Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Any Good Workout Videos or DVDs?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
kpka
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies,
We all like to talk about our skin products but what about any workout that can make our body firm and beautifull Rolling Eyes
I usually go to aerobic and weight lifting classes because I like to workout in groups. In that case I know I will not stop when I feel minor muscle crumps but rather will finish excercise with the group. Now it is really cold outside and I can't make myself go to work out.
The question is: Can you suggest any good workout videos or dvds that worked for you in the same way as working out in the gym?
Thanks Smile
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
kpka, Im not sure Im going to like this subject. Im out of breath just walking up the stairs. Im SO unfit its untrue. Now, I mean to get fit and I really want to get fit, but getting there, is another matter. But tomorrow is another day and I never give up hope Rolling Eyes

Feel free to shame me, and make me feel terrible for being lazy, and also feel free to offer any support and help push me along. Embarassed
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
hi
I have loads of excercise videos but I am afraid none of them keep my interest for more than one or two goes. I always have good intentions but alas do not have the commitment to keep on following them. I actually prefer to put on good music and dance round the house like a demented monkey. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
the crunch series are good videos...I tried one with my boyfriends mom..it was actually a decent workout.
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:16 am      Reply with quote
I'm trying to think of stuff I've used in the UK that is also available in the US. The 8 minute buns/legs/arms/abs series are decent and I've used the Kathy Smith - Boxing tape - that'll whip you in to shape Very Happy if you want a change of pace how about bellydancing? I've got the Neena & Veena set not a heavy workout but targets them in a different way.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:58 am      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
hi
I have loads of excercise videos but I am afraid none of them keep my interest for more than one or two goes. I always have good intentions but alas do not have the commitment to keep on following them. I actually prefer to put on good music and dance round the house like a demented monkey. Rolling Eyes

You demented monkey you. It's 5 AM and I have been up all night so though I would get on forum. You should see me get my exercise Lori Shock I dance with the Wiggles with my grandson (ankle brace and all Mad ). He thinks Noni is awesome. He is only 2 1/2. In a few years he will probably think I am nuts. Laughing
Caspers Mum

Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:25 am      Reply with quote
I don't know what you're looking for, and as I live on the top floor of an apartment building, I don't use tapes at home. Might bother the neighbours below, if I were to jump up & down. Besides, I prefer getting out: walking to work, hitting my gym, or rollerblading.

The Kathy Smith series always seems to do well: her low-impact video. Jane Fonda's "Challenge" is apparently an ass-kicker too. `Guess it all depends on what one needs, and what their level of fitness is. I can borrow fitness videos from the library (no charge!). This may have to be my next research "topic"! Lord knows, my chubby butt n' gut could use it!
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
I've always liked the Gin Miller Reebok Video series....the Power steps workouts are superb, all-round workouts.
Pudoodles
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
I get most of my exercise outdoors but on rainy days I like to do the Winsor Pilates dvd. I'm quite fit and if I haven't done this workout in a while I really feel it.
This afternoon I beat my husband at two sets of tennis 6-4, 6-3 for the first time in over a year. Yiipppeee!!!! Oops, am I gloating?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
Today I got a catalog 100% devoted to exercise videos and DVD's. There were hundreds of them! The mind boggles! They had videos for every kind of exercise you can imagine, and many of them were rated by ease of use, instructor, etc.

I want to say it was Collage or College Exercise catalog. Something like that.

I have heard pretty good things about Gunnar Peterson's (PT to the stars) Core Video Series for really strengthening and toning, but have not tried it myself.

I have a Kathy Smith -"Lose Weight with Weights" video that's pretty good. I also have one - can't remember the name - that I had to get the exercise ball for. I should really get going on that again, b/c it really did help tighten my abs (which I never thought I'd ever do!)

Maria

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:49 am      Reply with quote
oh yeah the MTV dance series of tapes are funky.

I have a bootcamp tape that left me limping and sore for about a week, that was when I was boxing 3xs a week so it must have been good, have to build that up slowly Laughing

it's good to have a variety so you don't get bored.
marella
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
A friend was visiting us recently for a couple of weeks and she had the Windsor Pilates videos and it seemed like a good set of videos. The one that she had is the one that starts with a step by step video showing you and taking you through all the moves and showing you how to do them in a slightly different form if you back trouble, neck trouble etc. The next of the videos was a 20 minute workout and the last a workout for about an hour, you work up to that. She was just getting back into it, but said when she did it regularly for a while she noticed that she was getting a 'six pack'. Well let me tell you boys and girls she is not any sort of fit exercise fiend. She is a very normal working Mom who has tons of responsibilities. Not a person you would associate with ever having a 'six pack' or any other kind.

That convinced me and yesterday I checked out Windsor Pilates on line but could not find the same videos that she had. They seemed harder and very gung-ho and not for the beginner. AT least my type of beginner who knows nothing. The ones on line were a bit more scary to me. So I called the company and they don't have that one on line as it is an older video. They have all sorts of stuff including things where some of that you get a video now and they send you another every month or whatever. All that nonsense as far as I am concerned. But hurray they do have the video that I wanted. It sounded like the exact same one that my friend had. They called it a one shot as you don't get sent other videos automatically or are committed to anything else at all.. I'm fairly certain that it was exactly the one I wanted, the same one she had that started with the step by step then the 20 min video and then the approx hour one. They were for 39.95 or around that for all three. I am looking forward to getting it. I am not very limber so it will probably be very ugly at first if anyone happens to be walk in and catch me doing it in front of the tv. I'm excited to try it though.
ayasmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
The Gunnar Peterson Core secrets workout is great!! I feel it all over..arms, legs, butt and abs..I also have the Winsor Pilates and that I feel is more geered towards the ab area, I love doing that video as well becuase I feel really relaxed after I do it..
deacon
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:06 am      Reply with quote
If you work out in a health club, I am probably "preaching to the choir" BUT the best thing you can do is take recommendations from the weight bearing options as well as the cardio. I assume most people know by now that you need to alternate BOTH types of workouts. That said, I am surprised by the number of people I still talk to (who are as big a "gym rat" as I am)that still believe weight training will make them "look like a man."

I too, am committed to going to the gym, if I am working out with others, I tend not to be as lazy.....

It's been about 5 years since I worked out at home but a few months after my son was born I bought 3 Billy Blanks videos. I imagine his workout isn't en vogue these days, but I dropped baby weight pretty fast and began my obsession with BIG MUSCLES.

I weigh at least 10lbs more than I did "pre baby" BUT for the first time in my life I am rock solid. Add weight training!!!!! Can't endorse it enough!

Melissa
marella
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
Kpka I know this isn't what you are looking for, but deacon's post made me think to throw it in for the heck of it. And trust me, I am not a workout gal. Never have, never wanted to and still really don't on some level even with how much better I feel with more energy and not feeling as stressed.

I have been working with a weight trainer twice a week for 30 minutes going immediately from one thing to the other since before Thanksgiving. Give the legs a rest by doing the arms etc., trying to keep the heart rate up. I've missed a few here and there the flu, sheer laziness a few times Rolling Eyes., but I have felt amazingly better. I did an initial 8 times and then bought a package of 25. Cheaper when the specials run and you buy more. Possibly the best money I have ever spent. The cardio and I are a bit more hit and miss, but I am trying. Once I am more productive there, I think that I will start to see the weight loss more. Funny thing is that I haven't lost much weight at all because I do need that cardio, but I have lost inches and inches on my body. Five inches in my waist alone and that was quite a while ago. I'm sure it is more now as I had to buy a few new clothes just to keep mine from falling off. But the inches are everywhere. When my trainer measures she does thighs, calfs, arms and all the usual places.

The thing is that I have tried the gym thing before with less success and a trainer also. I have since realized that yes, I probably wasn't as committed as this time, but I have also realized that I had some really bad trainers. People who were going through the motions. The RIGHT trainer makes a big difference. And how you do it. I see now that the 30 minute training session is perfect for me. Can be hard at the time, but about the time you start to think about that, it is over. And I don't really dread the 30 minutes. I know myself well enough to know that if I had done the hour workout, I still would not be sticking with it. That is too hard, too long, and I would hate it completely. At least at this stage. It is funny. My mother in law was here a few weeks ago and was amazed at my progress and went home to look at trainers. She went to the YMCA and they priced training sessions of AN HOUR AND A HALF! Even if you consider that they may be putting the cardio in with that time, is is way too long. Do they want to kill the woman? Needless to say, she didn't do it and is back on one of her fad diets.

Which is the last thing. I would probably lose more weight also if I was dieting, which I'm not. I am trying not to go crazy and kind of just eat prettily normally at this point. Not putting too many constraints on myself so that I feel like I am suffering. Razz I am not worrying about that at all. Still feel so much better and have more energy, losing the inches. Just trying to keep showing up for myself for a change.
kpka
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
I have 6 Windsor Pilates videos.
Abs Sculpting
20 min workout
Advanced Body Slimming
Accelerated Body sculpting
Buns and Thigh Scylpting
Upper Body sculpting
I do Buns and Thigh sculpting but I add ankle weights because otherwise I do not feel a thing. Accelerated Body Sculpting is another one I like (it is 50 min), but I think it is more geared towards abs. Upper Body Workout is useless. The thing with Winsor pilates is that I get so tired doing it and at the end I don't see any results Sad
I searched on Amazon and found that a lot of people liked Billy Blanks back in 2000 so I ordered two of his videos.
Freefall, I wish I could play tennis, but it is so cold outside I don't even want to get out of my house. After I play tennis I feel my butt and my legs like nothing else. It's great to work out outside and have fun at the same time.

Thank you all for suggestions
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have lots of excess energy and swim and run to burn it off, lest I end up an axe murderer....

But, as far as video tapes are concerned, I'm a HUGE Pilates devotee and have been for a long time. I used to have awful lower back problems that would keep me from running for weeks at a time. Pilates put an end to all of that.

There are alot of Pilates tapes out there but I really like the Windsor Pilates series. There are also a new series of Power Pilates tapes out that are also excellent.
kpka
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
Marella,
I am apretty sure that working with a personal trainer will make very fast and noticable results. I do not have a personal trainer, but I go to aerobic and weight lifting classess 3x a week and I do see the results. My problem is that on days when I miss a class or the weather is bad I would like to do something at home that produces same results as going to the gym. So far I have not found anything Sad
marella
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Ah. Sorry by the time I made that second post, I had forgotten about the group workouts etc. Of course I remembered the small sentence on not liking to workout, because it applies to me. Rolling Eyes But yours was in completely different context of course. I went back and reread it after your post. Sorry again.

I live where this is pretty much no cold weather which is probably why I forgot about it. About nine months or so of horrible mind-sucking heat and a small time some of jacket weather that then jumps to the 70 to 80s for a short time and then back to the mind-sucking heat. I have the opposite problem. I was enjoying a lot of walking recently, but we are already at 90 degrees so that is pretty much over. I have to find things to do inside now which is why I ordered the Windsor Pilates I mentioned that a friend was doing. I just got it so I'll see how it is for me.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Ninety degrees in March ?????? Nine months of warm weather?????????

Geeeez - where the hell do you live? I wanna move there (provided its in the USA Smile )..........
marella
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
katee Welcome to Arizona. Cool
ella_stella
5% products discount

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
don't know if you're into pilates but winsor pilates is really good. you get 3 videos the first to start you off the second is a twenty minute work out when you've mastered the first one and the third is an extension of the second for when you need something a bit more intense. It comes with diet plans and everything. I hear its' quite expensive in the shops but i got mine really cheap on ebay.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Definitely Winsor Pilates! I credit Callanetics tummy work and Winsor Pilates 20-minute DVD for the abdominals for my stomach. It's so no-nonsense and incredibly effective.
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
I heard many goods things about Kathy Smith's "Lift Weights to Lose Weight, Volumes 1 and 2." I just received them and will let you know how they are.

5% products discount

Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:27 am      Reply with quote
I had a full set of Winsor Pilates for about a year now.....
it looks good, however only opened 2 of my 8 dvds so far....sigh....such a lazy bum....
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |