Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do You Feel Uneasy About Beauty Products Packaged in Jars?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
For me, using products--especially moisturizers--packaged in jars gives me pause.

I wonder how much antioxidants are lost every time I open the jar, and I wonder if I'm contaminating the product when I put my finger--no matter how clean clean--in there. (Eminence Organics moisturizers come to mind)

What about you? Do you avoid beauty products that come in jars? If not, what measures do you take to protect the product's integrity?
Asturie

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:58 am      Reply with quote
I also dislike makeup or skin care products that come in jars instead of pump bottles. Designating a sterilized makeup spatula for that product would minimize contamination, but it's a hassle, for sure.
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:00 am      Reply with quote
Only product in a jar that has gone sour on me so far was some hair wax. And it simply separated, not sure whether it had anything to do with packaging, more like wrong choice of emulsifier.

Funny enough, I don't trust any of those pump, airless or whatever fancy things much. I've had more than one product gone rotten in this type of bottle. Literally, mold and rot. The whole program. In bottles that claimed to be airless and weren't open-able. So it's not any better, probably worse, since someone came up with the genious notion that putting product in that type of packaging needs less preservatives. Well, wrong, apparently. Laughing
Only exceptions are the fancy tubes that don't let any air back in or the really fancy ones with a pump on top. In general I trust tube type of packaging more. Never had any issues with those. And some brands like REN and La Roche-Posay have bottles with a bag in them and there are valve systems and such to really ensure that the content isn't contaminated, way more advanced than what normally passes for airless/pump packaging.
With jars and tubes I can get every last bit out of them. Those fancy bottles - lots of product stays in there, unless I smash the bottle (and there is always like a week's worth in there, even in those pumps where bottom travels up).
Unless I disinfect some scratch proof spatula before each dip in the jar, there is very little I can do to avoid contamination. Seems excessive.

I also believe that a properly formulated product will survive in a jar. Belief based on notoriously fragile actives like retinol, green tea etc. being fine after as long as a year in a jar. That had me dip with fingers in there and jars were stored in normal bathroom. And in half the cases those were clear jars. Either I'm very lucky or someone did a good job putting the stuff together.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:46 am      Reply with quote
I don't like jars. But of course I don't trust airless pumps to get out 100% of product either.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
LauraLizzie wrote:
I don't like jars. But of course I don't trust airless pumps to get out 100% of product either.

Two suggestions:

1. Turn the bottle upside down for a few minutes to force the product upward. That's what I do with my bottles of honey.

2. Cut up the bottle with a heavy-duty scissors to access the product
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
I do those things to get out every last drop. I was just saying I don't trust I am getting every last drop by the pump. I have to crack them open! Smile

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |