Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
My HA/Vitamin C serum attempt has failed
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
tmaculate1
5% products discount

Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
I am extremely new to all of this so pardon my ignorance in advance.

I have followed a few board members closely and wanted to try my own HA/Vitamin C serum but it's too "watery" and lacks the thick, slick feel. I must be missing an ingredient but do not know which. Here is my simple formula:

8oz. aloe vera liquid
1/2 teaspoon HA
0.1oz Vitamin C
1 Teaspoon fragrance

What else am I missing?

Glenda
tmaculate1
5% products discount

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Can anyone help me with this?
Chiqui65
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I cannot really help you with your formula but why don't you try one of the great recipes from the forum:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

This one contains aloe vera:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=526300#526300
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:35 am      Reply with quote
I don't know anything about DIY, but I do know that certain versions of HA do not gel up as thickly as others. Maybe you used one of the smaller Dalton versions which are runnier?
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
What bethany said. Your HA probably wasn't a high enough particle size to gel. Sorry.
tmaculate1
5% products discount

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm using a recipe similar to the one Kassy uses (via Pure Bulk) here:

Hyaluronic 1% Solution

Preparation:
To prepare 12 fluid ounces of 1% (by weight) Hyaluronic Acid solution, be aware it should only be dissolved in cold water. Never attempt to dissolve Hyaluronic Acid in hot or room temperature water. You will need the following items:

3.56 grams Hyaluronic Acid Powder.
12 fluid ounces cold distilled water.
16 fluid ounce or larger capacity wide mouth glass or plastic water bottle with a tightly sealing lid.
Gram weight measuring scale with an accuracy of 0.01 gram and a capacity of 100 grams.
Pint sized glass or plastic measuring cup.
A wide-range cooking thermometer (that can go down to freezing)

***If I wanted to add Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) into the mix as a mild preservative, how would the ratios need to change using the method above?

Thanks again for the feedback! I think I'm starting to understand all of this now. Smile
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:51 am      Reply with quote
tmaculate1 wrote:
I am extremely new to all of this so pardon my ignorance in advance.

I have followed a few board members closely and wanted to try my own HA/Vitamin C serum but it's too "watery" and lacks the thick, slick feel. I must be missing an ingredient but do not know which. Here is my simple formula:

8oz. aloe vera liquid
1/2 teaspoon HA
0.1oz Vitamin C
1 Teaspoon fragrance

What else am I missing?

Glenda

If your HA powder is low molecular weight, then it will not thicken like the regular one. Also, it is hard to say what is the percentage of HA you are using. If it is too low, the serum will not thicken.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:53 am      Reply with quote
tmaculate1 wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm using a recipe similar to the one Kassy uses (via Pure Bulk) here:

Hyaluronic 1% Solution

Preparation:
To prepare 12 fluid ounces of 1% (by weight) Hyaluronic Acid solution, be aware it should only be dissolved in cold water. Never attempt to dissolve Hyaluronic Acid in hot or room temperature water. You will need the following items:

16 fluid ounce or larger capacity wide mouth glass or plastic water bottle with a tightly sealing lid.
Gram weight measuring scale with an accuracy of 0.01 gram and a capacity of 100 grams.

***If I wanted to add Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) into the mix as a mild preservative, how would the ratios need to change using the method above?

Thanks again for the feedback! I think I'm starting to understand all of this now. Smile

Just subtract it from water in grams.
tmaculate1
5% products discount

Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:12 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
tmaculate1 wrote:

Hyaluronic 1% Solution

Preparation:

Just subtract it from water in grams.

But shouldn't I be adding more water since I am introducing more powder?
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:11 am      Reply with quote
tmaculate1 wrote:

Then the percentage of HA will no longer be 1%.
tmaculate1
5% products discount

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:28 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
tmaculate1 wrote:

Then the percentage of HA will no longer be 1%.

OK just so I'm clear on this....

In order for me to add in the Vitamin C, I need to deduct that amount (in grams) from the water portion? Please confirm. I will try this today.

Thanks, Sunshine!
bacchus
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:53 am      Reply with quote
If you're not using a proper preservative (anti-microbial) then do not make more than you can use up in a few days. Vitamin C is not an anti-microbial and will not preserve your mix against bacteria, mold, yeast...

Also, sterilize/disinfect your workspace, measuring tools, and storage bottle and work in as clean an environment as possible (do this whether you use preservatives or not!).
tmaculate1
5% products discount

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Oops, another road block for me.

I assumed the Vitamin C was sufficient as a preservative. So what should I be using for long-term storage needs?

Thanks for the heads up.
bacchus
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:10 am      Reply with quote
How long term?

I use Phenoxyethanol at 0.5% and keep my potions in airless pump bottles. My stuff generally gets used up within a month or so, so I've had absolutely no issues.

If I were to make larger batches, I'd store any unused portion in the refrigerator (also in airless pump bottles - ready to go). I'd expect it could hold for up to 6 months, likely longer. But that, for me, remains untested.
tmaculate1
5% products discount

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:32 am      Reply with quote
bacchus wrote:
How long term?

I use Phenoxyethanol at 0.5% and keep my potions in airless pump bottles. My stuff generally gets used up within a month or so, so I've had absolutely no issues.

If I were to make larger batches, I'd store any unused portion in the refrigerator (also in airless pump bottles - ready to go). I'd expect it could hold for up to 6 months, likely longer. But that, for me, remains untested.

I'll give that a shot!

Last thing, is there a good source where I can purchase this online or thru retail? And at what ounce variation would I use it with the above recipe?

Thanks!
bacchus
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Retail? You mean like a bricks and mortar store somewhere? I've never found any stores that carry this sort of stuff (and vitamin supplements are a NO, for the most part) where I live and I live in a fairly large urban area. I'd say stick to online ... I think there is a list of suppliers in the DIY thread somewhere.

I can't even wrap my head around teaspoons and ounces .. sorry! I have to work by weight (grams) and percentages. Way, way more accurate. Working with teaspoons will give incredibly variable results -- not good!
Your teaspoon of sugar may weigh a completely different amount than my teaspoon of sugar. But 1 gram of sugar is 1 gram of sugar, no matter who is weighing it (provided the scales are properly calibrated, of course Smile ).

If you do want to commit to making your own stuff, you should definitely buy a small scale and get used to weighing out your ingredients. It really is much simpler!

eta: here's a thread on suppliers http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=32529&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
it's pretty old, though, so scroll through to more recent postings to get to some of the newer websites.
tmaculate1
5% products discount

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:11 am      Reply with quote
OK I have read some mixed results regarding Phenoxyethanol. Is there another preferred preservative or is this the standard?

I plan to send these out to relatives over the Holidays so I want to make sure I use a preservative that is long lasting and easy on all skin types.
tmaculate1
5% products discount

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone know what the standard preservative is for longterm use?
vil
5% products discount

Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:25 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I don't know anything about DIY, but I do know that certain versions of HA do not gel up as thickly as others. Maybe you used one of the smaller Dalton versions which are runnier?

Using the HA that I had on hand, I also didn't manage to get the solution to thicken at all, even when following the recipe amounts. So, would that solution still be anywhere as effective for a humectant (for drawing moisture to the skin)?
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |