Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

occipitalis muscle natural face lift
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
I need to gain control of the occipitalis muscles( contract to pull ears back) to naturally lift my whole face, and need tips on how to pull the whole upper face up and back, to get nice open eyes and high brows. My experience so far is I can hear my ears make a *popping* sound as if your on a plane. I'm still trying to concentrate on that muscle and need help.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
tasha92337 wrote:
I need to gain control of the occipitalis muscles( contract to pull ears back) to naturally lift my whole face, and need tips on how to pull the whole upper face up and back, to get nice open eyes and high brows. My experience so far is I can hear my ears make a *popping* sound as if your on a plane. I'm still trying to concentrate on that muscle and need help.

Tom (www.shapeyourface.com) can probably tell you if the popping you hear is part of the process since that is an exercise he has done for years and is Exercise 5 in his program. Getting control of the occipitalis muscles is a problem many people face and so his forum and archives have had discussions on it with people sharing tips to help each other. This is the link to the current forum where you can see some discussions on the exercise:

http://www.shapeyourface.com/syfbb/viewforum.php?f=5

And this link is to the former forum in the archives which has more tips:

http://www.shapeyourface.com/forum/messages/2/2.html?1289166403
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot to mention that the exercise is also referred to as the Scalp Exercise so threads with that heading or "Exercise 5" as the heading will be the relevant ones on Tom's forums. They are easy to find by just scrolling down the index. Don't forget to check the next pages of the index on either forum for more threads.

Tom also has a forum addressing hair loss and I remember more tips being shared there. These are the threads on the current hairloss-reversible forum:

http://www.hairloss-reversible.com/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=98865d6ab5ce49a8b77aaf2e972a0951

And these are the threads from the Archives in the hairloss-reversible website on the scalp exercise:

http://www.hairloss-reversible.com/discus/messages/49/49.html?1291702465

Unlike the face exercise website, the hair loss website threads are many and many may not offer tips about doing the exercise but may just be comments on people's experience with the exercise...so it may be trickier to find tips and you do have to be more discriminating in your search.
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks. I will do a search on his forum and google 'exercise 5"

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
tasha92337 wrote:
Thanks. I will do a search on his forum and google 'exercise 5"

You won't have to Google that. It's right here on the site:

http://www.shapeyourface.com/exercise_five.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:55 am      Reply with quote
So I found an interesting way to possibly feel improvement is to imagine my eyebrows pulling apart. Now both of my ears make a pop sound and I feel more of a movement a littlw bit. It takes lots of concentration to just even do that. I feel I am closer to my goal of actually moving my ears. *patience* I'm really working on contracting all my muscles section-by section including edge of face and doing the carolyn massage after doing flexeffect to add fullness to my cheeks

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
hmm..interesting thing today ive read an article of building body muscle and described "squeezing" the muscles while lifting...long story short...it should be similiar to facial muscles..if you want volume to also "squeeze" the muscles while doing the facial exercises...just a thought ..something ill continue to practice to do

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
tasha92337 wrote:
hmm..interesting thing today ive read an article of building body muscle and described "squeezing" the muscles while lifting...long story short...it should be similiar to facial muscles..if you want volume to also "squeeze" the muscles while doing the facial exercises...just a thought ..something ill continue to practice to do

tasha92337 Can you link to the article so we can understand the squeeze you are talking about? Do you mean flexing a muscles as you work it?

Personally I would not apply something I read elsewhere to a program I am doing without first making sure it is OK from the program designer. I would especially not assume the way you work the body would be OK to work the face. The relationship between muscles and skin is very different and you don't want to risk doing something that may have no effect on the skin elsewhere to your face where your skin is directly affected without knowing if it is OK.

Incidentally, I don't even think the squeezing applied to some exercises can give results you want. For instance, some people who do squats feel it necessary to squeeze the glutes as you do the exercise. I don't. In fact, methinks that will give you a narrow booty which I would hate on myself. I prefer that sort of shape on guys. When I do squats--mini-squats to be exact coz I am not trying to bulk up my thighs--I do not squeeze my butt. I do not have to. My glutes get engaged on their own and the result is a lift and an apple bottom. Nice and round just as I like it.

I also will not squeeze my abs when doing ab workouts because I don't want to keep my hourglass shape. Flexing abs IMO is one way to ensure a wide waist.

So yeah...not everything you see applied elsewhere will necessarily work well or give results you want. So don't guess; ask the pros behind the programs you do to make sure.
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
I need to find the article again. I was just browsing the web at that time. I do remember reading carole massage which also she said to contract muscles while massaging. I also remember honeybee had mentioned how its important to contract and thicken the muscles as hard as possible during facial exercises. And to contract occipitalis muscles if you want to naturally lift your whole face. Its challenging. I'm still in the beginnign stages of just learning how to *wake* my muscles up first to gain control.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
tasha92337 wrote:
I need to find the article again. I was just browsing the web at that time. I do remember reading carole massage which also she said to contract muscles while massaging. I also remember honeybee had mentioned how its important to contract and thicken the muscles as hard as possible during facial exercises. And to contract occipitalis muscles if you want to naturally lift your whole face. Its challenging. I'm still in the beginnign stages of just learning how to *wake* my muscles up first to gain control.

Do you mean Carolyn Cleaves' massage or Carole Maggio? I know the names have the same prefix so they can be confusing.

It is true that some programs do ask you to contract muscles (eg Honeybee) but I do not recall ever having to do that with Eva's program and the results she has got from not doing that and that I got from her program speak for themselves.

So just like I said that what works for one may not work for another, depending on the results your are trying to achieve when it comes to body exercise, the same applies to facial exercises. You cannot assume that what one program suggests is OK to do within another. I personally would not do it, but to each her own.

To show you just how tricky face exercise can be, in the rubbing out the wrinkles technique, you would think that because de-tacking skin is the goal that there should be no harm when doing the Face Firmer in massaging the nasolabial folds. But Carolyn very clearly says not to. She must have her reasons for this and while I couldn't begin to tell you the logic in that, I know better than to question her direction. Whenever I have tried to be clever and adjust her program to suit me, I've had to come back and eat humble pie and admit she knows what the heck she's talking about. So yeah, IMO, assumptions without really knowing for sure can spell out disaster.

But hey, you may be braver than I, and might learn something new so if it feels right, I say go ahead..
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a newbie with all of this and still learning. I like to research and see how you can take one thing and add a twist if necessary. I'm sticking to flex effect exercises, eating more hydrating foods, protein, healthy fats, using my vaculifter and massage by carole maggio I believe. But far as contracting muscles etc is if you want a natural face lift to help open your upper face which is part of my goal. True as a newbie you would like to take more risks, but I'm also willing to grow and lear,. I'm also researching sites from flexeffect, here and a few others.I understand I need to patient and be consistent Smile
I admire your passion in facial exersises and understand that you mean well

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
http://popthem.blogspot.com/2012/05/natures-totally-natural-facelift.html?m=1[url]

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Tasha and Nonie - thank you.

I am also trying to learn and the visualization helps a bit.

Thanks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
Day 3
I'm also visual the photo in my head with my eyes close and tell myself to pull back and tighten. I do feel my muscles contracting around the temples, occiputal muscle, and forehead. i spend 2 mintues holding it. now when i get in the mirror to see if my ears move, i lose train of concentration..lol. so hopefully i can get to that place to *actually* my ears move..so far i can feel them twitch and move slightly.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:20 am      Reply with quote
Tasha that's great, and you know what its a sign of what you doing working and it just might take time to create complete movement. Tom Haggerty says not all women can do that movement. I have tried for years - several and can't move my ears no matter what I do.

I know its been mentioned already re the Face Firmer exercise and not massaging the nasolabial folds. I do remember Carolyn saying not to, and did email but never got a response that made any sense as to why not to massage them but I guess she has her reasons whatever they may be but the response I got didn't make any logical sense to me.

Its interesting as the Detox method has you rubbing the areas and that has helped a friend really start to remove the NL folds she has - and she is younger than me - 57 years I think, and they are less deep than prior to when she started and I'm sure its that method working for her so I truly believe things are possible with the face we don't realise yet.
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Tasha that's great, and you know what its a sign of what you doing working and it just might take time to create complete movement. Tom Haggerty says not all women can do that movement. I have tried for years - several and can't move my ears no matter what I do.

I know its been mentioned already re the Face Firmer exercise and not massaging the nasolabial folds. I do remember Carolyn saying not to, and did email but never got a response that made any sense as to why not to massage them but I guess she has her reasons whatever they may be but the response I got didn't make any logical sense to me.

Its interesting as the Detox method has you rubbing the areas and that has helped a friend really start to remove the NL folds she has - and she is younger than me - 57 years I think, and they are less deep than prior to when she started and I'm sure its that method working for her so I truly believe things are possible with the face we don't realise yet.

Theresa. I haven't *seen* my ears move back but when I contract my muscles, (circular lift, pull back, down movement) I can feel the top hairline tighten. I never heard of not massaging the naso area, and ill look into it. I've heard of the detox massage, where u tighten muscles and massage upward motion but without sliding. I need to find the article on here.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:02 am      Reply with quote
It has been some time since I read Tom’s site but I’m pretty sure he says if you contract the muscle your ears should move, and he stated at that time that 1 in 3 women could do it and that some couldn’t. I tend to fall into the later category.

With the detox massage – you might be getting confused as the program doesn’t ask you to contract or tighten muscles, simply massage them from side to side. It’s a great and fast program, and I do a variety of different programs but I have done them for some ten years plus. There is a whole thread devoted to detox massage that you can find if you search.

tasha92337 wrote:
Theresa. I haven't *seen* my ears move back but when I contract my muscles, (circular lift, pull back, down movement) I can feel the top hairline tighten. I never heard of not massaging the naso area, and ill look into it. I've heard of the detox massage, where u tighten muscles and massage upward motion but without sliding. I need to find the article on here.
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:36 am      Reply with quote
My ears *move* , but far as the ears doing a *push back* movement, I have yet to see. I saw the detox massage article with your posts so I believe.what I need to know is which is better ? Vaculifter or massage? I read some articles rave one more than the other. My goal is plumping my face so I've read to do facial exercises and finish with a massage.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:30 am      Reply with quote
The detox method I’m talking about isn’t an article but a series of videos so there is some differences here. Its probably not the same about what I’m talking about but if you search you can find a thread with some of the free videos he did.

I don’t think there is a “one” better for every single person, some will benefit from vaculifter and some from massage. That’s why there are many different articles about it. Likewise some programs incorporate massage movements into their exercises like Carolyn’s Facial Fitness. Depends on your goals etc and what issues you have.
tasha92337 wrote:
My ears *move* , but far as the ears doing a *push back* movement, I have yet to see. I saw the detox massage article with your posts so I believe.what I need to know is which is better ? Vaculifter or massage? I read some articles rave one more than the other. My goal is plumping my face so I've read to do facial exercises and finish with a massage.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:18 am      Reply with quote
here is link to original thread about detox massage: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=48004&highlight=detox
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Theresa-

Yes, it was a different facial detox massage than the link you posted.
I was talking about this link http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6517218&highlight=facial+detox+massage#6517218

I wonder if the same effect with contracting your muscles is similar to to a microcurrent effect. microcurrent lift contracts muscles and wakes up muscles with a tingling effect. which is the same when i contract my muscles on my own. anyone? In this article called " Electric Facials - How Effective Are Electric Facials" http://www.elle.com/beauty/makeup-skin-care/botoxs-new-best-friend-609016 , it stated "If you lift from the cheekbones toward the hairline, it will make your eyes more almond shaped," says makeup artist Kristin Hilton,"You can even create an arch in the eyebrows." Hilton keeps NuFACE in her makeup kit so she can "sculpt and lift"

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:42 am      Reply with quote
Whilst its a different link its the same method as that's the model who does the videos for the link I posted above.

I don't think (but don't know for sure) that microcurrent can be compared to the massage because they do different things. I did once own a Tua Viso but never used it because it was awkward placing it on the different parts and I felt it in some places and not in others despite speaking with their customer services team whose advice was to just keep doing it. I also was a little bit cross with having to purchase another dvd (when I considered that it should be part of the kit) and never did and kind of gave up on it after that. Like most people she's gone on now to design her own skincare range (she's got a Vit C cream/serum, suncream etc) and I've noticed a lot of facial exercise program designers have done this - Carole Maggio, Cynthia Rowland, Carolyn Cleaves, even Deb Crowley has some products.

I know some swear the electric stuff works, and I did have a CACI Facial once but hated it, didn't like the sensation around my teeth at all. But suppose its like most things, it works if you do it.
tasha92337 wrote:
Theresa-

Yes, it was a different facial detox massage than the link you posted.
I was talking about this link http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6517218&highlight=facial+detox+massage#6517218

I wonder if the same effect with contracting your muscles is similar to to a microcurrent effect. microcurrent lift contracts muscles and wakes up muscles with a tingling effect. which is the same when i contract my muscles on my own. anyone? In this article called " Electric Facials - How Effective Are Electric Facials" http://www.elle.com/beauty/makeup-skin-care/botoxs-new-best-friend-609016 , it stated "If you lift from the cheekbones toward the hairline, it will make your eyes more almond shaped," says makeup artist Kristin Hilton,"You can even create an arch in the eyebrows." Hilton keeps NuFACE in her makeup kit so she can "sculpt and lift"
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:01 am      Reply with quote
Interesting. Yes, I also own a Tua Viso and I remember using it and it moving the flesh muscles in different directions. I stopped using it myself too and like you others on here rave about it. Maybe I didn't give it long enough chance?
I also remember going to get a facial with microcurrent electric and this device was like a stick this: and she would go section by section on my face and it created small shock vibrations like my face is doing now. She said its suppose to tighten face with additon on accupressure exercisises after for 12 full treatments.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:40 am      Reply with quote
Make sense. Gelatin makes collagen and collagen "plumps" your skin. So to those who want to plump skin or fuller lips,thanks to one post on here "vital foods" to intake are:
*chia seeds make chia seed pudding
*marshmallow tea
*spirlina

Chia seeds packed with vitamin, minerals , omega 3, and is a *hydrating* food as well as packed with *gelati*n soaked

Marshmallows tea . Also packed with *gelati*n

Spirlina is packed with vitamins, minerals, protein, etc

If your goal is to add "fullness" to your face, in addition to protein intake, gelatin foods its also important as well as *hydrate* your body with foods tomato, kiwi, etc in addition to facial exercises. That's why I'm looking forward to adding chia seeds to my diet is a MUST because it has all 3 must-haves. Smile Once again thanks to a post on here and my continuious research online. Just wanted to share this information with you all

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:02 am      Reply with quote
Nonie aka AD wrote:
"I also will not squeeze my abs when doing ab workouts because I don't want to keep my hourglass shape. Flexing abs IMO is one way to ensure a wide waist.

Huh?? You don't want an hour glass figure? Please explain...!!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |