Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oral Myofacial Therapy
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
dickymoe
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/04/07/orofacial-myofunctional-therapy.aspx?e_cid=20130407_SNL_Art_1&utm_source=snl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20130407

In recent years, OMT has been even applied to the field of esthetics, with scientific support and methodology from Brazil, by retraining the muscles of the face.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:40 am      Reply with quote
Interesting find, makes me wonder how this would apply to facial exercises? Could we be making things worse. Good tips at the end though.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:43 am      Reply with quote
I watched about half of the video but stopped when Dr. Mercola said they weren't going to show any exercises.

TheresaMary, what was the tip they gave at the end?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Sorry wasn't referring to video but the text underneath and they have suggestions that are helpful.
CookieD wrote:
I watched about half of the video but stopped when Dr. Mercola said they weren't going to show any exercises.

TheresaMary, what was the tip they gave at the end?
Sunrise
5% products discount

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much, dickeymoe for posting about this. I'd never heard of it, I haven't even watched the video yet, I just read all the info and the comments in the article and I know I need to do this for bite, neck, night teeth grinding issues. My tongue is definitely normally forward, and so is my head posture (when not doing lots of bodywork), so I'm in contact with someone for doing an evaluation session next week, and then I'm planning to go ahead and do the year long therapy.

I'd looked into orthodontics, and they're crazy expensive but more importantly I was told the teeth might still move afterward, but reading about this makes sense on WHY they would do that.

Reading a bit further, the plus side of this is that it will lift facial muscles as well.

Here's a quote I found from this online pdf:

"Cosmetic Muscle Toning
With age, orofacial posture changes. There are about 40 facial muscles that work in group function. This allows for facial expression. If the patient presents with chronic non- nutritive facial muscle habit patterns, inadequate orofacial postural patterns, orofacial muscle function patterns or orofacial muscle integration patterns, then the overall cosmetic appearance will be compromised in spite of cosmetic surgery or orthodontics.
Plastic surgery patients are tired of having their face cut, burned, injected, creamed and acid etched only to have gravity pull the muscles down again. The more effective way to achieve desired results would be to develop tone and fitness in the facial muscles by changing muscle patterns, habits and postures by a trained orofa- cial myofunctional therapist and work with the surgeon and orthodontist both before and after surgery.
A personal trainer will tell you that you have to stretch, lift weights and do cardio three to four times a week in order to be fit. Why not exercise your face as well? I feel that this type of treatment will be the way of the future for orofacial myofunctional therapists.
In Brazil, plastic surgeons would not think of doing surgery without having a trained orofacial myofunc- tional therapist to work with them. The field of cosmetic orthodontics is growing. It is only natural that cosmetic orofacial myofunctional therapy will follow."
(link here: http://www.dentistry4kids.com.au/images/JAOSSpring09Moeller.pdf )

I'm a face exerciser and I'm wondering if this might be why some people (like me!) have a harder time improving certain problem areas such as (in my case) pouches and jowls and others are able to get better and quicker results.

At any rate I think it's quite possible that as a nice side effect from the therapy I might find improvement in my own problem areas.

I'd recommend checking into it further for anyone that finds it even the least bit interesting.
Sunrise
5% products discount

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD, by the looks of it you really need to have the exercises tailor made to you under supervision, rather than doing generic exercises... thus I can understand they didn't want to show exercises because they may not help.
Marie-Andree
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:20 am      Reply with quote
The book "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook, Third Edition" has a section on the head face and jaw. It is very thorough, with case histories.
I got the book because my husband has restricted movement in one shoulder. It covers the whole body.
The book is also in ebook format, but I prefer something that I can underline and note.
I bought it on Amazon. Just make sure that you get the 3rd edition if you buy it. It's by Clair Davies and Amber Davies
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |