Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Paula Begoun: "You Don't Need An Eye Cream"
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Below is a video of Paula Begoun expressing her views on eye creams. She says they aren't necessary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm5vYuZG6dg

Interesting. What do you think?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Paula has self-proclaimed herself as an expert. She is a makeup artist with experience 'in the field; however with zero health-care background. Her knowledge is pretty common stuff if you are into skincare. Her opinion has the same value as anyone elses with a similar background - and to me that qualifies a lot of us on EDS.
That said - I agree you don't need the extreme eye cream hit. Lately I use sample sizes which I use sporadically and I have liked the oxygen in Karin Herzog eyecream but the K2 works under eyes as well for me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
I use the same cream around my eyes than on my face.

I had problems with many eye creams, very often eye creams made my eyes puffted and especialy the ones that were suppossed to make the skin around my eyes thighter.

At one time I got a face serum and bought the eye version latter because It was to expensive to buy bought at the same time. I was so desapointed when I started to use the eye's one, because It was not as efficent as the face serum version. There after I decide to use my face product around my eyes unless they containt some irritating ingredients such as hight % of AHA and BHA.

From my point of view unless you have some specific issues you want to address with you eye's contour there is no use for an eye cream.

The best way is trying your face cream and see if you are happy with the results on your face and eyes.
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
You don't need an eye cream

Correct.Only quality circulation in the area.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
I've never used an eye cream.
zoebig
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:28 am      Reply with quote
Maybe she is right, but I will stick with my eye cream Very Happy
natefan87
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:02 am      Reply with quote
Yikes. Don't confuse "you don't need an EYE CREAM" with "don't take care of the skin under/around your eyes"

Eye cream is a marketing ploy, is essentially what she's saying. Use the moisturizer you're using on your face under your eyes and save a few bucks by not buying a separate product. Would you use a "cheek cream" and a "forehead cream"? Probably not.
natefan87
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:09 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Paula has self-proclaimed herself as an expert. She is a makeup artist with experience 'in the field; however with zero health-care background. Her knowledge is pretty common stuff if you are into skincare. Her opinion has the same value as anyone elses with a similar background - and to me that qualifies a lot of us on EDS.

Not quite. She has a team of researchers with advanced degrees in chem/bio. Also, she consults with cosmetic chemists regularly when she formulates her products. I can't stand it when people whiddle her down to an anecdotal-informed quack just because they disagree with her.
Tiptoedancer
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
I've used an eye creme about 15 years ago and didn't see any difference. I figure it's another way to make money by convincing people to buy more products that aren't truly necessary.
Tiptoedancer
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
I noticed that there are neck creams on the market too. I'd bet she would say the same thing about neck creams.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
natefan87 wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

Not quite. She has a team of researchers with advanced degrees in chem/bio. Also, she consults with cosmetic chemists regularly when she formulates her products. I can't stand it when people whiddle her down to an anecdotal-informed quack just because they disagree with her.

How do you know this about her team? I don't doubt that she consulted with chemists to create her cosmetics line:

Quote:
Paula's Story: In Her Own Words

At the age of 11 I began a tormented struggle with acne and eczema. I tried numerous skin-care products and medical treatments yet my skin didn't get better.

Then at the age of 25 (and I'll never forget this moment), I read the ingredient label on a skin-care product I was using and the fourth ingredient was acetone. That's nail polish remover! From that moment on I began reading all of the research I could find on skin care and eventually I was able to put together a skin-care routine that completely transformed my skin.

After suffering for all of those years, I wanted to do everything possible to prevent others from going through the same pain. So I started writing books and doing TV appearances to tell the world which skin-care products really work. Every one of the 20 books I've written on cosmetics including the current edition of my book Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me fulfills my commitment to help women understand when product claims are lying or telling the truth.

In 1995, at the request of thousands of my readers, I decided to use my years of research on skin-care ingredients to create my own skin-care line, Paula's Choice. I use only proven ingredients that can truly make your skin look younger and radiant as well as reduce wrinkles, lessen or eliminate acne, and work perfectly for those with sensitive skin. All my products are 100% guaranteed

...but her team of researchers have been trained by her:

Quote:
The Research Team

Our research team is dedicated to helping you find the absolute best products for your skin, using research-based criteria to review beauty products and write beauty advice articles from an honest, balanced perspective.

Bryan Barron has been working with Paula for over 13 years. Together, he and Paula have written several editions of Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me, The Beauty Bible, and thousands of research-based product reviews for CosmeticsCop.com. Bryan's experience in the cosmetics industry includes many years as a salesperson, educator, and makeup artist. This real-world experience coupled with a passion for research and flair for writing creates a perfect combination for his role as Research and Content Director at Paula's Choice. Always at work behind the scenes (and, increasingly, on camera), Bryan and his team strive to bring you the most accurate information on skin care and makeup so you can look and feel great—and save money, too!

The Paula's Choice Research Team is led by Bryan Barron. Each team member was personally trained by Paula and Bryan, and uses research-based criteria plus their broad base of industry knowledge to help you find the best products for your skin. The Research Team reviews a wide range of beauty products from an honest, balanced perspective. All of us are passionate about great skin care and makeup; we get just as excited about new product launches as you do—and just as disappointed when products fail to work as claimed. With our information, you can be sure you'll save time and money—and get the skin you've always wanted!

Source: http://www.paulaschoice.com/who-we-are/about-paula/

So I don't think Sister Sweets is that far off in her assessment of Paula. I think we have some very knowledgeable people on the forum who may be on the same level as she if not above her. Any DIY person can write books and research ingredients and talk about them with authority.

I don't take everything Paula says as gospel. I once saw a review of how she says one thing one day and then says the opposite down the road, especially if she happens to launch the same product she deemed useless before...and "teachers" like that scare me. She also thinks face exercises are bad for the face and age you, and of course I disagree with her wholeheartedly and know with certainty that she's wrong about that. So yeah, it's hit of miss with her, I say.

That said, I don't use eye creams or any water-based products around my eyes--a regimen I had long before I ever knew who Paula Begoun was. I use Vaseline or nothing--a tip I learned from Eva Fraser whose eyes IMO are some of the most beautiful, 80+ year old eyes I've ever seen.
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Nonie. I do my own research of products (some of them I've researched extensively) and ingredients and what they do and I make my own choices. I like to hear what others have to say as they often have some very good points but I don't take stuff that someone like this says as gospel simply because they've said it.

Think about all the folks who've told us not to "pull or stretch" our facial skin as that will "ruin it" as well as all those folks who think that facial exercises will give us 'more wrinkles'. I recommend we do our own research and choose for ourselves what's best for us.

I was watching a YouTube video where a lady was showing a facial massage technique that made her look great and one commenter who was using the name John Basedow (like that "fitness guru" guy) was posting HUGE warnings about how this will "ruin your skin" and "don't do this as it will stretch your skin" and yada yada yada. Happens ALL the time.

I sometimes purchase an eye cream because it has ingredients I want to use on my "problem areas" but if I were to purchase an entire bottle of the cream for my whole face it would cost a couple of hundred dollars (and my 'problem area' happens to be under my eyes; the other portions of my face are fine). So yes, I do sometimes purchase and use an eye cream.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Veronica - you seem to really like Paula's Choice products and her philosophy. If you like them, keep using them and feel good about it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:44 am      Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings on Paula. I used to have very bad acne years ago and she helped me a lot to eliminate products that were bad for me (Clinique 3 step care among others). I also started using her BHA liquid which really helped.

On the other hand, some of her own products did not agree with me, such as her cleanser for normal/oily skin and her products with silicones.

Further, she knocked the Clarisonic, which worked wonders for me. That really turned me off.

I don't personally think all of her advice makes sense, and she isn't open minded enough. Her viewpoint on facial exercise seems off to me as well. I think it makes all the sense in the world that if you can improve the appearance of sagging body parts through exercise, the same should be true of facial parts, but she dismisses it out of hand. It seems silly to say it is merely a skin issue when faces sag.
natefan87
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
LauraLizzie wrote:
Veronica - you seem to really like Paula's Choice products and her philosophy. If you like them, keep using them and feel good about it.

Precisely. It's one thing to have experience with something and speak about that, it's another to use personality traits and skincare philosophy differences to keep yourself away from products that obviously have really great ingredients in them.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
In this interview she talks about how she reviews products. She and her staff monitor the new research reports that come out, not just what the manufacturer says about the new product but what the maker of the particular miracle ingredient says about that ingredient. When she doesn't understand something, she turns to her cosmetic chemists and to the researchers with whom she has developed relationships over the years or to dermatologists to help her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd_OTKDUGTI

I haven't seen her for years and she looks great. Facelift and botox and maybe a nose job? I recall her not being so attractive. In another youtube video she says that creams cannot do what surgery and botox can do so you should save the money you would have spent over the years and get surgery when you need it. I've always said that!

I like that she tells people which products at the drugstore are just as good as high end stuff but for less money. I'm going to check out the Boots cleanser she mentioned to read reviews at makeupalley. If it's as good as Cerave but cheaper, I'll buy it.
Angelina Ballerina
5% products discount

Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:08 am      Reply with quote
The main point that Paula makes is that quality face moisturiser is also suitable for the eye area. Not that your eye area doesn't need a moisturiser.

If you have normal or dry skin, the same moisturiser can be used for face and eye area. If you have oily or combination skin you might want to use a light, oil free moisturiser on your face and something a bit more moisturising around the eyes...but it doesn't have to be an "eye cream".

If the quality of the cream isn't good enough for around your eyes, then you shouldn't be putting that 5h!t on the rest of your face Smile
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:54 am      Reply with quote
I chuckle to myself whenever I see eye creams...wondering what makes people think the skin underneath their eyes is *physiologically* any different than the rest of their skin. If you need more moisture in that area, just add more of your regular moisturizer LOL.

If you have other problems in that area, those are usually resolved by makeup or other topicals, but certainly not one intended purely for moisture, or even anti-aging...'oh yes, this is good for around my eyes, but maybe I shouldn't use it on my cheeks, lol...'

BFG
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Well, my day moisturizer has astringents in it, Witch Hazel, cinnamon, ginger and stuff, and it really refines pores, but it feels weird under eyes or if I get it on my lips by accident, so in my case I fell actual need for zone specific products. Anyways, all the stuff I use (with success I might add) is poo poo'ed by Paula on her lists so I doubt I can get anywhere with her tips. Laughing
Is it weird to get a seperate body lotion and a hand cream then, following that "logic"?
She is right when it comes to products that contain nothing meaningful, empty moisturizers can be used from feet to eyeballs. Provided they are well formulated.
One that that grinds me is that eye creams are so expensive per ml compared to other stuff.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:16 am      Reply with quote
One that that grinds me is that eye creams are so expensive per ml compared to other stuff.

That's what I meant to add as well...unless you have a very specific issue you are trying to resolve in a specific area of your skin, there is no magic to most topicals - they would do for your eye area the same at they would for your ankle, for example.

BFG - ankle proud
bellabambiiina
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
I can envision wanting an eye cream that does different things than a face cream, such as lightening of dark circles, or addressing puffiness.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
If anyone knows of one that's been widely known to do those things (lighten, reduce puffiness) would be great to know the name of it...

thanks
bellabambiiina
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
Absolutely not saying I know of one for sure, but I would say that undereye skin isnt the same as the rest of the facial skin, in the fact that it does have somewhat different characteristics. It's also thinner and on me, seems dryer and more delicate.

That being said, I dont currently use an eye cream myself.

To me, the best remedy is sleep and diet to control those undereye issues. But it's somewhat possible that eye cream with ingredients such as cucumber, arnica, etc could help.

As usual, my opinion is that Paula is too cut and dry in her take on things.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
I do think the under eye area needs to be treated. I like sunscreen during the day and at night I use Avene Eulage cream. I use the face cream that has more active ingredients (retinaldhyde) than the eye version.

It does irk me that eye treatments are always small packages but a lot more $$ per ml.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:
I do think the under eye area needs to be treated. I like sunscreen during the day and at night I use Avene Eulage cream. I use the face cream that has more active ingredients (retinaldhyde) than the eye version.

It does irk me that eye treatments are always small packages but a lot more $$ per ml.

So true. Annoying to say the least.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:18 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |