Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Best preventative skincare regimen?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Theuprising

Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hey guys, I'm new here and am a guy so I'm not the most well versed in skin care. I'm 25 and started working on my body, and realized I was neglecting my most important aspect of my appearance, my face, which was starting to get fine lines from losing fat and a 3 or so years of smoking/drinking.

At first I was drawn to "working out your face" with facial exercises, but there are horror stories with every product out there, and it seems you need a trainer to personalize a regimen for your face, otherwise you would end up worse than you began, so to me it feels unnecessarily risky venture.

After some digging, I think the key are topically applied anti-oxidants, of Vitamin A/C backed up by Ferulic acid and Vitamin E. Hyaluronic acid is in a lot of serums but I don't think it prevents wrinkles, just makes you look nicer. I have dark skin but apparently I should be using a sunscreen as well.

I'm trying to find a serum out there with all these ingredients but the only things I found were quite expensive, like Paula's super antioxidant serum. I wonder if I could make all this stuff myself, but I should probably order something to see a baseline of how the product should be working.

And as a complete noob, thanks to anyone who offers help!
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried several products from Paula's Choice. Some work well for me.

I have this one:
http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-care-categories/antioxidants/_/RESIST-Super-Antioxidant-Concentrate-Serum/

It is very siliconey feel. I use it once in a while around my eyes and on my neck. Too heavy for my face. I will not re-order this serum.

I do like PC's exfoliate products. I also like her tinted moisturizer with spf 30. If you decide to try PC; order lots of samples.

I have only tried a couple of products from PSF. Available from EDS. I linked the manufacturer page so you could have more information. I really like the eye treatment. It does have a lot of good ingredients and the price is reasonable at under $50.00. I don't think you will find many well formulated products for treatment under $50.00.

http://www.psfskincare.com/3-in-1-eye-serum-0-33fl-oz/

This is very light weight and absorbs easily. Perfect for day under makeup. It does not moisture well and I add a plain moisturizer (or oil) in the under eye area. During the day, I use sunscreen.

It worked very well and I stopped using concealer for my blue inner eye circles. I emailed PSF and they advised that it can be used on the face. I am currently using also on my neck to see if I can some see results there. I will re-order this. I also previously used the Cranberry eye gel from PSF. This is thinner and I noticed more of a difference on the circles.

Are you using sunscreen?
Edit: I read your post again and I assume you are looking for a sunscreen.

IF you do place an order with PC; she does have sunscreen products. Get samples. Sunscreen is one item that it takes a while to find a good one. You may need to try a few until you find one that works. I really am a believer in preventative measures and sunscreen is number one.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:11 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply!

I wanted to find a good sunscreen/lotion at my grocery store but couldn't find anything, so I just got a separate sports sunscreen. Apparantly there's a CeraVe sunscreen/lotion, but its only SPF 30, but still it sounds great.

I don't think I can post links, but what do you guys think of Prodermis Retinol Serum, it seems to have everything I listed for 20 bucks. Also Watt's Beauty has 2 oz serums for 20 bucks but they say that they are a "gel", not sure if that's the same as the other serums.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
are you looking at this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Retinol-Serum-Guarantee-Noticeable-Difference/dp/B00EUST6V2

It sold by a supplier though Amazon.(Check their rating.)

No ingredients listed.

There is retinol products at the drug store. I personally prefer Avene retinalhyde. It has good results/reviews on Makeup Alley. A lot of knowledgeable people on Makeup Alley skin care board. I have been there over ten years.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Theuprising wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

I wanted to find a good sunscreen/lotion at my grocery store but couldn't find anything, so I just got a separate sports sunscreen. Apparantly there's a CeraVe sunscreen/lotion, but its only SPF 30, but still it sounds great.

I don't think I can post links, but what do you guys think of Prodermis Retinol Serum, it seems to have everything I listed for 20 bucks. Also Watt's Beauty has 2 oz serums for 20 bucks but they say that they are a "gel", not sure if that's the same as the other serums.

What sunscreen did you get? Is it photostable (ingredients will not break down in the sunlight)? I would look for good UVA ingredients. (UVA = aging.) The Spf 30 refers to UVB rating.

If you post the active ingredients we can adivse.

The CeraVe AM is not a bad sunscreen for the money.
(From the site)

SPF 30 - SPF 30 sunscreen provides broad-spectrum daily protection against sun's damaging UV-aging and UV-burning rays.
Ceramides - Helps reduce lipid levels in damaged skin to repair, restore, and maintain the skin's natural barrier. Essential in preventing water loss from the skin
Niacinamide - Helps the skin produce more natural ceramides and fatty acids essential for repairing and restoring the skin barrier. Also shown to reduce redness.
Hyaluronic Acid - An essential ingredient (humectant) that attracts water to the top layer of the skin and ensures that the skin remains hydrated.

http://www.cerave.com/our-products/moisturizers/facial-moisturizing-lotion-am?tab=ingredients

http://www.drugstore.com/cerave-facial-moisturizing-lotion-am/qxp281659

I have the CeraVe PM lotion and it works very well as a moisturizer for under $20.00. I also have the cleanser. Not a bad line from the drugstore and it is cheap. It is a line our derm suggests.

There is a lot of reviews for CeraVe products on Makeup Alley.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:58 am      Reply with quote
CeraVe uses a lot of good ingredients, unfortunately they also include a lot of bad ones in their moisturizer with spf:

Homosalate 12%, Octinoxate 7.5%, Octocrylene 2%, Zinc Oxide 3.5%. Purified Water, Niacinamide, Behentrimonium Methosulfate And Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin , Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-II, Ceramide I, Cholesterol, Hyaluronic Acid, Phytosphingosine, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Lauroyl, Lactylate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum.

Dimethicones are pore-cloggers for me and for many others. Parabens and carbomers serve the formula to extend it for shelf life but arent necessary for the skin. The spf ingredients they use (except for the measly amount of zinc) are often irritating to the skin when they break down in UVR.

It only rates 3.5 out of 5 on MUA.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
I use Paula's Choice products too. they're really great
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
CeraVe uses a lot of good ingredients, unfortunately they also include a lot of bad ones in their moisturizer with spf:

Homosalate 12%, Octinoxate 7.5%, Octocrylene 2%, Zinc Oxide 3.5%. Purified Water, Niacinamide, Behentrimonium Methosulfate And Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin , Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-II, Ceramide I, Cholesterol, Hyaluronic Acid, Phytosphingosine, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Lauroyl, Lactylate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum.

Dimethicones are pore-cloggers for me and for many others. Parabens and carbomers serve the formula to extend it for shelf life but arent necessary for the skin. The spf ingredients they use (except for the measly amount of zinc) are often irritating to the skin when they break down in UVR.

It only rates 3.5 out of 5 on MUA.

hmmmm too low in physical for me. only 3.5% zinc. Behentrimonium Methosulfate i read not a very good ingredient.. i like the hydrating cleanser though.. cheap and quite a big bottle.. does not dry out the skin though
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
I've used variations of this DIY version and it's terrific. No muss or fuss and the zinc oxide mixes in perfectly. (Not sure why other DIY'ers find it such a problem, but whatever..lol)

When you DIY, you can actually afford to apply it head to toe. I only use sunscreen occasionally, but hubby and grandkids use this DIY version everyday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSFwLghQwIU

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Benette08
5% products discount

Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:43 am      Reply with quote
Two things that you should not forget in your preventive skin care regimen are moisturizer and sunscreen. These two are very essential in maintaining your skin. Having a well hydrated skin may prevent you from having wrinkles. Sunblock is very important too, as this may protect you from the sun rays that may damage your skin.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |