Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Vitamin C Serums for under £50?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Felicity77
5% products discount

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:09 am      Reply with quote
Can anyone recommend a good vitamin c serum that is affordable - I looked at the Medik8 one which sounds great but that's 50 quid and I would rather not pay more than 20 pounds to be honest...

Thanks in advance!

x
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:30 am      Reply with quote
You'll probably have to get a homemade-style serum from e-bay or amazon. Or you could get a c powder that is meant to be mixed fresh into a cheap/basic moisturizer.

I'm suggesting these two ideas because I assume you don't consider DIY an option.
Felicity77
5% products discount

Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:23 am      Reply with quote
Chlorophyll wrote:
You'll probably have to get a homemade-style serum from e-bay or amazon. Or you could get a c powder that is meant to be mixed fresh into a cheap/basic moisturizer.

I'm suggesting these two ideas because I assume you don't consider DIY an option.

Hi Chlorophyll, thanks for answering. Yes I did try the DIY route a year ago but was not very successful Sad
I know some people have had great results with DIY serums.

Just seen online: Salvere 20% Vitamin C + E Ferulic Acid Serum with Hyaluronic Acid, which is reasonably priced

I haven't heard of Salvere before tho.

thanks again

x
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:27 am      Reply with quote
If you check out Silk Naturals, there is serums for under $20.00.

http://host.silknaturals.com/creb/serums-c-107_123.html

There is the option of trying sample sizes first on skin care. Reviews and discussion on Makeup Alley.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
I used to DIY Vitamin C Serum, but i don't have to since SkinActives came up with their version.

It is only $15.50 and it has everything you can wish for in Vit C Serum.

http://www.skinactives.com/Vitamin-C-Serum-Ascorbic-Acid-L.html?utm_source=Customer+List&utm_campaign=a5ef90fa41-June2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4075eaf4f9-a5ef90fa41-326234438

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:15 am      Reply with quote
YB wrote:
I used to DIY Vitamin C Serum, but i don't have to since SkinActives came up with their version.

It is only $15.50 and it has everything you can wish for in Vit C Serum.

http://www.skinactives.com/Vitamin-C-Serum-Ascorbic-Acid-L.html?utm_source=Customer+List&utm_campaign=a5ef90fa41-June2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4075eaf4f9-a5ef90fa41-326234438

The are two things I do not like about the skinactives C serum:

1. The way they load it up with citrus eessential oils and citrus powder which can be very irritating for some skins especially the powder.

2. And most importantly the fact that the Astaxanthin and Lycopene dye in a bright orange so that you cannot see adequately gauge when oxidation starts to occur.

That said I suppose you could just substitute for your own C-powder to get around the citrus issue. The oxidation issue however is still not so easily solved.
YB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:44 am      Reply with quote
ShiningStar77 wrote:

The are two things I do not like about the skinactives C serum:

1. The way they load it up with citrus eessential oils and citrus powder which can be very irritating for some skins especially the powder.

2. And most importantly the fact that the Astaxanthin and Lycopene dye in a bright orange so that you cannot see adequately gauge when oxidation starts to occur.

That said I suppose you could just substitute for your own C-powder to get around the citrus issue. The oxidation issue however is still not so easily solved.

I agree that it can be irritating for many people, but that’s why they give you the ability to control the percentage. You don’t have to dissolve all ascorbic acid included in the package.

In regards to oxidation, the liquid i get is almost transparent. I can see very clearly when exactly it starts oxidizing.

5% products discount

Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:41 am      Reply with quote
I've been using the paulas choice vitamin c serum, I like it. 15% vit C, ferulic acid and vitamin e.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Isnt color change with LAA a late finding? by then its already started to oxidize fully. Not that it really matters since the body can recycle oxidized LAA but why work that hard?

And doesnt the orange color make your skin look oompaloompa? Thats a BRIGHT orange color! I wouldnt use so much to make it turn my white skin orange! Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
Pure Skin Formulations. Right here on EDS!
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Devita and PSF (as mentioned by daisy), available at EDS. Devita is 17% and PSF 15%. I like both of these, and currently using Devita.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:58 am      Reply with quote
I have ultra fine C crystals from lotioncrafters to use up. DIY is always cheapest...

I had been putting them in a REN product and it is now gone. I'd like to use up the rest of my crystals and prefer to not do a 'make ahead' solution.
I like adding it on the spot (every morning) to something... Anyone have an idea here as to what I can mix with...?

My next purchased C product will be from Fawnie. I can only imagine the thought and care that went into making a superior product.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
I had a great experience with the Skin Actives Vitamin C serum. I used up one bottle, and have a second on re-order. When you look at the ingredients, it has all of the same ones as the MUCH more expensive brands, with some extras, like lycopene thrown in. (I guess that could be a problem if you have a reaction to the extras.) As I mentioned, I have only ordered it once in September; but the serum was very light in color, it was definitely not orange. At first, I added about 2/3's of the vial of ascorbic acid to see how my skin would react. About 1/2 was through the bottle, I added the rest of vial. One of the things that I'm working on right now is my hyperpigmentation, and although I still have a long way to go, I saw more improvement with the Skin Actives vitamin C serum, then I did with Nia24, and a myriad of retinol products. I'm currently working my way through an Olay product for hyperpigmentation (Three weeks in, with no results yet.) But I will go back to the vitamin C serum when my order arrives. And for 16 bucks!! Who knew?
jayree

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
I just received my Skin Actives Vitamin C serum, and guess what? It IS light orange! I guess I never noticed when you pump a little bit on your hand-it wasn't a problem. What I do remember as being a bit of an issue with it was that it did take a little while to dry-it stayed tacky for a few minutes. But, I really enjoyed the results that I got, so for me it's worth it.
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Check out Cosmetic Skin Solutions.
ShiningStar77
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
I really like the CSS serum, but the ordering from the US is really a pain. With delivery charges it just comes in at £50.

Added to this standard delivery takes 2 weeks which cannot be avoided. The other alternative courier delivery at $45/50 taking total cost to $85/90 which although still half the price of skinceuticals in the UK is a pain.

I wish they would establish a supplier in UK/ Europe Sad

I think what might be useful for UK C serum buyers is to buy a bottle of FRESH CE Ferulic from skinceuticals UK and then split it between 2 people to make the price less painful (I have found it almost impossible to get through the 30ml before it oxidises).

Other alternative is just to DIY the C Serum 'base' and add ultra-fine crystals with each application. After all skinceuticals patent relates only to the delivery system and stabilisation via pH and additional antioxidants. The ingredients are in no way proprietary hence the CSS dupe.
Needl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
I buy the Owndoc vitamin C powder. Sarah Vaughter gives detailed reasons she sells specifically that one and how to prepare it.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
daisylondon wrote:
Pure Skin Formulations. Right here on EDS!

Is the one you are using?

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/psf-vitamin-c-serum-15-wi-p_7212.htm

Looks like a good value. I am concerned if it would be OK for my sensitive skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:03 am      Reply with quote
ShiningStar77 wrote:
I really like the CSS serum, but the ordering from the US is really a pain. With delivery charges it just comes in at £50.

Added to this standard delivery takes 2 weeks which cannot be avoided. The other alternative courier delivery at $45/50 taking total cost to $85/90 which although still half the price of skinceuticals in the UK is a pain.

My latest order from CSS came in at just over £50 and it was with USPS fast track delivery- takes 2-4 days.

They do have a UK supplier but I just ordered one from them and it was oxidized. They obviously just hand out all the stock they have regardless of how long it has been there- not the case when you order directly from CSS.
ShiningStar77
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:34 am      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:
ShiningStar77 wrote:

My latest order from CSS came in at just over £50 and it was with USPS fast track delivery- takes 2-4 days.

They do have a UK supplier but I just ordered one from them and it was oxidized. They obviously just hand out all the stock they have regardless of how long it has been there- not the case when you order directly from CSS.

London Jamie how did you choose the USPS fast track option? Also how much does it cost?
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ShiningStar, when you are checking out you can choose which postage you would prefer- they have three options. My order came to $86 altogether, which converts to around £50.
ShiningStar77
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:
Hi ShiningStar, when you are checking out you can choose which postage you would prefer- they have three options. My order came to $86 altogether, which converts to around £50.

You're a star. Thanks so much. I have some loyalty points to use up so should come in handy.

Btw how long does your C serum usually last. I have had mine for about 6 weeks now and it is still clear. I am slightly perplexed but happy about this Surprised
Alexya
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
If you keep your C serum in the refrigerator, it should last several weeks. As long as it hasn't started to change color, you should be fine. If it turns yellow, don't use it. I use an old recipe of Kassy's for my DIY, and I include a preservative. You can always check the ingredients or ask the company if they use a preservative. I do know some people have been told by companies that it's OK to use the product when it is no longer clear, but my understanding is that when you see the yellow color the CE Ferulic serums are no longer good. It should definitely be OK for six weeks though.
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:37 am      Reply with quote
ShiningStar77 wrote:
LondonJamie wrote:

You're a star. Thanks so much. I have some loyalty points to use up so should come in handy.

Btw how long does your C serum usually last. I have had mine for about 6 weeks now and it is still clear. I am slightly perplexed but happy about this Surprised

Hi SS, I use mine up by about 6 weeks too. Also, I received my CSS serum from the States yesterday- it's clear as water and it took 3 days Smile
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
The best and cheapest way to get L-AA (Vitamin C) into your skin, IMO, is to make the serum yourself every 2 weeks, and then use a 0.2 mm roller to make channels so that up to 80% of the active goes into your skin (versus 7-10% with normal product application).

Making your own is easy as 1,2,3. All you have to do is to shake 1 part of fine LAA powder with 19 parts of warm distilled water in a dark bottle in a dark room. I use 1/8 of teaspoon.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |