Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Neck skin - why so sassy?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Izzy94

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ladies & (possibly) gents,
How does one get a smoother neck?

I have these horizontal lines that have grown significantly more noticeable over the years. These creases age my appearance, even though I've fastidiously worked to keep my facial skin mostly wrinkle-free (w/out a surgeon's help...not yet, at least =).
I suppose I've badly neglected my neck.

What have you done to minimize these lines?

Any sage words of advice?
Sad
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
We had a discussion about neck skin a couple weeks back that may provide helpful for you:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=49454

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:51 am      Reply with quote
Neck care does more trouble, I usually will always rise my head and often massage my neck with proper product.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:50 am      Reply with quote
Well I've been very lucky in having an excellent derm over the last 30 plus years, and he always used to tell me that whatever I was putting on my face, whether serums, creams, sun block to ensure I got all round my neck, top of my breasts and my hands and so I've always done that no matter what, and I have to say that I think my neck looks pretty darn good when I compare it to others my age. Its not perfect, but its pretty darn better than most. Another thing I read one time was that not sleeping on very high pillows was good and can't remember the explanation why, but we're always told that posture has a lot to do with it and I suppose it does, but why does it take so much work to work at getting good posture. Sometimes I remember but most times I forget.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:56 am      Reply with quote
What do you mean it does more trouble?
cali1979 wrote:
Neck care does more trouble, I usually will always rise my head and often massage my neck with proper product.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:34 am      Reply with quote
I do the same as TheresaMary. Whatever I apply on my face, I also make sure that the neck has the same care as I do on my face, including sunscreen. However, since neck is more "delicate", I dilute the cream/serum with a regular moisturizer... Another thing is I "exercise" my neck on a regular basis, i.e. "nodding" up/down or sideways your neck will do wonders to keep this neck in good shape... Good luck! Smile

TheresaMary wrote:
Well I've been very lucky in having an excellent derm over the last 30 plus years, and he always used to tell me that whatever I was putting on my face, whether serums, creams, sun block to ensure I got all round my neck, top of my breasts and my hands and so I've always done that no matter what, and I have to say that I think my neck looks pretty darn good when I compare it to others my age. Its not perfect, but its pretty darn better than most. Another thing I read one time was that not sleeping on very high pillows was good and can't remember the explanation why, but we're always told that posture has a lot to do with it and I suppose it does, but why does it take so much work to work at getting good posture. Sometimes I remember but most times I forget.
Izzy94

Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all!
I've used a wide variation of retinoid products over the years...guessing it would have been a bright idea to apply them to my neck with more regularity. Embarassed

Not sure if anyone here has seen the infomercials from Perricone addressing the "turkey neck" prob, but the product seems rather pricey. The jury is still out on whether it's worth the cost. Rolling Eyes

Thanks!!
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:

I've tried to do that as I've heard this same thing before but I have found that my neck skin is more sensitive than the skin on my face and some products cause a rash on my neck but do not on my face. Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Angela8654 Smile our neck is more "delicate" so I suggest you dilute with a regular moisturizer and not apply the same concentration as what you will use on the face... Good luck! Smile

AngelaE8654 wrote:

I've tried to do that as I've heard this same thing before but I have found that my neck skin is more sensitive than the skin on my face and some products cause a rash on my neck but do not on my face. Shock
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Izzy94 wrote:
Hi ladies & (possibly) gents,
How does one get a smoother neck?

I have these horizontal lines that have grown significantly more noticeable over the years. These creases age my appearance, even though I've fastidiously worked to keep my facial skin mostly wrinkle-free (w/out a surgeon's help...not yet, at least =).
I suppose I've badly neglected my neck.

What have you done to minimize these lines?

Any sage words of advice?
Sad

Carolyn's Facial Fitness has some great ways to keep neck skin younger. Mostly it is massage and some exercise of neck muscle.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:53 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:

High pillows keep you from wrinkling your neck up, I think. But be careful with high pillows because if you're not sleeping on your back but instead flop over on your side or stomach you could wind up with a crick in your muscles that's ultimately worse than the wrinkles. Laughing

Just wanted to chime in that doing exactly the same thing to my neck and décolletage as I do to my face, even since I was a teenager, has always stood me in good stead. It's gotten much more expensive as I've aged than it was when I was 16 and Vaseline was my main moisturizer, but my neck looks pretty good, too, and I think this is one reason why.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:27 am      Reply with quote
Jade, I would actually suggest you look at adding some massage or resistance as well as what you are doing. They will help with your head movement, but won’t actually impact the skin look much.
jade-1234 wrote:
I do the same as TheresaMary. Whatever I apply on my face, I also make sure that the neck has the same care as I do on my face, including sunscreen. However, since neck is more "delicate", I dilute the cream/serum with a regular moisturizer... Another thing is I "exercise" my neck on a regular basis, i.e. "nodding" up/down or sideways your neck will do wonders to keep this neck in good shape... Good luck! Smile

The idea I understand is that if your head is too high it puts out your alignment of the skull on top of the neck, so when you get up because your head has been in that position for a few hours your body adapts to walking round with the head forward which impacts the look of the neck and makes the skin and platsyma droopy. Also depending on how high your pillows are…. one video I watched one time for one of those memory pillows said that if your head was too high, your neck pointed downwards and over time this lead to the skin separating from the platysma moreso than the norm – which none of us want I’m sure!
Yubs wrote:
High pillows keep you from wrinkling your neck up, I think. But be careful with high pillows because if you're not sleeping on your back but instead flop over on your side or stomach you could wind up with a crick in your muscles that's ultimately worse than the wrinkles. Laughing

Just wanted to chime in that doing exactly the same thing to my neck and décolletage as I do to my face, even since I was a teenager, has always stood me in good stead. It's gotten much more expensive as I've aged than it was when I was 16 and Vaseline was my main moisturizer, but my neck looks pretty good, too, and I think this is one reason why.
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
jade-1234 wrote:
Hi Angela8654 Smile our neck is more "delicate" so I suggest you dilute with a regular moisturizer and not apply the same concentration as what you will use on the face... Good luck! Smile

Thank you. This is a great suggestion. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
I use a dermaroller on my neck and then apply vitamin c or copper peptides. It seems to have helped the skin look great. I also press the back of my tongue up against the roof of my mouth while I bend backwards.

To do this keep the neck long, pull the shoulders down so you feel like there is a lot air between your ears and the top of the shoulders. Feel as if you have a string pulling up on the very top of your head. While you are doing all that press the tongue against the roof of the mouth bend your head and face back. You don't have to go back very far but it's important not to make a crimp in the back of the neck while your doing this. When the back of the neck is crimped you wont be using any of the neck muscles and your just collapsing backwards.

It's something I learned in ballet years ago to keep the neck strong.
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Tiptoe, thanks! Is there maybe a youtube vid or a diagram you can link to for a demo? I'm interested but having a hard time visualizing/attempting.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:46 am      Reply with quote
I'm also struggling with the visual here tiptoe, do you have any pictures of someone doing this that you could share?
Tiptoedancer
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:35 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
I'm also struggling with the visual here tiptoe, do you have any pictures of someone doing this that you could share?

This is as close as I can find as a visual. Scroll down and there is a description of the pressing of the tongue.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/169212-exercises-for-a-slender-neck/

The thing that keeps the neck strong is not letting your head just flop back. You really are stretching your chest open while you do this. Think of your heart being exposed and opened up when you look up at the ceiling. It's good for the lungs too.

We used to have to do this in ballet. I had a Russian teacher with a upholstery needle tied on the end of a stick and she would poke us if we did things wrong so I got good at stuff real quick! (Scary lady but great teacher.)
Tiptoedancer
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Tiptoedancer wrote:
TheresaMary wrote:

This is as close as I can find as a visual. Scroll down and there is a description of the pressing of the tongue.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/169212-exercises-for-a-slender-neck/

The thing that keeps the neck strong is not letting your head just flop back. You really are stretching your chest open while you do this. Think of your heart being exposed and opened up when you look up at the ceiling. It's good for the lungs too.

We used to have to do this in ballet. I had a Russian teacher with a upholstery needle tied on the end of a stick and she would poke us if we did things wrong so I got good at stuff real quick! (Scary lady but great teacher.)

I wanted to add to my comment above, the girl in the photo in the link, who looks about, what.....18?! isn't really using her neck muscles much. She looks like she's just modeling the position and doing it to look pretty. Her shoulders are not even either, one shoulder is scrunched up a bit. It's just the best I could find. Yoga has a similar position but most of the examples collapse the the neck and cause a crimp.

It's more of a lifting out and away from the shoulders towards the back and you don't have to go very far to feel the muscles working. I do the tongue press while sitting at a red light in my car.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
Tiptoedancer, I love the idea of elongating the back of the neck when you do this exercise. It's an idea used in Callanetics and Callan used to do Classic Ballet so it all now makes sense. Tom Hagerty demonstrates the exercise in the video below although he doesn't add the elegant posture of a ballerina that you mention in his description, but you get the idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXPbdmGMf2k
Tiptoedancer
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Nonie. That's perfect! This may sound crazy but I have some 2 lb ankle weights that have sand or something heavy like that in it and I put one on my head while I do the exercise for a tiny bit extra work. One of the thing I notice with older people is that their necks look weak and the sternum seems to collapse into their chest. To me it's not that they are slumped over from the back, though that happens too, but I kinda think the front chest area needs strengthening so it opens up. My crazy ballet teacher, the one with the upholstery needle on the stick(!!ouch!!) used to tell us to open up our upper chest as if we were wearing the Hope Diamond and wanted to show it to the world. It's really good for the lungs too.

I've always noticed that Jane Fonda has fantastic, amazing posture and her neck, head and shoulders are still in alignment with her hips, just like it was when she was younger. That's one of the reason she looks so good for her age. Well.... emmm.... that and loads of plastic surgery.
Alexya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
The tongue exercise sounds like something from Deb Crowley's "Flex Effect". Another of the FE exercises has you lie on a bed (or bench) and hang your head off the edge, then raise it up, for neck strengthening. Once you can do these, you then can add weight to your head. FE is an excellent program and has some wonderful exercises for the neck.
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Alexya wrote:
The tongue exercise sounds like something from Deb Crowley's "Flex Effect". Another of the FE exercises has you lie on a bed (or bench) and hang your head off the edge, then raise it up, for neck strengthening. Once you can do these, you then can add weight to your head. FE is an excellent program and has some wonderful exercises for the neck.

That's what *I* was thinking when I saw it. I think that's the same sort of exercise they're talking about; same one as what's in "Flex Effect".

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Oleda Baker has never had a facelift. I had tried facial exercises years ago but they deepened my lines and gave me new ones. Oleda sells a pamphlet of her exercises that do NOT do that so for $5 I thought it would be worth a look. I have only done one for the neck: stick your tongue out and down, then stick it out but curl it up. Repeat 10 times. Here is a video interview of her at age 75. I think she is 78 or 79 now. She still weighs 120, her modeling weight. I bought the book she is promoting here and highly recommend it. https://growingbolder.com/media/gb-exclusives/webchats/gb-webchat-oleda-baker-592544.html
Tiptoedancer
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
Oleda Baker has never had a facelift. I had tried facial exercises years ago but they deepened my lines and gave me new ones. Oleda sells a pamphlet of her exercises that do NOT do that so for $5 I thought it would be worth a look. I have only done one for the neck: stick your tongue out and down, then stick it out but curl it up. Repeat 10 times. Here is a video interview of her at age 75. I think she is 78 or 79 now. She still weighs 120, her modeling weight. I bought the book she is promoting here and highly recommend it. https://growingbolder.com/media/gb-exclusives/webchats/gb-webchat-oleda-baker-592544.html

I looked at a couple of youtube videos of her and yes, she looks great! Again, she stands up straight, has great posture and it makes all the difference in how young she is perceived. It has kept her from getting a double chin. Her neck is strong because of her correct posture. Of course her skin is wonderful too.

The more forward the head is projected the less the neck, back and chest muscles are working and the more force and weight there is pulling on the spine.

http://erikdalton.com/images/Fig142lbHead_W.jpg

This kinda illustrates that delicate balance.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
Izzy94 wrote:
Thank you all!
I've used a wide variation of retinoid products over the years...guessing it would have been a bright idea to apply them to my neck with more regularity. Embarassed

Not sure if anyone here has seen the infomercials from Perricone addressing the "turkey neck" prob, but the product seems rather pricey. The jury is still out on whether it's worth the cost. Rolling Eyes

Thanks!!

I doubt his product would work more than a few hours.
I know I've always used lotions and sunscreens on my neck as I burn easily when I don't.

My issue is more how to get rid of a chubby neck/face.
But most likely there is no cream that is permanent as I was born with a chubby face-I've always had chubby cheeks and a not skinny neck.

But what does work for a few hours is if you try those slimming gels like from Biotherm or Clarins- I've tried those just before pictures and it did help a bit
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |