Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sunscreen recommendation please
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
christine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Hi Hi Very Happy

I'm looking for new sunscreen that has high SPF (at least higher than 20).
I've combination skin with breakouts.

Can you please give me an idea of a good sunscreen that you are using?

Also another question , what is the difference btw SPF and PA+.

Thanks a lot ladies Very Happy Very Happy
-rusalka-
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:42 am      Reply with quote
I have combo/oily skin (although fortunately currently clear) and I'm using the Anna-Lisa facial sunscreen and moisturizer that's spf 30+. It's medium in texture (not thick or runny), leaves the skin really moisturized, doesn't break me out, and I have a nice non-greasy glow with it. It also has aloe, calendula, chammomile, etc. in it. In colder weather I sometimes like to put their morning moisturizer over it (the one for oily/normal/sensitive skin) because it feels really nice and also has an additional mattifying effect. Without it, I still only have to blot my skin once a day.

Another one I really like is the Obagi spf 35 facial moisturizer. It's just purely a facial moisturizer/sunscreen (not part of the harsher obagi regimen!) and it's very light and nice. Not heavy or greasy at all!

I like to alternate between the two, although Anna-Lisa is my sunscreen of choice right now. They're very nice about sending out samples if you want to try them, and their products last forever. The Obagi spf 35 you can order of Amazon or other sites (EDS doesn't carry that or the Obagi C-Effectives) if you don't have a place by you that carries that line.

Hope this helps at all!!! Smile Good sunscreen/moisturizer is hard to find!! Neutral Good luck!! I imagine you'll also get suggestions for Shiseido and DDF!
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
For me, Coppertone Faces-Oil Free spf 30 is stable and nongreasy. The other popular ones that offer good stable protection:

Shiseido spf 55
Bioderma Lait spf 30/PPD 20
Anthelios Extreme XL spf 60?

I think CVS drugstores carry Avene brand which is also stable.
christine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much betterat40 and -rusalka- .
I'll check those out.

I know it's so hard to find a good suncreen .. i'm using Sisley right now and i think it makes my skin feel so oily and it's also so WHITE!!! I guess that's why my mom gave it to me. Laughing
queenkatez
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Christine,
I currently use Skinceuticals SPF 20 and Ultimate SPF 30.
I also have combination skin and these products work fine. They both contain microfine zinc oxide so there is NO white residue.
Hope this helps.

Katie
indianT
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
I love Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock spf 30 Very Happy . Trust me, it is ultra-light, fast-absorbing, and clean feel.

They also have spf 45 in Ultra Sheer.
christine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks!!!! queenkatz and indianT
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
I use shiseido's ultra smooth spf 33 lotion. It is really awesome

Liz
Mabsy

Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:53 am      Reply with quote
I've got combination skin but very infrequent breakouts. I really like the Skiceuticals Ultimate sunblock and that's a SPF30+. Shiseido Anessa is also good and I think that one is over SPF40.

As far as I know, the number in the SPF relates to how long the protection will last (e.g. 30 times longer than it would take you to start to redden/burn) which relates to UVB protection only. The PA refers to the level of protection from UVA rays:

PA+ - effective
PA++ - very effective
PA+++ - extremely effective
christine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Mabsy and abejita

Mabsy , about PA, do you think PA+ is enough or it's best to use the one with PA+++ because there are not many products i've know so far that have PA+++.

Another question, some sunscreen only says SPF 30 but doesnt say PA but it says it protects the skin from UVA and UVB......
hmm so.. should i assume that it has PA??
Mabsy

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:09 am      Reply with quote
christine - I'm not so sure that PA is actually commonly used in many countries. It certainly is in Asia. In Australia you generally see SPF ratings only.

I think the decision as to what is enough will depend on how much time you actually spend in the sun. I tend to go for higher SPF when I know I will be spending time in the sun, whereas if it's just walking to the office from the car (and vice versa) then I'm happy with my SPF15.
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
I would definitely recommend La Roche Posay's Anthelios range. The main importance is that the UVA protection is photostable, and they give you the protection value (PPD). A PPD of at least 8 is recommended for daily wear.

UVA protection is very important because it is the one that causes photoaging.

Most other sunscreens I know does not offer UVA protection or stable UVA protection, and most do not give you protection values (although when the UVA agent is unstable it kind of defeats the purpose of giving you the protection value).
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
christine wrote:

Another question, some sunscreen only says SPF 30 but doesnt say PA but it says it protects the skin from UVA and UVB......
hmm so.. should i assume that it has PA??

No, you should NEVER assume UVA protection. If a sunscreen is not a physical one (zinc oxide or titanium dioxide), or it doesn't contain chemical UVA agents like Avobenzone (Parsol 1758), Mexoryl SX, Mexoryl XL, or Tinsorb, then there's definitely no UVA protection. So read the ingredients list. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |