Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Does patting and slapping face cause new collagen to from?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I saw a video by Dr. Obagi and read articles by a few derms who recommended patting and slapping skin to cause minor injury and new collagen to form. Have also read that the smoother and plumper skin from slapping is just inflammation, which is ultimately aging and damaging to the skin.

I've been slapping my face skin for a month and it is noticeably tighter and plumper.

Does anyone have any scientific input on if this method is helpful or hurtful?

Thanks!

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
I can't imagine giving your face some pats is enough to stimulate collagen production.

I am inclined to believe that creating friction (as in the skindetox massage) or the pinching motions we've seen in some facial exercise vids and you tube vids are more likely to stimulate fibroblasts than slapping.
I don't have studies to share, but visually I have noticed positive change in the person who designed the skin detox movements and others who have extensively used the more aggressive movements in facial exercise (like pinching and some facial pressure.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:40 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I can't imagine giving your face some pats is enough to stimulate collagen production.

I am inclined to believe that creating friction (as in the skindetox massage) or the pinching motions we've seen in some facial exercise vids and you tube vids are more likely to stimulate fibroblasts than slapping.
I don't have studies to share, but visually I have noticed positive change in the person who designed the skin detox movements and others who have extensively used the more aggressive movements in facial exercise (like pinching and some facial pressure.

Thanks sister sweets. Do you think slapping is harmful at all - that is what I am mostly worried about. I do enjoy the added blood circulation and think that must be beneficial. Just don't want to be causing any damage.

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You can try the slap bath.
After you finish a cold shower you try to slap your whole body and face till dry.No towel.
It brings the blood to the surface.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
I know that Deb Crowley, founder of he FlexEffect facial resistance training program, recommends tapping the face to improve circulation and destress the area after exercise. I believe her inspiration was the slapping of the forearm that is done in martial arts, which she found to be very effective at toning the muscles. HTH Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
I know that Deb Crowley, founder of he FlexEffect facial resistance training program, recommends tapping the face to improve circulation and destress the area after exercise. I believe her inspiration was the slapping of the forearm that is done in martial arts, which she found to be very effective at toning the muscles. HTH Smile

Thanks cm5597, that's interesting to know!

jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
I went to an amazing esthetician in the Twin Cities last year and she told me to lightly tap my face all over with my fingertips to "strengthen" the skin. I love it and do it daily.

I think bringing circulation to the skin brings nutrients (so eating well helps with this, of course) and the impact/challenge/pressure against the skin probably does stimulate and strengthen it.

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
jenp7 wrote:
I went to an amazing esthetician in the Twin Cities last year and she told me to lightly tap my face all over with my fingertips to "strengthen" the skin. I love it and do it daily.

I think bringing circulation to the skin brings nutrients (so eating well helps with this, of course) and the impact/challenge/pressure against the skin probably does stimulate and strengthen it.

How long do you slap your face? TIA

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/face-slapping-thai-beauty-treatment-fix-wrinkles-article-1.1191100

Razz Laughing
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
Not too long-- usually under a minute; just long enough to "tap in" a product all over. BUT after reading that Thai massage article, I might get more serious!

On a side note, I also tap in a pattern that I think promotes lymphatic drainage--- up and out.

And I do a much harder, using top of my hand slap/tapping of my under chin area around my jaw bone--- that's just a little something I added extra, but I figure it cant hurt and might help with lymphatic drainage (seeing as the Japanese facials focus so much on this area)

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:00 am      Reply with quote
Thought I'd give an update on results from slapping my face, neck and hands. I've been slapping (more than tapping but not a Thai-face-slap) for three months now and my skin is plumper and more taut. I have pre-existing broken capillaries on one cheek and they haven't worsened.

I usually apply all my AM skincare and, before sunscreen, I rub my fingertips with a few drops of oil so there is no friction on the skin and then slap away. I slap my neck with the back of my hands so my hands and fingers get some treatment too.

I finish with some light massaging - pressing my knuckles under cheekbones towards ears and then down the side of the neck to reduce puffiness in the lower face.

Hope this helps someone!

System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |