Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

new hobby
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:26 am      Reply with quote
For my birthday, my DH sent me a huge parcel!

It's a candle making kit, I havnt made candles since I was a kid and even then they were the modelling wax kind, not the serious melting double
boiler kind!

So of course I had to get to work!!!

Now I have three fragranced container candles , boy do they use a LOT of wax. No wonder those Yankee ones are soo £££.
I did try some votive ones but they looked like deformed, aliens, so they got remelted and reformed into another container candle!

YAy, I am loving this.

Anyone else tried doing this, and do you have any good tips!

From the newbie candle virgin

Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:53 am      Reply with quote
What fun! and what a thoughtful DH you have! Ive never made candles but I have them burning in my home at night for ambience and really appreciate them.

Esp at the holidays, red and green ones scented with evergreen, orange and spice are pleasant. Can you post some pics of your creations?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:01 am      Reply with quote
yes isnt he?
I will take some pics, but at the moment they are very amateurish Embarassed Bad Grin but at least they smell very good Laughing

I love smelly candles and put them on whenever I can, they really make a room come alive.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Sylvia, have I got a company for you - if you're looking for someplace to buy pretty glass containers.

http://www.couronneco.com/xedni.php?p=listproduct&SubCategoryID=16&Page=1

They sell glass bottles, jars, candleholders and what not, at very nice prices. You have to join to see the prices but it's free.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:28 am      Reply with quote
wow sounds great thank you! I figure the amount I am saving Not buying Yankee or Colony candles, I could spend a bit on some pretty containers/jars. Am off to " just look" Ha Ha Laughing Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:47 am      Reply with quote
Good for you Sylvia - Enjoy it! Let us know if you come up with some great new fragrances or post a design!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Have fun, Sylvia! Are you using any of that raw beeswax that smells good enough on its own that you almost don't need to add anything to it?
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Well in the kit there are a few sheets of real beeswax its really soft and does smell lovely!

I think I could just roll them with the wick inside and have an ethnic artisan look!!!

Oh I went on the website Immacolata gave and registered with them I have to wait a day to be authenticated ( I think is the word) but they have some lovely glassware all recycled soo nice!

I am enjoying this, in my book I got is instructions for "Water" candles, they are beautiful and quite ethereal looking. Cant wait to try them! Ha Ha they are pretty advanced though Bad Grin

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:
Well in the kit there are a few sheets of real beeswax its really soft and does smell lovely!

I think I could just roll them with the wick inside and have an ethnic artisan look!!!

Oh I went on the website Immacolata gave and registered with them I have to wait a day to be authenticated ( I think is the word) but they have some lovely glassware all recycled soo nice!

I am enjoying this, in my book I got is instructions for "Water" candles, they are beautiful and quite ethereal looking. Cant wait to try them! Ha Ha they are pretty advanced though Bad Grin

My fave ^^. (bee's wax candles)
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a video showing candle making using beeswax sheets. No danger of burns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lrTy8i--3s
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
I want to make some soy container candles for Christmas. I say that every year for the past 3 years but something else always comes up. Maybe this will be the year!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Forgot to add: Happy Birthday Sylvia!!

Christmas to me means Crabtree&Evelyn's Noël scent:

"A Festive Fragrance Of 25 Botanicals

The Noël Collection fragrance is a festive medley of evergreens, bayberry, zesty orange and warm notes of cinnamon and star anise. Crafted from 25 key fragrance notes and accords from around the world, Noel home fragrance has been iconic for 25 years, evoking the scent and spirit of Christmas.

Fragrance Notes

Fragrance notes are:
1. Allspice
2. Clove
3. Nutmeg
4. Apple slices
5. Orange slices and peel
6. Cranberry
7. Juniper
8. (Norway) spruce
9. Siberian Fir
10. Pine needles
11. Cinnamon sticks
12. Cedarwood
13. Golden amber
14. Vanilla bean
15. Sandalwood
16. Hollyberry
17. Frankincense
18. Myrrh
19. Vetiver
20. Patchouli
21. Star anise
22. Rosewood
23. Bayberry
24. Ginger
25. Persimmon"
http://www.crabtree-evelyn.com/press-releases/press-releases,default,pg.html?aid=press_release_10_09_2011_02

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Forgot to add: Happy Birthday Sylvia!!

Christmas to me means Crabtree&Evelyn's Noël scent:

"A Festive Fragrance Of 25 Botanicals

The Noël Collection fragrance is a festive medley of evergreens, bayberry, zesty orange and warm notes of cinnamon and star anise. Crafted from 25 key fragrance notes and accords from around the world, Noel home fragrance has been iconic for 25 years, evoking the scent and spirit of Christmas.

Fragrance Notes

Fragrance notes are:
1. Allspice
2. Clove
3. Nutmeg
4. Apple slices
5. Orange slices and peel
6. Cranberry
7. Juniper
8. (Norway) spruce
9. Siberian Fir
10. Pine needles
11. Cinnamon sticks
12. Cedarwood
13. Golden amber
14. Vanilla bean
15. Sandalwood
16. Hollyberry
17. Frankincense
18. Myrrh
19. Vetiver
20. Patchouli
21. Star anise
22. Rosewood
23. Bayberry
24. Ginger
25. Persimmon"
http://www.crabtree-evelyn.com/press-releases/press-releases,default,pg.html?aid=press_release_10_09_2011_02

That is a lot of fragrance variety in one candle. I'll have to find one and have a sniff!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Forgot to add: Happy Birthday Sylvia!!....

DOH! That’s right…HAPPY BURTHDAY, Sylvia.

New hobby, new age, thoughtful hubby, you got it covered!!

Life’s treating you well.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Sweet orange EO + frankincense

Amber + musk + sweet orange (smells like MoroccanOil shampoo)

Lavender + bergamot + lemon

Lots of good smelling and uplifting blends!

AnandaApothecary has ideas on their blog if you need any too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:55 am      Reply with quote
thank you all for that! I now have another site to spend £ on smells Yay!

I got the minxs making beeswax rolled candles today, they Loved it, and the smell is just wonderful.

I also took my first pillar and sphere candle out of their moulds, I was soo proud it was like my babies (Oh dear!)

So I got them to decorate with candle paint tubes, what a glorious mess Rolling Eyes

Tomorrow I am going to attempt "Ice candles"
and then that water one, soo excited.

I think the kit has already paid for itself, cant get over how much fun this is, good, lovely , aromatic smells mixed, with deep rich colours, and candles, just Heaven.

I love being creative/ arty always have but didnt realise how much "Life" had got in the way of it, or just how much Ive missed it. The other great thing is if I make a mess I can just remelt it and start again.
I now am going to have a bigger problem--- can u guess?

Too many candles -- not enough space!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Bad Grin Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:04 am      Reply with quote
Softskin, thanks for the clip, it was good to watch.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Sylvia I love that you call your little girls "minxes". So adorable!

You can always give them as gifts *hint*hint* you know. The candles, not the minxes!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hey good idea! I need to "refine the process" sound like the "mad scientist!"

They look a bit amateurish tho, smell good tho
Rolling Eyes Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Do you make them in pretty pots? Seems that would be easy to do for gifts eh?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
yes, I am finding the container ones are quite lovely and not too hard! I like them in glass ones best I think as you can see the wax thro.
I am just beginning to learn that you can put things into the wax, that adds interest too.

Theres some lovely pics in the book of ones with shells,set in them, or chunks of wax in the candle (I made one of those in a glass jar and it looks like a jar of sweeties!!!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 - I hope you had a wonderful birthday! And it certainly sounds like your DH knew exactly what you would enjoy. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
OH boy did I? far far too much vino, some friends in and DH cooking!! Was a truly great day Very Happy

And I am now candle obsessed Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
Oh mah gah! He *COOKS* too??? What a wonderful life Sylvia!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
He is just a man "good in parts". Embarassed Or maybe a hologram!

Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |