Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The effects of the Sun on our hair - Good or Bad?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Poll :: Do you like the effects of the sun on your hair?

No, I avoid it at all cost but I don't buy products
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
No, and I do buy UV protectors
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Yes, the more sun the better - no products requuired
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Yes, but I also use conditioner to prevent dryness
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, I like the natural highlighting from the sun but avoid it because of its effects on the skin
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

UKwithLove
5% products discount

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi EDS folk

According to haircare companies, the UV rays of the Sun is damaging to our hair, and therefore we should either avoid it or buy their sun protectors.
What I don't understand is, that I like the suns natural lightening effect, and I wonder whether we are being led by cleaver marketing to buy chemical dyes and hair UV protectors.

Am I the only one here that thinks this, or do you all genuinely not like the suns effects? or is our hair all very different and some people are especially vulnerable to sun damage? Love to hear your thoughts.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:25 am      Reply with quote
If you color your hair, the sun can definitely fade it. Especially with hard to retain reds.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:54 am      Reply with quote
OP,

The book below has some insightful information:
http://books.google.com/books?id=q3MGMTYAfu4C&pg=PA321&dq=sun+hair&hl=en&sa=X&ei=IV6fUqLUEcnLkQfoqYGAAw&ved=0CEMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=sun%20hair&f=false
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
I had something like a small brown spot in winter.Exposure to sun made it go to the surface,like being more prominent.And i managed to remove it with a method of mine.

So i believe the sun brings to surface toxins.

I am sure about this one though:
when a terrific source of energy like the sun hits your body and face,you either let it pass through you,open your pores and get the benefits or be afraid of it,close your pores,strain your skin,frown your eyebrows and develop flaws and blemished.

My 2 cents.

5% products discount

Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks all for your comments so far. One additional thought is that people may like the natural highlighting from the sun, and yet avoid it because of its effects on the skin!

I'll see if EDS allow me to add that question to the poll.

Personally I find the aesthetic of the sun superior on both my hair and skin, in both young and older people. Although tanned skin may be damaging, it sure looks healthier than my washed out indoor anaemic look.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
UKwithLove wrote:
Although tanned skin may be damaging, it sure looks healthier than my washed out indoor anaemic look.

Quick question...how old are you?
UKwithLove
5% products discount

Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Sure, I'm 33 with black/brown hair, and I find my hair really transforms within a few weeks of good summer sun. I personally love the copper highlights.

Another thing is I haven't dyed my hair in forever because it's essentially poring very powerful free radicals over the scalp and skin. I feel chemical dyes cause increased ageing to the skin over the long term. Hence my interest in the sun and all things natural Smile
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
I avoid the sun at all costs. It bleaches out my hair dye and having a tan just isn't worth it from all the negatives. I do not look washed out nor anemic- if you feel this way avoiding the sun I would look into supplements.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
I avoid the sun at all costs. It bleaches out my hair dye and having a tan just isn't worth it from all the negatives. I do not look washed out nor anemic- if you feel this way avoiding the sun I would look into supplements.

How would supplements help her?
Would they darken her skin in some way?
UKwithLove
5% products discount

Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Vitamin supplement won't darken the skin; mega dosages of carotenoids which are redish can show in the skin but only if you deliberately binge eat carrots for weeks on end. carotenoids are an essential part of healthy diet.

I believe Eva was just advising on vitamins to make up for possible vitamin D deficiency from lack of sun, which has no relation to colour of the skin.

Thanx Veronica
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |