Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

clogged pores, retin A and finacea
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
chocosweet
5% products discount

Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone! Hope you all are doing well!
Need some advice here

So, my skin (face) has always this flesh colored bumps, you can see them if I stretch my skin under certain lightning. If I squeeze them, they will produce like white long plug (not sure how to describe it), they will flatten. but after few days, they will form up again on the very same spot!
They left red marks, but I can tackle them with Vit C serum as always (and work soooo well). They only appear on lower cheeks.

Nothing seems to improve them except constant exfoliation.
Mind you, my facial wash is Queen Helene mint julep SCRUB 2x a day, followed with microfiber cloth 2x a day. Additional MU remover at PM (to remove Sunscreen)

As my regime:
DIY Niacinamide toner (just a simple rose water solution - pH 7)
wait like 5-10mins
DIY C serum (just simple distilled water and LAA)
wait 20-30mins
Finacea geal 15% azelaic acid
AM and PM regime remain the same, except additional ZnO sunscreen (Elemental Herbs Kids/All Terrain Aquasport) on AM.

Into the business, since adding C serum and Finacea gel, my condition has def improved 70% on those tiny clogged pores. I have been doing C-serum for a good 8 months. and now into 3rd month of Finacea gel.
The clogged pores take longer time to reform now and on lesser quantity.

Now, my question is, will Retin-A help those clogged pores?
I believe my skin has hyper-keratinization(sp?), therefor Finacea (which is said to normalize keratin development) has helped quite a bit.

If yes, what percentage should I start with?
Cream or in gel form? or microgel?
Should I expect purging?
How should I incorporate it (retin a) to my regime?
I want to use Finacea along with it if I can...
I understand retin A should be only used at night. No worries, I'm diligent with sunscreen, till I am paranoid about my vit D level actually, as I use sunscreen for head to toe. Bad Grin

ah, I'm 21 y.o if it does matter. Normal skin (not oily or dry).
Always have clear t-zone. Rarely get inflamed type of acne.
Problem areas are on both lower cheeks and jawline.
Daily I take fish oil (since 3 years ago, help with my menstrual cramps) and 30mg Opti-zinc, Vit C, sometimes MSM or collagen or biosil (these 3 if I have incoming big event like prom party or wedding party)

TIA!
Appreciate those can help my queries! Very Happy

21, Asian, Regime: Queen Helene Mint Julep Scrub, DIY B3-rose toner, DIY C+MSM serum, Finacea gel; Oil: tamanu & emu! Fav chem SS: RoC Soleil Protexion SPF50 Sensitive Skin; Physical SS: All Terrain Aquasport, currently using Elemental Herbs Kids; Skin type: normal; Concern: clogged pores on lower cheek, PIH
chocosweet
5% products discount

Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:06 am      Reply with quote
bump! anyone??

21, Asian, Regime: Queen Helene Mint Julep Scrub, DIY B3-rose toner, DIY C+MSM serum, Finacea gel; Oil: tamanu & emu! Fav chem SS: RoC Soleil Protexion SPF50 Sensitive Skin; Physical SS: All Terrain Aquasport, currently using Elemental Herbs Kids; Skin type: normal; Concern: clogged pores on lower cheek, PIH
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:40 am      Reply with quote
You have had 70% improvement using your products, I would keep at it. That much exfoliating would take off all my skin but it seems like it works for you.

If you do add retin-a, start very slow. Once a week for a few weeks, twice a week for a few weeks etc. Your routine is heavy on the exfoliating without a lot of hydration.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Having rosacea and using Finacea, I can tell you that retin-A does not agree with my skin at all. It makes my skin irritated, more congested and the rosacea actually flare. The purge and peeling never ends, even with small amounts and time in between.
My derm asked me NOT to use so I find other alternatives.
I can tolerate a very small amount of milder retinol in my products used sparingly. I take a Vitamin A supplement instead.
It sounds like you have found a routine that is working and with time should get you to the skin you want. 70% improvement is amazing!
The Vitamin C I use is in Proheal by Phty-C and/or IS Clinical and it covers it all for me.
Good luck!

5% products discount

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies!
LauraLizzie
Hi, my skin can take it maybe because since I'm 19 I used to use glycolic acid daily (by derm, w/ sunscreen of course!) so my skin is pretty tough? I did peel quite a lot on the beginning (of glycolic treatment). Also, my skin doesn't feel dry at all,,,age factor? or my intake of fish oil is helping? or because of my niacinamide toner? since I read that niacinamide does increase skin hydration and also is a barrier repair.
But I DO use hydrating serum (Olay Intensive Brightening Serum, niacinamide-based) when I feel I need it, or Physiogel cream (ceramide based)

AnnieR
Hmm...how's finacea on you? Does it help your condition?

I'm still hesitant to add retin-A though, as you all said,,I'm scared my skin will peel off. ouch.
Also, I DO plan on getting pregnant if I'll get married (IF!), can't imagine the pain to stop retin-a (if I start now) on pregnancy and restart it again after delivery...

But really want to end of these pesky clogged pores on reforming! Any other alternatives??

SweetishBlonde
5% products discount

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:20 am      Reply with quote
I have mild rosacea and Finacea burned my skin. Prior to that I used Metrogel which did not burn but, sadly, did nothing for my rosacea. The only thing that helps me is Oracea, an oral time - released antibiotic.

As sensitive as I am, I can use Retin A in the form of Atralin. The other versions I tried - regular retina a cream when it first came out, Renova and Retina A microgel- all burned my skin and the first 2 clogged pores, but I can use Atralin a few times a week. You might want to ask your doctor about this and see if you can get a sample or 2 to try. ( Note I use this for anti-aging and not breakouts.) Atralin has a coupon which reduces your out of pocket expense to $35.

A product which I think is great for clogged pores and does not have the pregnancy risks of Retin A is Paula's Choice 2 percent BHA Liquid. My skin looks so much better when I use this product. It stings slightly but that goes away within seconds. It is less expensive than most things I have tried that did not work near as well.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:14 am      Reply with quote
The finacea has been okay but I cannot use it all the time. Oracea did help as well but I cannot be on long-term antibiotics right now and am taking a break for my system!
The best thing I did for my rosacea was the EXCEL laser by Cutera. But it is quite the recovery 7-10 days after swelling and bruising and a little pricey so I will only do that once every year or every other. IPL's are also good.
Those work better for me than topicals but more down time and more money!

5% products discount

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:35 am      Reply with quote
My doctor said the most I should do is 90 days on and then 90 off with Oracea.

Annie, I have done laser treatments at my dermatologist for redness ( more pink than red). I believe mine was the IPL. I did 2 sets of 2 treatments about 18 months apart on a setting that produced a tiny bit of swelling ( husband and kid did not notice, but I did) and one little bruise that looked like a glob of grape jelly and was hidden with a dab of makeup. These worked very well. My redness is gone, but I have a few little veins by my nostrils that I want to zap with something stronger. The IPL helped with those though they came back much quicker than the pink in my cheeks. I wonder if the laser you did would help with that. I can handle the downtime.
chocosweet
5% products discount

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:40 am      Reply with quote
SweetishBlonde
I've been leeming PC 2% BHA actually...but, how's the texture before I purchase??

Finacea gel burned you? Or is it just itchy and stinging??

Even though I have been using for 2 months, I still feel itchiness and sting for good 10mins, but still reap the benefits.

Wow,,,having rosacea is tough!
I myself am not sure my skin condition, I do experience some redness on upper cheek (trigger it or not) on certain month (usually on july-aug or dec-january).
I'm living on equator (and having the highest UV index!) so we don't have 4 seasons changing.

AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:57 am      Reply with quote
My derm wanted me on the Oracea year round and that's why I backed off. I wasn't seeing enough of a positive result to make it worthwhile for me.
I have had better results with upping my Vitamin A intake.
Yes, when the Finacea is first applied it does sting a bit but then it stops. It doesn't last that long.
I need to remember to keep it up. I fell off the bandwagon for a long time but didn't really need it right after the EXCEL Laser. Its been almost a year now but that thing was amazing!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
I have ordered from Paula's Choice a few times. In regards to BHA:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-care-categories/aha-and-bha-exfoliants/_/CLEAR-Regular-Strength-Anti-Redness-Exfoliating-Solution-With-Two-Percent-Salicylic-Acid/

This is the one I like for everyday. It is not sticky like the original BHA 2% liquid.

I also have the BHA 9%. This one would be good for trouble spots. It is rather thick and does not absorb quickly like the other one mentioned above.

http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-care-categories/aha-and-bha-exfoliants/_/RESIST-BHA-9/

Get samples of PC.

Also I agree with the others; you seem to be on the right track. Excellent progress.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:04 am      Reply with quote
I used the BHA as well, it was pretty good and did not irritate my skin. Good reminder to reorder!

5% products discount

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:38 am      Reply with quote
I characterized Finacea as burning because I tried it a couple of times and each time I got a sunburn-like redness across my cheeks that lasted into the next day after leaving it on only 5 to 10 minutes the night before. It was so bad on me that I had to rinse it off.
The Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid is my favorite. Its consistency is close to water. You wipe it on with a cotton square. The only way I feel like I have anything on my face is if I use too much.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Boy, that is tough! Mine was just a temporary sting that went away, no lasting redness or lingering tingle.
My derm had recommended using it over whatever lotion I chose and waiting an hour or so after I washed my face to apply it.

5% products discount

Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
Paula Choice's BHA 2% Liquid, is the consistency similar to water? Or does it have more viscosity? Is it sticky?

Seems lots of users here use it.
Does it help on flesh colored clogged pores?
I don't really have blackheads/pustule/cyst problem actually...

Angelcat47
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
I do not have it,but I believe your condition is called Sebaceous Hyperplasia.
chocosweet
5% products discount

Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:05 am      Reply with quote
hi Angelcat47
I googled the pictures, I don't think so I have those.
Mine is not big, and I can extract them...
Also, the clogged pores are hidden anyway,,I need to stretch the skin and see them...

System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |