Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Im going blonde at home(this week, mind giving me some tips?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
heyheymonster
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Sooo after having red hair for a long time and having the color fade to a light auburn color I've decided to go back to blonde.

My real hair color is a dark blonde light brown and I ordered some - light gold extra blonde 8-55 hair color and ultra light blonde 10-0 along with 30% volume developer. (Igora royal hair color)

Anyways that's the background, I'm going to go to the store this week and buy coconut oil to condition my hair after I color it this weekend...I originally wanted to color it today but ...I thought i'd be extra careful. And I wanted to ask some things...

first off my hairs just a light brown shade with an orange tint...I want gold blonde but Im worried I'll come out strawberry blonde? I really hope not. what do you guys think?
So I've thought about getting a toner, but usually if they cancel out red or orange it will cancel the gold color?

I want a dirty gold blonde so I figure 30 might do the job...and instead of 30 mins I'll leave it in for the full 45 maybe even 55

as for the ultra blonde color I wanted to foil it. And create some highlights and larger chunks of light hair towards the ends and the hair framing my face...for the 10-00 I hope 30% dvlp. can do the job...

My question about going light and lighter....

so if I do two tones..do I foil the highlights first and then color in between the foils when im done?

or

die my hair dirty blonde and then rinse, dry and then add highlights?

question about the hair mixture.....
(this is my last question)

can i add coconut oil to the mix? When I first dyed my hair red with igora royal my hair felt really dry and nasty...so the next time and times after I added avocado oil and no more dryness!...can I add coconut oil to the blonde or will that just...not work?

If you can help id really appreciate it.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:01 am      Reply with quote
I am definitely not the person to provide any guidance since I just turned my hair green and needed professional assistance in fixing it. However I did want to wish you luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:27 am      Reply with quote
I would suggest having a salon professional change/correct the colour back to blonde.

Once your base colour is back; you can always add highlights or lowlights at home. Start with small amounts. I find it easier to work with a cap rather than foils at home.

The salon does foil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:22 am      Reply with quote
Of all the things I am comfortable with trying at home, blonde is not it! (All due to experience and none of it good).
Blonde is tricky,too much gold or red and it comes out brassy and trying to add ash turns it green Verdi like a copper penny.
I would definitely seek out a professional to turn it back to blonde and then manage the darker highlights yourself if you want later.
My hairdresser does blonde highlights and a darker shade of blonde for low-lights, all done by foil and followed by a violet toner which keeps out the yellow and brassy shades. Then we put a deep conditioner on it that you can also get from amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TH8Y3S/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That said I also use from time to time L'oreal Highlighting kit just as a root touch-up (mainly in the winter) and just the dark color, not the highlight and not on for all that long. It is a little brassier than I like for the lighter color.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dbeauty&field-keywords=loreal%20highlighting%20kit%20in%20biscotti
My hairdresser doesn't always like that, but it works in a pinch. You cannot buy just the darker color by itself.
My colors are more of a beachy with beige tones if that helps, but I had a tendency when younger to have a touch of red tone to it. Now its just grey roots and the highlights color well.
But I come from the land of big hair and blonde so it is my number one vanity, haha.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:25 am      Reply with quote
And I should add, my hairdresser says the issue with going lighter yourself is that over-the- counter products (and not enough experience) lead you to not "lifting" enough of the pigment to get past the brassier tones. So check it constantly and best of luck!
Let us know how it turns out!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:30 am      Reply with quote
I tried to post my reply but it didn't go through for some reason...anyways...

surprise surprise you all were right to a degree...when I lightened my hair, my natural hair and the long roots turned this amazing blonde color...it was probably the most amazing blonde ive ever seen...no joke. BUT the part of my hair that was previously dyed didnt lift at all...so I had this sun kissed thing going on, I mean it didn't look as bad as it sounds but it wasn't good either.

And on top of it all my hair got fried
so I was disappointed and decided that lifting it wasn't going to be a total waste

So i went to sally's and headed for the bright fashion colors, I knew blues wouldn't stick so I looked around the reds and purples. I decided to get bright orange and bright red colors along with some vitamin E oil and a little sample of a hair repair treatment with silk and biotin extract. I also picked up a deep conditioning packet as I was checking out.

I went home and mixed the two colors, put a shower cap on and after 30 mins got in the shower and rinsed and applied the conditioner and treatment after I got out and was putting on my robe.

Now i like more copper colors...that's why I got orange but the color came out bright red with gold and purple tones...Its pretty intense and I feel like I should be headed to an anime convention haha.

Surprisingly though I love it, I love the mix up of the bright red the gray eyes and my snow white skin. Not to mention its a head turner for sure aha, I went to the store and as I would pass someone they seemed to take notice of my hair haha.

If you all want to know what I used-

Ion brights semi permanent hair color (yes I did get even color )
Ion color conditioner packet
silk hair treatment
Hollywood vitamin E oil(which I mixed in the color as I mixed it)
coconut oil
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
heyheymonster wrote:
I tried to post my reply but it didn't go through for some reason...anyways...

surprise surprise you all were right to a degree...when I lightened my hair, my natural hair and the long roots turned this amazing blonde color...it was probably the most amazing blonde ive ever seen...no joke. BUT the part of my hair that was previously dyed didnt lift at all...so I had this sun kissed thing going on, I mean it didn't look as bad as it sounds but it wasn't good either.

And on top of it all my hair got fried
so I was disappointed and decided that lifting it wasn't going to be a total waste

So i went to sally's and headed for the bright fashion colors, I knew blues wouldn't stick so I looked around the reds and purples. I decided to get bright orange and bright red colors along with some vitamin E oil and a little sample of a hair repair treatment with silk and biotin extract. I also picked up a deep conditioning packet as I was checking out.

I went home and mixed the two colors, put a shower cap on and after 30 mins got in the shower and rinsed and applied the conditioner and treatment after I got out and was putting on my robe.

Now i like more copper colors...that's why I got orange but the color came out bright red with gold and purple tones...Its pretty intense and I feel like I should be headed to an anime convention haha.

Surprisingly though I love it, I love the mix up of the bright red the gray eyes and my snow white skin. Not to mention its a head turner for sure aha, I went to the store and as I would pass someone they seemed to take notice of my hair haha.

If you all want to know what I used-

Ion brights semi permanent hair color (yes I did get even color )
Ion color conditioner packet
silk hair treatment
Hollywood vitamin E oil(which I mixed in the color as I mixed it)
coconut oil

Is the Ion Brights in orange and red colours?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
yes they are though the red has purple tones too,
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
Was going to say that at home bleach is terrible for your hair!

I have generally had INOA hair colour put in by a hairdresser. This is better for the hair than the home stuff because contains no ammonia. As fas as I know, one of the marketable attractions of INOA to hair dressers is that it is not sold in shops. Then one day I said I wanted my hair really blonde so the hairdresser had to use bleach as INOA will lighten hair but not make it really light blonde. My hair became noticeably dryer and straw-like after this.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:16 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I am definitely not the person to provi nevde any guidance since I just turned my hair green and needed professional assistance in fixing it. However I did want to wish you luck!

Haha,

yes- I usually ask the hair professionals at the store I buy my salon hair colour from.
I have yet to mess up my hair....ever.

But have never done blond on myself.
I've had the salon do mini highlights with blonde hair dye and usually the lightest I've done myself is a light golden brown.

Most hair colour I've bought came in a tube and the salon usually just gives me the developper part as I do not need a whole 1 liter bottle,so not sure what strength you need for blonde.

I think you need to do something to make the shade of your hair even before making it blonde or else it might go and be two colours after??
not too sure...just a guess..
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Moon wrote:
Was going to say that at home bleach is terrible for your hair!

I have generally had INOA hair colour put in by a hairdresser. This is better for the hair than the home stuff because contains no ammonia. As fas as I know, one of the marketable attractions of INOA to hair dressers is that it is not sold in shops. Then one day I said I wanted my hair really blonde so the hairdresser had to use bleach as INOA will lighten hair but not make it really light blonde. My hair became noticeably dryer and straw-like after this.

I did not know INOA was advertised as "not sold in shops".
I can buy it from a hair supply store/salon , but I am in Canada and the store does not advertise they sell professional hair colours.

I don't think I've ever bought drugstore hair colour as the salon I shop at has been around forever Smile

That reminds me, I really need to get a haircut.
I had to trim my own hair last week (I do own haircut scissors,just do not like cutting my own hair....)

I'm not sure how adding oils to the hair colour mixture would work.
But after you wash or rinse your hair you can apply jojoba or coconut or even olive oil and leave it on for at least a day so your hair colour can set better and your hair will feel less dry when you wash it.

Also prob not washing your hair for a day or two will have it feel less dry.

Using a hair cream also can help.
I really like the ABBA hair and body moisturizer. it absorbs very well and is even nice as a hand and body cream.

I think they renamed it Abba Gentle Conditioner.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |