Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
What antioxidant can I add to a lotion?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
SkyIsRed
5% products discount

Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:08 am      Reply with quote
I'm using eltaMD spf lotion for daily wear outside. It has nice texture and good ingredients for sun protection, but nothing else useful. What antioxidant and may be some other good things can I add to it? The pH is around 6. Thanks!

Ingredients: Active: 7.5% Octinoxate, 7.0% Zinc oxide, Inactive: Purified Water, Petrolatum, Isopropyl Palmitate, Octyl Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Glucoside, Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polyether-1, Citric Acid, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Adding something to it will dilute the spf. I use an antioxidant serum UNDER sunscreen.

5% products discount

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
I figured If I added a tbs or two of something potent, it will not change the lotion that much. Plus there isn't really a need for spf 30 during Canadian winter anyway:) I have at hand some Ferulic Acid used for C-serum, do you think I can add it to the lotion without adding alcohol? I was also thinking about just brewing some strong green tea and adding it, but I can't think of a way to make it concentrated enough.
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds like your gonna do it regardless of the advice, but here's my 2 cents. Considering the fact that a quality sunscreen is the #1 ant-aging product one can use, why would you want to mess with that and likely lessen the protection? Like Fawnie said, an antioxidant serum such as CE Ferulic or others is best to use under the sunscreen. There are even oils with very high antioxidant content you can use. Urucum and Buriti are 2 high on the list which are seldom talked about. I would be more concerned with the fact that your sunscreen is rather low on the percentage of zinc (7%). I personally would use no less than 15%.
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/11/20/buriti-fruit-amazonian-beauty-secret/
SkyIsRed
5% products discount

Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
All the sunscreens with higher zinc percentage make me look very white:( I use a different lotion during summer though, and have a proper beach sunscreen, both with much more zinc. Thank you for the advice! These oils look very interesting!
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
There are options to lessen the whitening effect.
One is to use a sunscreen such as this that is tinted. http://www.amazon.com/Green-Screen-Organic-Sunscreen-Tinted/dp/B005F6ABK8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389835867&sr=8-2&keywords=green+screen+sunscreen

Has much high % zinc than most others also.

Another option is to mix some of this sunscreen into a white zinc sunscreen until you get the color you want.
SkyIsRed
5% products discount

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:22 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the link! I will look into this sunscreen:) I like that it contains some VOO for antioxidant.
I still want to finish the bottle of my elmaMD lotion before buying a new one though. I read that CoQ 10 and its artificial alternative are one of the most potent antioxidants available. If I add 0.1% (recommended dosage) of it to my lotion, how can it possibly decrease the value of sun protection? I'm not sure if CoQ is the best option though.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |