Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hair Dilemma or Am I just Paranoid?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stork
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
Embarassed

Hi Everyone

So I have been dyeing my hair for about 8 years now, and it was more as a fashion reason, than because of greys.

Hmmph....but now I am getting lots of greys at age 43, so now its no longer a fashion statement, its for grey also.

But lo and behold,, I did some research and it seems hair dyes are extremely toxic and bad for our health. From causing bladder cancer to other illnesses!

The only one that seems v low risk is Henna. But its v messy and takes up to 6 hours to do! ugh. Sad

So I'm not sure what to do. I desperately need to get my hair coloured, but don't want to endanger my health at the same time, but from everything I have read on the internet, it seems its really bad for our health

I know that the last time I had my hair coloured, by the hair dresser (before I knew about the health risks) I had breathing problems, and a stuffy nose, after I had it done. Which last over 24 hours, also my skin was flushing very easily which lasted a week. But this had happened to me bfre, but no skin breakout happening.

So what do you guys think? I loved the colour I use to use in my hair, and it was advertised as being more 'natural' and was from the health food store. But when I researched it, it wasn't much better than the regular store bought hair dyes, in the health risks.

Thank you everyone for any help you can give me.

Happy Hair Days to you All ! Smile
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:34 am      Reply with quote
You might want to look at the Robert Craig line of color, since it has no ammonia, peroxide, etc. I used it for years, but once I became about 85% gray it didn't hold the color as well.

FYI that this line will NOT lighten color.

http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index.php
Stork
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Bethany

The herbatint range also does not include ammonia and a v low percentage of peroxide, some without, but its this chemical that seems to do most of the health damage phenylenediamine. It has even been detected in urine after hair dye usage. Sad
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:21 am      Reply with quote
Stork wrote:
Thanks Bethany

The herbatint range also does not include ammonia and a v low percentage of peroxide, some without, but its this chemical that seems to do most of the health damage phenylenediamine. It has even been detected in urine after hair dye usage. Sad

I just looked it up, and his line does contain phenylenediamine.
Stork
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
Yes youre right Bethany

I think the only hair dye that does NOT contain this health damaging chemical is Henna but even then best to check ingredients

But Henna is sooo messy and complicated to use and not just that, you cannot use any other colour ever over henna. Far from ideal. Sad
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
EU dyes from Schwarzkopf, Wella, L'Oreal or Davines have less suspicious or potentially allergenic stuff (they still have lots of hardcore chemicals there, though), not each and every kind, but there are options other than henna. There are other herbal tints/dyes available other than henna that are less potentially disastrous, Logona has good reviews and Phyto also used to have something similar.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Jazzi

What does EU mean?

Thanks,

Stork
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:52 am      Reply with quote
Stork wrote:
Hi Jazzi

What does EU mean?

Thanks,

Stork

European Union. They suggest tighter regulations when it comes to what chemicals are allowed in cosmetics, especually the irritating and allergenic kinds, so the ingredient lists are different for same product across the world for the big brands.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
Stork wrote:
Embarassed

Hi Everyone

So I have been dyeing my hair for about 8 years now, and it was more as a fashion reason, than because of greys.

Hmmph....but now I am getting lots of greys at age 43, so now its no longer a fashion statement, its for grey also.

But lo and behold,, I did some research and it seems hair dyes are extremely toxic and bad for our health. From causing bladder cancer to other illnesses!

The only one that seems v low risk is Henna. But its v messy and takes up to 6 hours to do! ugh. Sad

So I'm not sure what to do. I desperately need to get my hair coloured, but don't want to endanger my health at the same time, but from everything I have read on the internet, it seems its really bad for our health

I know that the last time I had my hair coloured, by the hair dresser (before I knew about the health risks) I had breathing problems, and a stuffy nose, after I had it done. Which last over 24 hours, also my skin was flushing very easily which lasted a week. But this had happened to me bfre, but no skin breakout happening.

So what do you guys think? I loved the colour I use to use in my hair, and it was advertised as being more 'natural' and was from the health food store. But when I researched it, it wasn't much better than the regular store bought hair dyes, in the health risks.

Thank you everyone for any help you can give me.

Happy Hair Days to you All ! Smile

Where did you read that hair dyes are bad for health and can cause cancer? If this was true; there would be a lot of hairdressers (who work with hair colour daily) with serious illnesses.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:44 am      Reply with quote
No official source (although PubMed has more than a few papers on that), but I know a lot of hair dressers (because I'm not faithful). And almost half of them complain about allergies, rashes and similar, particularly on hands. I would think it's because of daily exposure to irritating and allergenic chemicals.
I'm pretty much the last person to say that we are getting poisoned by cosmetics and that they cause cancer (because it's a complicated issue and really has very little to do with cosmetics, actually, but I digress), but at same time I'm aware that there are ingredients known to be irritating or otherwise damaging to skin and hair dyes/bleaches are among the worst offenders.

Anyhow, here's a little reading on the hair dye vs bladder cancer thing, there are sources cited so it's easy to do own reseaching from there and make educated choices:
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/hair-dyes

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:
Where did you read that hair dyes are bad for health and can cause cancer? If this was true; there would be a lot of hairdressers (who work with hair colour daily) with serious illnesses.

There is some discussion on these links that may be of interest:

Does Hair Dye Cause Cancer?
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/about-cancer/cancer-questions/does-hair-dye-cause-cancer

Hair Dyes and Cancer Risk
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/hair-dyes

ETA: oops! we must have been posting at the same time, Jazzi, as I posted the same link
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |