Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is weight lifting anti-aging?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:53 am      Reply with quote
I appreciate that weight lifting or strength training is important to maintaining a health body weight especially as we get older as well as helping us shape our bodies to look younger and more attractive but does it have any metabolic influance on aging such as the release of growth hormone etc that would actually effect the appearance of aging else where in the body and of course inside the body where I guess it really matter, if I put my vanity aside for a minute!

I am pretty much convinced of weight lifting as a good thing especially seeing the befores and afters of out of shape women doing lifting for even a few months they get such great results, reshape their bodies in a very feminine way without looking bulky, they seem to universally end up looking younger so it appears that it does have a positive effect.

I would like to know really if weight lifting / strength training causes more general body rejuvination such as improved facial aging appearance, reduction of fine lines and so on?
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Some mild woudnt be bad.
Bad it puts much strain on the ,and after time when the spine is not flexible,its a sign of aging.Flexible spine is youthfull spine.

So make sure to balance weight lifting with yoga or other stretching stuff.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:04 am      Reply with quote
Yes yoga will be part of my programme, I love it!
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:08 am      Reply with quote
Well I think that's where people like Deb Crowley come in as her program is a bit like weight lifting for the face and she was a professional bodybuilder too.

Will doing resistance exercises for the body improve the face - to some extent it may be able to but I'm not so convinced that alone it will do much.

pandora77 wrote:
I appreciate that weight lifting or strength training is important to maintaining a health body weight especially as we get older as well as helping us shape our bodies to look younger and more attractive but does it have any metabolic influance on aging such as the release of growth hormone etc that would actually effect the appearance of aging else where in the body and of course inside the body where I guess it really matter, if I put my vanity aside for a minute!

I am pretty much convinced of weight lifting as a good thing especially seeing the befores and afters of out of shape women doing lifting for even a few months they get such great results, reshape their bodies in a very feminine way without looking bulky, they seem to universally end up looking younger so it appears that it does have a positive effect.

I would like to know really if weight lifting / strength training causes more general body rejuvination such as improved facial aging appearance, reduction of fine lines and so on?
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
Exercise in general is anti-aging, as in it keeps your whole body from deteriorating fast.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/04/bone-exercise-strengthen-bones_n_4344168.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/31/anti-aging-exercises_n_3678467.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/oz-garcia/exercise-aging-_b_832231.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jill-s-brown/is-aerobic-exercise-the-a_b_828494.html

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/27/phys-ed-how-exercising-keeps-your-cells-young/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/features/atherosclerosis-your-arteries-age-by-age?page=2
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for those links Nonie, I have been very inactive over the past few years due to some health issues and things are a bit better now. I can really see how being so sedentary is having a negative impact on my health all round so this is a great incentive to get back into it.

I am interested in Flex Effect. I need to have a snoop around the forum and check out the latest version!
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
pandora77 check out the Walk Away The Pounds series. It's an easy walking workout that you can do at home (especially during cold winters when the outdoors are not inviting) and a nice way to ease back into exercising or just make it one of your workouts. You can walk as much as 5 miles just marching on the spot or taking a few steps within your living room.

This is a short intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVjwkaLGDk

But if you do a search for Walk Away the Pounds on Youtube, you can see 40-something minute-long workouts from the series....

If you order the DVD, you can decide how many miles you want to walk so that you get the program that concludes after your complete your miles.
SweetishBlonde
5% products discount

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
I am relatively new on this forum , but thought I would chime in here on a subject I know a bit about. I believe, based on my personal experience that weight training is anti-aging and the best way to attain and maintain a healthy weight because of the muscle you build.

In June 2012 I was staring down the barrel of the big 6-0. I needed to lose 40 lbs. As it happened some of my friends planned a cruise for my birthday in March 2013. One of the friends and I made a bet to lose " 40 lbs in 40 weeks." After a lot of reading, I went low carb on my diet and began to do weights. 40 weeks later I boarded that ship 40 lbs lighter. I have maintained this for almost a year.

One of the huge benefits besides being able to get back into the size I wore when I met my husband was that my face looked younger - more glowy to the extent that people commented on it. I am sure cleaning up my diet was a factor , but I think the workouts were huge too.

I started with a personal trainer 3x a week which was rather expensive but I'd been a runner in the past and knew nothing of weights. For the past year I have been working out in my basement home gym.

A book that is really good to get started if you do not want to do the $60something an hour personal training ( yeah, I know but it was worth it) is DK's Strength Training -The Complete Step by Step Guide to a Stronger, Sculpted Body.
I know this was a long post , but I have been getting good advice on EDS and wanted to help where I can.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
Is weight lifting anti-aging? Just research Jack Lalane. Fitness is king. Nutrition is queen. Thanks Nonie for all the links.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you very much for all the replies and advice. Yes I think walking is best for me at the moment and I bought one of those 10 minute solution for strength training for beginners. I will only hurt myself and get put off if I do too much right away (done that before!) but I will update my plan as I lose weight to keep myself challenged.

Thank you all again!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |