Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Retin-A, Retin-A Micro, Renova or Retinol?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ShiningStar77
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:17 am      Reply with quote
I am researching retinoids at the moment and have done a lot of reading on the various forms of topical Vitamin A.

I have read all about it's various forms and the side effects incl the good, bad and ugly. I have dark skin so I am particularly worried about which form to use. In particular I have heard that some forms of Retin-A are better for darker skin.

As such wanted to get feedback on what forms of Retin-A are better suited to dark skin. I have some un-eveness in pigmentation which I would like to resolve and also avoid making worse so any suggestions greatly appreciated.

TIA Smile
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:21 am      Reply with quote
You are basically researching for something that burns tissues and makes you sensitive in the sun.

Studies have shown it can be cancerous and thin the epidermis.

There are other ways to ''fight'' pigmentation.
Catski knows one with yogurt and turmeric if i am not wrong.Also avocado oil helps like rosehip oil does.
Yarrow oil is said to help as lemon juice does.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:40 am      Reply with quote
panoslydios wrote:
You are basically researching for something that burns tissues and makes you sensitive in the sun.

Catski knows one with yogurt and turmeric if i am not wrong.Also avocado oil helps like rosehip oil does.

Thanks for the response. I was not aware that Retin A 'burns' the tissue. My understanding was that it increased the rate of cell turnover and thus exfoliation. This is why I am heavily in research mode and hence my question.

The sun sensitivity issue is well documented. A lot of topicals have this effect i.e. glycolic acid and even Vitamin C itself.

That said I am looking for shared experiences and any studies, articles etc re the use of Retin A and any contraindications for pigmentation issues.
ShiningStar77
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:44 am      Reply with quote
panoslydios wrote:
People have good experiences with owndoc Retin-A.
Be careful though and use it every other day .Long term use may result in thinning of face according to sime users.Remember to use it reasonably and to always observe any effect on your face!

Btw Panoslydios I notice that you have recommended Retin-A in the past. Is there any reason(s) you no longer recommend it?
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:10 am      Reply with quote
ShiningStar77 wrote:
panoslydios wrote:
People have good experiences with owndoc Retin-A.
Be careful though and use it every other day .Long term use may result in thinning of face according to sime users.Remember to use it reasonably and to always observe any effect on your face!

Btw Panoslydios I notice that you have recommended Retin-A in the past. Is there any reason(s) you no longer recommend it?

I was silly back then following the protocols of the so called professional .LOL.

It is a dumb thing to put everyday of ones life a single vitamin on face.
Like the skin is deficient and need these massive doses.
Skin food is oxygen,sunlight,hydration and the stuff you get from fresh ,raw,organic and topical if possible foods.

In my experience massaging with rosehip or castor oil or likely with every oil out there(it has to be suitable for your skin) resolves pigmentation.It takes time.
Forgot to say avocado masks work .Put 1/2 mashed avocado with safflower oil or sunflower and cover the area or the whole face.

Others into Retin-A will tell you better .

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:03 am      Reply with quote
panoslydios wrote:

I disagree with panoslydios.

1) Lemon juice is very acidic and would be more irritating than Retin A if used properly.

2) Panoslydios will contradict herself. She also will provide no written evidence of her "facts". If something is known to cause cancer, please provide written documentation.

3) Yes there is other ways to fight pigmentation. The yogurt/tumeric mask does work for some people in regards to brightening. It is natural if concerned about pharmaceuticals.

4) Retin A (and related products) are exfoliates. Originally prescribed for acne to help clear clogged pores, etc. and then later documented for anti-aging properties.

5) Retin A (and other related products) can be irritating. If misused it can appear to be red and a sunburn look.

6) Retinol is OTC and available at drugstores. Even this can be irritating to sensitive skin and I would start slowly and only at night.

7) Other products that help hyper pigmentation include vitamin C, AHA (also an exfoliate to be used at night). Vitamin C can be used am and or pm. I like to use it during the day under my sunscreen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:08 am      Reply with quote
I should add that if you decide to use retinol, Retin A or alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) be sure to go slow. Even with OTC retinol, I would start a small amount every 2nd or 3rd day to start.

I always suggest a patch test for any new skin care products.

Always use a good sunscreen daily. Your skin will be sensitive due to the exfoliating and needs proper protection.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:13 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Autumn this was the sort of constructive advice I was looking for. Laughing

Btw do you have any idea views on which type of retinoid is better for darker skin/ pigmentation issues?
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
ShiningStar77 wrote:
Thanks Autumn this was the sort of constructive advice I was looking for. Laughing

Btw do you have any idea views on which type of retinoid is better for darker skin/ pigmentation issues?

I have fair skin that is quite sensitive. I like Avene that is a retinaldhyde. There is a lot of choices OTC plus Rx.

Maybe someone else will chime in with a suggestion.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:21 am      Reply with quote
What studies do you speak of here as I am aware of none. I have used Retin A in various forms for the last 30 years and have not had cancer (although my hubby has but he has a history of it in his family line).

Have you actually read the studies on Retin A - its got more studies behind it than any other topical that is applied to skin proving that it can help the skin to repair. Its a prescription medicine for a reason, and it deserves credit and respect for what it can achieve.
panoslydios wrote:

lagay
5% products discount

Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:00 am      Reply with quote
Quote:

While I've heard that Retin-A does thin the epidermis temporarily, I've not heard a thing about cancer. COME ON. If you don't have links to studies to back you up, then don't post ridiculous stuff like this. It's just scaremongering, frankly, and that's not what we are here to read.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:56 am      Reply with quote
It is widely known that retin-a thins the epidermis but the second part of the sentence was skipped. Retin-a thins the epidermis AND thickens the dermis.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
I do not know for dark skin but I use à Rx vit A named Tazorac and my skin tolorates it much better than the other Vit a product I used before.

I found this about dark skin, though it concernes acne it talks about vit A and dark skin.

http://acne.about.com/od/treatmenttips/tp/TreatmentTipsforSkinofColor.htm

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:23 am      Reply with quote
chantrelle99 wrote:
I do not know for dark skin but I use à Rx vit A named Tazorac and my skin tolorates it much better than the other Vit a product I used before.

I found this about dark skin, though it concernes acne it talks about vit A and dark skin.

http://acne.about.com/od/treatmenttips/tp/TreatmentTipsforSkinofColor.htm

Merci Chnatrelle - c'est ca qui je cherche Smile
libertango
5% products discount

Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
I use Vichy with retinal and hyaluronic acid, both the day and the night cream(double potency). I tolerate it very well. I am sure about its content of retinol, as one day this summer I applied the cream, and the next day I went to the beach, but I forgot the sunscreen. I can't say I burned my face, though I got some sort of a nice tan. (I am caucasian faired skin, but I don't get burned easily). The next day the skin on my face peeled almost like a peeling mask. I was scared, but in the end happy, as the result was absolutely OK. I continued to apply those creams (I don't use them everyday, but I generally use other creams), without any other peeling or other reactions.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |