Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Face pilates- can someone pls explain the science?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
VirginiaWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bcvu2XCKao

I stumbled upon this, tried it out of curiosity and it did give me a nice burn.
My question is, how does this work?
How does activating the muscle with fingers aas opposed to the muscle itself and then stretching it with fingers build or do anything?
It's not as if stretching my bicep with my finger will make it grow. Any feedback would be great.
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
It looks like that during a portion of the exercise at least, you are using your fingers for resistance while contracting the muscle. This is common across most of the Facial Exercise programs. Part of the time it looks like they are simply pushing the muscle with the finger and I'm not sure this will work but I do think the resistance part is beneficial.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:02 am      Reply with quote
You know in looking at it, I'm wondering whether this isn't to build muscle but to simply tone it instead. I guess you kind of force blood into the muscle doing it, but its not going to make it grow per se?
VirginiaWhite wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bcvu2XCKao

I stumbled upon this, tried it out of curiosity and it did give me a nice burn.
My question is, how does this work?
How does activating the muscle with fingers aas opposed to the muscle itself and then stretching it with fingers build or do anything?
It's not as if stretching my bicep with my finger will make it grow. Any feedback would be great.
VirginiaWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:55 am      Reply with quote
You must be right, I have no idea! Just know I felt this really did impact my cheek muscles when I tried it. My issue is my mouth muscles are overly strong compared to my cheeks and often when I think I am working my cheeks my mouth muscles are working so I get monkey mouth very quickly without even working out my mouth area.

I was looking for exercises that will completely isolate the cheek area. These ones may help me to do that.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:41 am      Reply with quote
I honestly don't see how this program can tone the face; and just because you feel a burn, doesn't mean what you are doing is actually toning a muscle. I am sure increased blood flow could cause a warm feeling that could be called a burn, whether it be from rough rubbing on skin, pinching, smacking it, or holding it close to something hot...but that doesn't mean the muscle will shorten and firm up in a way that lifts and improves tone of the face.

The first exercises where you lift in a direction that shortens the muscles don't look like they would hurt you to do, even though I am unsure how effective they would be at improving tone. However, the exercises where she pulls the relaxed muscle from either end look like a very bad idea to me and like it would just be like gravity pulling on your face from above and below leading to slackened muscles. The exercise is very different from resistance training that builds muscles because in resistance training you resist the pull by contracting muscles against it thus prevent them from being elongated as happens when muscles aren't used but left at the mercy of gravity.

But even if the above mentioned didn't cross my mind, the trainer's face does not give me any impression that she has good tone in her face. I don't know how old she is, but her face looks soft and not firm as I would expect to see in a toned face. Add to that the absence of evidence of what the program can achieve (before and after examples) makes it even harder for me to believe it can do what it promises.

The other day, someone told me about Patricia Goroway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-d8iJf3HI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Now her face IMO looks firmer than that of the lady in the OP and while I have not seen any before/after photos from her program, nor do I know her age, if I wasn't happy with the programs I do or if I were looking for another program, then I might consider hers just from seeing her face and the tone it has.

I suppose one could say that Paola Chavez in the vid in the OP has no lines when she speaks and has beautifully up-turned corners of her mouth, but many people's lines when thet aren't old usually only show up when they smile or make expressions...not so much when they just speak; and the up-turned corners could just be genetic or she may just be so young that the beginnings of marionette lines are not yet knocking. Her tear troughs though do make her look tired too, so I don't see in her that refreshed/well-rested look most face exercises seem to give the people who do them.

Anyway, according to the Face Pilates website, she has been unwell, so to be fair, I don't know what her health was like when she made the video so she could have been under the weather which would explain her tired look. And that is another reason why more examples of the program's results would have helped to give another perspective.

Bottom line, logic tells me that no toning or firming up of face muscles will come from this pilates program.
VirginiaWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
OK thanks for your opinion.

I'm not looking to replace my program just to supplement it with exercises to help my NLs. I'm not sure Patricia Goroway's system is for me, especially as resistance seems to be key to improve muscle tone but I'll look at her videos and see if she has any cheek exercises that really isolate that area, lifting it and don't involve any risk of mouth use.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, after watching the youtube posted. For me it is more to do with the accupresure points in the face, cheeck area, and there are some programmes based on it for the cheeck area... I haven't the time right now but there are some good accupressure programmes for face issues out there.
I've checked out the other videos on youtube of the original OP reference and I find them quite interesting as they seem to adapt the ex. to the area exercised, like lifting the eyebrow or flattening the crows feet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiM2WatD5Xw
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
VirginiaWhite wrote:
OK thanks for your opinion.

I'm not looking to replace my program just to supplement it with exercises to help my NLs. I'm not sure Patricia Goroway's system is for me, especially as resistance seems to be key but I'll look at her videos and see if she has any cheek exercises that really isolate that area and don't involve any risk of mouth use.

VirginiaWhite I don't think people should replace a program they are happy with so I'm glad you aren't looking to do that if you're content with what you do. But I also do understand looking for supplemental exercises. However I do strongly feel--although many disagree with me--that if you supplement a program you do, you are better off doing another complete program and not just portions of it. My belief is ever program founder devises his/her program with the aim of all the exercises complementing each other by targeting all related muscles to effect an overall nice lift/build. If you only pick and choose, especially if you do it without at least the direction of the one who designed the program, you may be either overwork one area (if you are already doing another program that already works that area) and thus lead to overbuild; or you may skip a certain muscle that is important in tying in all the muscles together and end up with less than favorable results.

For instance, when people talk of working the eyelid muscles, the orbicularis oculi is usually the main focus and what everyone thinks of. But there are other muscles that contribute to the overall results of toned/youthful-looking eyelids. These include the levator palpebrae, corrugator superciliaris, the depressor superciliaris, the corrugator superciliaris, the frontalis and procerus all of which play a role in how toned and lifted your eyelids end up looking.

ImageImage

So if you pick and choose from different programs, or you mix and match bits and pieces from different programs instead of doing each program in its entirety, you may end up working only one section of the eye, say, (eg the orbicularis oculi) and miss out the other related muscles that help to tie everything in together.

So my recommendation would be that whatever programs you decide to do, however many, do each program in full, not just parts of it--unless of course, you consult with the program founder and make sure it's safe to do just the few exercises you are considering. Also, by posting Patricia's workout, I wasn't suggesting it as an alternative for you. But rather, I was just using her as an example to point out clues I would look for in deciding whether a program was worth giving a shot or was likely to give me the results it promises. The link I posted to Patricia's workout is longer than the video I initially found, also on Youtube, which was only 14 minutes long; so I suspect the link I posted may be the newer program with "additional exercises" that she mentioned in an interview (also found on Youtube if you use her name as a search word). The way her face looks at the end of the video I posted is a lot more toned than the face she has at the beginning of the video which makes me think her face at the end may be more recent and probably a testament to what her program is capable of.

Anyway, I hope you do find what you are looking for. According to those who do Ageless If You Dare, it seems to be a good program for building the cheeks so maybe you could contact the founder Loulou (EDS Username "otherloulou" if you want to PM her) and ask her about doing just cheek-specific exercises and see what she recommends. She does post in the thread dedicated to her program also so you could also pose your question in that thread to get your answer from her and perhaps get more feedback from those who do the program.

Ooh, ATester that's a very good point: I hadn't considered acupressure(!)...so that may be a positive benefit of the workout in the OP, ie, if the correct pressure points/zones are indeed being stimulated.
VirginiaWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Nonie thanks for your long reply, I understand your concerns. Thanks for advising looking into ageless.

I still think there is something to this facial pilates and even though Paola's face is not super toned like Patricia, she has very nice cheeks and an upward turned mouth and apart from puffy eyes which could be lack of sleep or poor diet, I find her face to be very youthful.

A-tester thanks for posting the eye vid, the difference between Paola's two eyes after she exercises one eye is visible and I'm sure that if one regularly did such exercises one could see some immediate benefits. I don't have time to buy and try Paola's program but I am going to add the cheek exercises as a complement to what I already do and see what results I get. As with anything, if I don't like them I'll stop doing the exercises!
VirginiaWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
A tester this one looks great too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWyA0KwR6ZA

I really think she has a good program here. It is not toning muscles per se perhaps but there is no doubt that there is a very pleasant temporary effect but just like facial exercises, anything done regularly can be beneficial.
VirginiaWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
I just tried the eye program available on youtube- thanks A tester- and there is no doubt it is very effective, my eyes immediately looked more open. I think this facial pilates is definitely to look into!
I am going to continue doing the eye and cheek exercises for a while and if results continue to be this good, I am thinking of buying the whole program. Exclamation
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |