Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
How do I make a DIY extract from an herb??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Tiptoedancer
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:51 am      Reply with quote
I would like to make a DIY dill extract. Can I use vodka to make the extract? Do I boil it? If so, how long? Can I use a paper coffee strainer to strain it? I'm clueless. Thanks!
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:05 am      Reply with quote
I used to make tinctures with 51% everclear and 49% distilled water. You'll have to google recommendations for how much plant material to use. (I think the standard is still 10:1, but I'm not sure.)No boiling. Use several layers of cheesecloth that you can disinfect with bleach between batches.

EDIT: If you want to make something else like a glycerol extract or whatever other fancy stuff they have these days, you'll definitely need to remember to add it to your heated phase.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Tiptoedancer wrote:
I would like to make a DIY dill extract. Can I use vodka to make the extract? Do I boil it? If so, how long? Can I use a paper coffee strainer to strain it? I'm clueless. Thanks!

Hi Tiptoedancer, I would really like to know if you've succeeded with the Dill extract and how have you done it if so. TIA.

Chlorophyll wrote:
I used to make tinctures with 51% everclear and 49% distilled water. You'll have to google recommendations for how much plant material to use. (I think the standard is still 10:1, but I'm not sure.)No boiling. Use several layers of cheesecloth that you can disinfect with bleach between batches.

Hi Chlorophyll,I've only used alcohol/vodka to distill, or infused herbs in oil, and then just strained the resulting liquid, so I think I'm totally new to what you describe. What is everclear? Does it refer to alcohol in a certain grade? What are cheesecloths for? To keep the herb in them or to separate it from the resulting liquid/extract once done or ...?? Sorry but English is not my first language and I haven't clear what the process is. TIA.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:14 am      Reply with quote
This is one method done in a lab but you may be able to adapt it according to what you have:

"Method of making hydroalcholic extract of Dill
In order to make the hydroalcholic extract of Dill, leaf and stem of Dill were coverted in to powder by a mechnical mill after being dried in temperature 25 in outdoor air and shadow and later was poured in to a one-liter Erlen. Then, the Ethilic alchol of 96º was added so that it can cover the powder surface. After 24h the solution was purified. To the remaining scum the alchol of %70 was added and after 12h it was smooth. The total smoothed solutions by vacuum distiller at a temperature of 50 and a rotation speed of 70 periods per minute were thickening up to primary content. The attained solution was poured in to a Petri Dish and later was dried in an autoclave and a temperature of under 50 (Ahmadi, 2008)."
http://ijappjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/638-641.doc.pdf

Its an interesting raw extract but I can never get past the "dill pickle" odor.

Or, BASF has a commercial extract that doesnt stink but you need to buy megaamounts from them.

http://www.basf.com/group/corporate/us/en/brand/LYS_LASTINE_V

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi fawnie and many thanks for the explanations, I doubt I'll be able to do this part though: "The total smoothed solutions by vacuum distiller at a temperature of 50 and a rotation speed of 70 periods per minute were thickening up to primary content. The attained solution was poured in to a Petri Dish and later was dried in an autoclave and a temperature of under 50 (Ahmadi, 2008)."
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:32 am      Reply with quote
You could adapt it Im sure according to what you have. It seems like it was airdried, then extracted with alcohol, then dried again.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:
Hi fawnie and many thanks for the explanations, I doubt I'll be able to do this part though: "The total smoothed solutions by vacuum distiller at a temperature of 50 and a rotation speed of 70 periods per minute were thickening up to primary content. The attained solution was poured in to a Petri Dish and later was dried in an autoclave and a temperature of under 50 (Ahmadi, 2008)."

ATester, I did make my dill extract. It might not be in the most scientific manner but here's what I did. I got some vodka and both fresh and dried dill and put it together in a small jar and put it in the fridge for six weeks. After the sixth week was up I strained the mixture through a tea strainer then again through a coffee filter. I put the extract on the stove in a small flat pan and kept it slightly simmering for a few minutes. I stirred the mixture constantly until it was less "watery". After that I put it into a dark vial which has a dropper. I put 6 drops into my DIY face cream.

So there!

I'll let 'cha know how it works out on my skin. By the way, it doesn't have an unpleasant smell at all. I was surprised.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Tiptoedancer, thanks. I hadn't thought about the heating it up part afterwards, veeery good point if it doesn't harm the actives. Crossing fingers it works out good for you! Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |