Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Retin A: Incredible on forehead, horrible around eyes
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
fungsuey

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
I started using Retin-A .025% about 5 weeks ago. I apply about 6 times a week. Overall, I'm already very happy with the result as my 90% of my face has improved, some of it dramatically, during this time.
I started taking it primarily for glabellar and forehead lines. I had these noticeably, even at 26, and everybody scoffed at the idea of me getting botox so young. My forehead peeled to the point of bleeding, but once new skin resurfaced, the results were amazing, especially for only a couple of weeks. I went from having frown lines in a resting position to barely any at all, in a matter of weeks! It seems as if my skin tolerates this product pretty well. I'm glad I didn't "punk out" like so many do.

I did't have peeling anywhere after about 3 weeks, except for my eyes, which are getting worse and worse. They don't burn as much anymore, however.
I apply the retin-a around where the dark circles start on my lower lid, crows feet, and the part of the brow bone underneath my eyebrows. I apply retin-a a night and exfoliate gently with a wet washcloth in the morning. By the end of the day, there is fresh peeling. The rest of my face looks like a baby's bottom, but my eyes look like the crypt keeper. There is no sign of this letting up.

Is this normal? Is it possible some of my skin can tolerate the retin-a and some can't? Is using retin-a around the eyes not recommended?
riverdance
5% products discount

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
My dermatologist told me not to ever use Retin-a around the eyes Esp. The tear trough (under eye area) and on and above the eyelid and brow! You can apply it on crows feet just not too close to the eye. She told me it can cause vision problems even if its not being put directly into the eye. She also said to stay away from the creases on each side of your nose as you don't want Retin-a getting into your mucous membranes. Now, Why are you exfoliating in the am? You shouldn't be exfoliating while using Retin-a either as it can cause scarring. Did you get your prescription from a Dr.? Did they not discuss any of this with you before giving it to you?
fungsuey

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for your reply! Well this is embarrassing! I just ordered it online. I do not have acne, and even if I did I do not have insurance.

Come to think of it I have been tearing at night after applying it. The tearing caused a lot of burning at first, where my skin would come into contact with the moisture. I do not get it near my tear ducts, and apply it about .5 to 1 inch below my eye. My actual lids have been peeling a bit, even though I don't apply it there. I will stop with the eye area, definitely, since I am not making any progress there.

Also, what I do isn't a true "exfoliation". I just use the washcloths that came with a soft "Egyptian cotton" towel set, which is enough to get off the peeling but does not cause additional irritation. I did read that exfoliation isn't advisable with retin-A.
riverdance
5% products discount

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, don't be embarrassed! You didn't do anything wrong! Im sure a lot of people purchase Retin-a via the Internet. And they not using it for acne either. They usually purchase it for the same reason you did, to get rid of their wrinkles. I wouldn't personally buy that kind of stuff via the Internet. I'd be afraid I might not get what I thought I was getting.
I actually use Retin-a for wrinkles as well. I get a prescription from my dermatologist. I have a lower .025 less irritating kind of Retin-a, called Tretenoin. I haven't had any irritation or bleeding at all. Just less wrinkles..lol My derm said there should only be minor skin sloughing that the retin a does for you. You shouldn't need to do any kind of even soft scrubbing with the washcloth. There shouldnt be any bleeding or alot of peeling. If there is, she said it was too strong and to stop using it. Unfortunately, most insurance co.'s wont cover it bc they know Someone in their 40s (me) isnt using it for acne. However, you re only 26, I bet you could get away with saying you re using for acne. If you decide to go to a derm, you may want to ask them and go that route.
Sorry for the long winded reply....but I would stop applying it anywhere near your eyes, only use a pea size amount for your whole face, stop exfoliating and making your face bleed and always WEAR SUNSCREEN!! I can't tell you how many friends of mind who use Retin a have badly burned their faces bc they didn't wear sunscreen. I hope this helps!!
LuvMyBoxer
5% products discount

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
My derm told me that it's fine to use around the eye and even on the lids. Although I haven't tried it on the lids, I've used it under the eye, as well as the brow bone. I actually use Tazorac .05...it's pretty strong (intended for acne treatment). When I use it around the eyes, I apply a drop or two of oil and/or a moisturizer first then follow up with an itty bit of Taz.
havana8

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Check out keli13's posts in this thread regarding her experience using Retin A around her eyes: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=36580
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |