stray and its caused damage to your skin then I wouldn't give up and would keep complaining till they do respond or complain to trading standards. They're UK based so have to be answerable and if you think its damaged your skin then I'd take action against them on all accounts.
Salome_B wrote:
yes it was the liz earle product i am sure. never in my life has this happened.. should not have strayed.. they ignored me. Sad

nothing to do with aha or retin a, i used liz earle's moisturiser in the day and the first application i felt something wrong with my skin..
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:14 am      Reply with quote
ok they finally replied..

Thank you for your recent email.

As we are not medically trained, we are unable to advise you further and would recommend consulting a healthcare professional for further advice.

Please call our Customer Centre directly on +44 1983 813913 if you require any further assistance.

i am sure it was the skin repair for dry/sensitive skin... a very evil cream which made my skin beyond sensitive...

am 100% sure it is the cream and not retin a and aha. because right after i applied the cream my skin began to redden and felt itchy and painful..

seen a derm who gave me elomet, elidel and desonide did not work.. he sent me away with desonide. i tried asking for something stronger but he did not want to give as it may thin my skin further..

he says just leave the skin alone.. let it heal..

am only using sunblock, ceradan (ceramide based cream for dermatitis) and cleanser

at the moment i can only use ceradan and earth science day hydrating cream.. hopefully by next month i can use retin a...

TheresaMary wrote:
If it was definitely the LE product and they ignored you - you shouldn't give up on complaining. They are usually pretty good and so I'm surprised you say they ignored you - as that's not been my experience with them.

It may be that the AHA or Retin A reacted with something in the product was what I was suggesting. I don't know that their products are for use in conjunction with these - as they are marketed as being kind of natural good for the skin things aren't they.

Having said that if you did stray and its caused damage to your skin then I wouldn't give up and would keep complaining till they do respond or complain to trading standards. They're UK based so have to be answerable and if you think its damaged your skin then I'd take action against them on all accounts.
Salome_B wrote:

jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Has worked:
Any tretinoin cream, gel, liquid, regardless of brand name, but they are all harsh IMO.
Retinol products from Skinceuticals and Perfect Complexion.
AHA, BHA, PHA mixes I make myself. This is one thing where DIY approach really pays off, I can play with percentages and mix anything my heart desires and it costs less than a box of matches.
Beta-glucan stuff! Also better to DIY, because sadly I have found that the ready-made or premixed beta-glucans do not compare to mixing up the powder at home, it's like comparing bicycle with Porsche. Anyway, this stuff is gold.
La Roche-Posay Cicaplast.
L-ascorbic acid serums from Cosmetic Skin Solutions.
Those green serums from Skinceuticals, Complexion Correction Gel and Phyto+. The knock-offs are crap and ruin skin, real deal works magic.
Vitamin B stuff, again, best to DIY, though, commercial stuff usually has just one kind in there and not enough strength to make a difference.
Developing a huge crush on ceramides, cholesterol and the skin-identical lipid stuff. Very underrated IMO.

No effect:
Any peptide stuff. Wasted on me. Copper peptides (1 gen/GHK-Cu) are the only exception, I think they work, but I have limited experience with them.
Well, any of the fancy actives from Sederma, Pentapharm, Vincience and Lipotec, actually. You know, those Colhibin, Haloxyl, Renovage and Reguage things are are virtually everywhere. Nothing, I see nothing.
Vitamin C derivatives, not comparable to L-ascorbic acid. Not as useless as peptides though, but the acid form in good formula (w/right solvents and pH) is the killer! Provided skin can handle the acid, that is.
And then long list of pretty much everything (well, ~95%) on the market. Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:34 am      Reply with quote
jazzi wrote:
Has worked:
Any tretinoin cream, gel, liquid, regardless of brand name, but they are all harsh IMO.
Retinol products from Skinceuticals and Perfect Complexion.
AHA, BHA, PHA mixes I make myself. This is one thing where DIY approach really pays off, I can play with percentages and mix anything my heart desires and it costs less than a box of matches.
Beta-glucan stuff! Also better to DIY, because sadly I have found that the ready-made or premixed beta-glucans do not compare to mixing up the powder at home, it's like comparing bicycle with Porsche. Anyway, this stuff is gold.
La Roche-Posay Cicaplast.
L-ascorbic acid serums from Cosmetic Skin Solutions.
Those green serums from Skinceuticals, Complexion Correction Gel and Phyto+. The knock-offs are crap and ruin skin, real deal works magic.
Vitamin B stuff, again, best to DIY, though, commercial stuff usually has just one kind in there and not enough strength to make a difference.
Developing a huge crush on ceramides, cholesterol and the skin-identical lipid stuff. Very underrated IMO.

No effect:
Any peptide stuff. Wasted on me. Copper peptides (1 gen/GHK-Cu) are the only exception, I think they work, but I have limited experience with them.
Well, any of the fancy actives from Sederma, Pentapharm, Vincience and Lipotec, actually. You know, those Colhibin, Haloxyl, Renovage and Reguage things are are virtually everywhere. Nothing, I see nothing.
Vitamin C derivatives, not comparable to L-ascorbic acid. Not as useless as peptides though, but the acid form in good formula (w/right solvents and pH) is the killer! Provided skin can handle the acid, that is.
And then long list of pretty much everything (well, ~95%) on the market. Bad Grin

what brand of ceramides you using? why you say under rated? i am using a ceramide cream too
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:30 am      Reply with quote
Salome_B wrote:
what brand of ceramides you using? why you say under rated? i am using a ceramide cream too

After realizing how much postive difference they make for my skin, it's strange that people aren't more into them. But then again, maybe it's just my skin that loves them so much, pehaps they just aren't as rave-worthy as stem cells or whatever vogue thing happens next year, seeing how inexpensive and unglamorous they are and have been around since forever.
Haven't found my true love yet, been trying things like Cetaphil Restorade, Beyer & Sohne and things like that, but it seems most of the prodcuts are geared towards eczema-prone skin and are quite rich. Still on the hunt for nice things.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:45 am      Reply with quote
jazzi wrote:
Salome_B wrote:

After realizing how much postive difference they make for my skin, it's strange that people aren't more into them. But then again, maybe it's just my skin that loves them so much, pehaps they just aren't as rave-worthy as stem cells or whatever vogue thing happens next year, seeing how inexpensive and unglamorous they are and have been around since forever.
Haven't found my true love yet, been trying things like Cetaphil Restorade, Beyer & Sohne and things like that, but it seems most of the prodcuts are geared towards eczema-prone skin and are quite rich. Still on the hunt for nice things.

It's not just your skin...it has made a huge difference for me as well!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |