Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

looking for a foundation for mature skin that is not .......
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
zizi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:01 am      Reply with quote
a full coverage, as that looks too mask like sometimes on me (ie kat von do foundation)..I have been wearing the EL double wear but that too sometimes is very mask like, and doesnt let the skin show through. However dont get me wrong, I do need coverage as I have lots of pigmentation marks...anything anyone can recommend that fits the bill? thanks
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Makeup artist Sandy Linter recommends Lancome Absolue Makeup for mature skin. Actually you could probably use L'Oreal True Match foundation, which has gotten good reviews and is cheaper.

For any pigmentation that isn't covered, use Graftobian HiDef Corrector palette. I love that palette! Sometimes I don't even use foundation but dot and blend with a small brush.

Here is Sandy applying foundation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiVIU4rrKX4
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
You want my honest opinion?

Mature skin needs LESS foundation, not more. Pigmentation is a skincare issue not a makeup one.
Use a vitamin C serum in the daytime, along with a sunscreen and a moisturizer if needed.
At night use a good retinol serum for lightening and stimulating collagen production.

In time your skin will look so good that you will not need or even want to wear foundation. I just use a little mineral makeup powder over my sunscreen and let my natural skin glow. It looks so much better than when I was trying to cover everything up. Looks younger too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
You want my honest opinion?

Mature skin needs LESS foundation, not more. Pigmentation is a skincare issue not a makeup one.
Use a vitamin C serum in the daytime, along with a sunscreen and a moisturizer if needed.
At night use a good retinol serum for lightening and stimulating collagen production.

In time your skin will look so good that you will not need or even want to wear foundation. I just use a little mineral makeup powder over my sunscreen and let my natural skin glow. It looks so much better than when I was trying to cover everything up. Looks younger too.

Fawnie,

What vitamin C serum are you using?
Angelina Ballerina
5% products discount

Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
I've been on this quest recently too.

Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation is my pick. It's light but with decent coverage and doesn't settle into lines or go cakey.

http://www.priceline.com.au/cosmetics/face/foundation/healthy-mix-foundation-30.0-ml
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:

Fawnie,

What vitamin C serum are you using?

I use this one:
http://myfawnie.bigcartel.com/product/stable-double-c-serum-with-royal-jelly

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
I get blackheads from most Vit C serums. Yours looks good. Do you think I'd have a problem? I'd avoid using it in oily areas.

Also, I use copper peptides in the morning. Could I use this over CPs? I use lactic acid and salycylic acids at night. Should I use the Vit C before or after that instead?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Some of Dr Pickart's Skin-Biology CP clients on his website report that they have great results using CPs at the same time as vitamin C, and he told them, "If it works for you, go with it". I would say that you should patch test anything together before using it, of course.

Vitamin C serums are typically used in the daytime to benefit from their UV protection but you could use mine day and/or night if you choose to in order to maximize the skin lightening effects.

The pH of Stable Double C is 5, so you may want to use any more acidic products first then wait 20 min or so for your skin to normalize to its ambient pH before applying it.

I wouldnt "avoid using it in oily areas" since they can benefit from collagen production and pigmentation evening too! It hasnt caused blackheads for me. Chia seed oil contains omegas, zinc and B vitamins and is helpful in normalizing sebum production.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
Giorgio Armani Face Fabric Second Skin is wonderful for mature skin, provides sheer coverage and makes skin look smooth.

http://www.giorgioarmanibeauty-usa.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-armani_us-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=A247&bookmark=74002

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=104379/Face-Fabric-Second-Skin-Nude-Makeup/Giorgio-Armani/Foundations

If you do not like the feel of silicones, try Oxygenetix foundation. It provides invisible natural coverage, and lets the skin breathe.
http://oxygenetix.com/products.html

IMO, Vitamin C serums will not replace a good foundation. Even the most effective ones (with L-ascorbic acid).
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
Q: What is foundation for?
A: To make skin have the appearance of perfection.

Why not *have* perfect skin in the first place?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:

With all due respect, I hope you do not imply that the Vitamin C serum that you are selling will make the skin perfect. Because it will not. It has nice consistency, smells wonderful, very gentle on the skin, but it does not have the power to "make skin have the appearance of perfection." It is not effective enough.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
I like and use Zuii liquid foundation for the past year (which is very unusual for me since I always try to find something better....).

HTH

5% products discount

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Vitamin C serum is a great ingredient (I use Dr Dennis Gross Hydrapure Vitamin C serum which uses 3 forms of vitamin c) it's also highly recommended by Paula Begoin.

Thing is, vit c is just one among many wonderful ingredients. There is no single *miracle* potion or ingredient that will give you "perfect" skin. Rather, incorporating a moderate amount of several great ingredients (for example retinol, glycolic acid, antioxidants etc) is a better approach to improve your skin.

Keep your expectations realistic, I'm 38 and accept that I won't have the skin I had at 25 no matter what potion or cream I use but with trial and error I've developed a skin care routine that has transformed my skin into smooth, bright healthy and finally pimple free (with the exception of the odd one or two from seasonal changes) it takes time but stick with a routine that your skin likes and you'll be able to improve your skin and address your concerns.

Being a self confessed skin care junkie it took awhile for me to realize that "less is more".. find a few products that your skin responds to and stick with it. Most importantly is to use sunscreen daily. Sun exposure will quickly undo any improvement so make sure your last step each morning includes an SPF lotion of at least 30.
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
I also like Giorgio Armani. But lately the chanel vitalumiere aqua sits nicely on my skin. Its sheer, light and great for mature skin types.
HTHs
zoebig
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
Double wear is relatively for oily skin or summer time with decent coverage. I would recommend go to mall and try all different brand and products.
Something with similar coverage and texture but for mature skin would be Cle de Peau Beaute liquid foundation.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:46 am      Reply with quote
I agree with fawnie. Less is more. Make your skin great, and use a good concealer and a nice finishing powder and contour blush.

I use meteorites a lot as a finishing powder, its very softening.

I think a whole face of foundation is de trop. Only cover up what you need to cover up, and try to get rid of what needs to be covered, so it isnt there any more!
zizi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:51 am      Reply with quote
thanks all..Im definately a believer in less is more as you get older. And if I had the guts to just to concealer I would, but alas skin needs a little more. I have always used good skincare ie retin a vit c growth factors etc so I dont think my skin will improve any more, unless I get resurfacing procedures or something....Im goingto try the chanel vitulamier and the giorgi armani one - been meaning to try these two for ages anyway as they always come up in the polls for top foundations!!I shall see what happens! I think it must be hard to find a HG foundation, I know my sisters and I are always looking even after we are happy with one for the minute.. Very Happy
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:53 am      Reply with quote
I sympathise zizzi. I have lots of bottles of expensive foundations that seemed great in the shop .. and then not quite so great in real life!

Wink

Good luck in finding a nice winter look that you are comfortable with.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:14 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
fawnie wrote:

With all due respect, I hope you do not imply that the Vitamin C serum that you are selling will make the skin perfect. Because it will not. It has nice consistency, smells wonderful, very gentle on the skin, but it does not have the power to "make skin have the appearance of perfection." It is not effective enough.

You have not used Stable Double C Serum, isnt that correct? Im puzzled as to what you mean by "smells wonderful" since it has no fragrance.

If you will read my post I recommend using retinol at night which also helps to resurface skin and to jumpstart collagen production. Im sure you realize that no one product is the answer and that its a combination of many things.

Its the difference between looking natural by using consistent effort with the right products and the quick fix of slapping on coverups which, no matter how expensive, do not look natural. Different philosophy altogether.

Ask any man if he prefers the made-up look or the natural, and if he can tell the difference and he will most always say, "natural". Who wants to wake up next to someone without makeup on that covers up a load of problems? Why not look good in the first place, whatever skin products you choose to use. I have had good success with mine, and many others have too. Just sayin. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:54 am      Reply with quote
You have not used Stable Double C Serum, isnt that correct? Im puzzled as to what you mean by "smells wonderful" since it has no fragrance.

I have used your Serum. Is it not stable? And fragrance-free does not mean it is scent-free.

I have used tons of Vitamin C serums. I also used to make my own every day to keep it fresh. And none of them were able to give me what a nice natural-looking foundation was able to provide - a flawless canvass. If foundation can make one's good skin look even better, why the heck not!
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
If foundation can make one's good skin look even better, why the heck not!

RS,I think the point is that it is debatable as to wether skin does look 'better' in foundation, or just looks 'made up'.

As with any and all things, personal tastes and interpretations vary!

An older person with a full face of make up may find it settling into lines and wrinkles and generally not look very 'fresh' in full make up.

Or they may look great. It's a matter of preference and personal style, surely.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
My mature, rapidly becoming ancient skin, likes Pur Minerals foundation. Easy, quick to apply, and looks reasonably natural, although I realise the whole point of foundation is to not look "natural" Smile
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

I have used your Serum. Is it not stable? And fragrance-free does not mean it is scent-free.

Ok, let me rephrase: You havent used my Double C Serum (yes its stable). Its been reformulated and has no fragrance or "scent" - nothing that one who has used it would say is "lovely". It has two forms of vitamin C and many many other active ingredients. Its much more than just a DIY C serum. Please do not diss what you have not used.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:52 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:

Ok, let me rephrase: You havent used my Double C Serum (yes its stable). Its been reformulated and has no fragrance or "scent" - nothing that one who has used it would say is "lovely". It has two forms of vitamin C and many many other active ingredients. Its much more than just a DIY C serum. Please do not diss what you have not used.

I have tried your KNN serum, Vitamin C serum and Geisha serum. How many more do I have to try in order to form my opinion of your products?

IMO, they are far from being "so good that you will not need or even want to wear foundation".

It is frustrating to see how you attack others when they do not agree with what you believe.
chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:46 am      Reply with quote
I realy like the Paula's Choice sheer fondation. It doesn't cake and has a 30 spf. Not very covering but it is enough for me.

Actually I got the Estee Lauder double wear mineral powder to wear over the sheer fondation. I tought I would only wear it for days where I want a little more coverage.

But like the look enough to decide to wear it every day. My huby is not into make-up at all ! And he said it looks very natural.

By the way the lady at the EL counter took à lot of time to help me pick. At first I wanted a liquid fondation but we found out that a nice primer and a powder were doing a good job on me.

Color and texture match is very important and trying is the key to find the right stuff.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |