Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coffee and your skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
WaveMaker

Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi. I have a question about coffee -- is it really that bad for your skin? How is it any worse than having caffinated tea or soda?
Also, if I want to have a cup (or two) in the morning, can I counter the dehydrating effects by just drinking more water??
Thanks!
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
I read in a magazine that one cup of coffee is equivalent to 2 or 3 (or maybe or was 3 or 4) cans of soda. I also read that while drinking water is healthy, it doesn't necessarily hydrate the skin. So maybe you should drink coffee and use a good moisteruzer. Sorry if that didnt really help:/
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
I've never heard of coffee being bad for your skin. I guess if you are drinking tons it would dehydrate you though. I had to give up caffiene because of a heart condition. Fortunately I usually only had one or two lattes a day and it wasn't hard to switch to decaf. I've never liked sodas. Giving up chocolate was really hard though Crying or Very sad . I'm going to have surgery - hopefully next month - and then I should be able to eat a bit of chocolate again. I don't think I'll go back to regular coffee though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
For me, the benefits outweigh the cons..I know that caffeine has a diuretic effect...which is fine by me since I retain oceans of water...and the stimulating effects keep me awake and employed!
Embarassed Pudoodles
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
Coffee couldn't POSSIBLY be bad for my skin. If I didn't drink coffee, I would surely DIE.

Now, have you ever seen a corpse with rosy cheeks???? Very Happy
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Pudoodles wrote:
For me, the benefits outweigh the cons..I know that caffeine has a diuretic effect...which is fine by me since I retain oceans of water...and the stimulating effects keep me awake and employed!
Embarassed Pudoodles

Hate to tell ya, but the diuretic effects of the coffee can be just what is making you retain fluid. When the body perceives dehydration, it holds on to every ounce of fluid it can get.

Best way to correct fluid retention is to properly hydrate the body with good, pure water.

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade and I love a morning cup of coffee as much as the next person, but truth is truth. Confused

JUDY

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I don't drink *that* much coffee...I've been plagued by water retention long before developing an affection for caffeine Very Happy It jolts me out of bed and gets me to work - so I love it for that...and I don't normally drink coffee past noon...and aren't there some health benefits? I thought I read something recently about that...wishful thinking, perhaps?
Pudoodles
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
Coffee, give me coffee now Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
...but seriously, I have read that most derm doctors (including mine) say food and drink have little to do with the condition of your skin. The only things that can effect your skin's condition are items you are allergic to and anything with iodine in it (shellfish, salt).
Now, back to my coffee...

P.S. I think water is overrated Wink joani
WaveMaker

Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
So I did a little research and, like most things, there's lots of conflicting stuff out there. But apparently it's not bad for your skin and some studies show that it may help prevent certain types of cancer and maybe even Parkinson's disease in women.

Yay! I can start my morning Starbuck's habit up again. Very Happy
Gypsy
5% products discount

Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
The 2x I drank coffee I felt very very bloated. But all I drink is water so maybe my system went into shock with all the cafine. LOL
maddy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
aren't there some skin products out there now that actually have coffee and caffiene in them? i am sure i have seen them. this is truth that coffee is best for skin! Very Happy
christine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
maddy, i think caffiene is now used in slimming products.. so it's not bad for the skin i think and actually keeps us away for cellulite!

I only need a cup of coffee in the morning to keep my eyes open in class... hope it's not gonna dehydrate my skin.
sophie9
5% products discount

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:30 am      Reply with quote
let's put it this way: i lived off of giant cups from 7-11 for a week during midterms last week, and it showed on my skin. yes, it could be stress as well, but the coffee definately contributed. coffee is a stimulant afterall.

any diaretic is going to deplete your body of some nutrients you put into it...and of course water. i lost 7 pounds in a week and a half from drinking so much of the stuff.

case in point: i ran and got a facial afterwards!

a cup or two a day won't hurt you. but coffee is also a stimulant, and can increase your stress levels, which we all know can show on your skin.
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:45 am      Reply with quote
I remember reading somewhere that if you have acne prone skin you should steer clear of caffeine. Something about it increasing stress hormones which will cause breakouts. Generally it is suggested that acne sufferers should keep away from any drinks containing stimulants.
Also, they do say that it should be 2 x glasses of water for every 1 x cup of coffee/tea to stop yourself from getting dehydrated. I don't drink much tea/coffee so it's not really an issue for me. It's the whole drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day that I struggle with.
sophie9
5% products discount

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:32 am      Reply with quote
acne when you are past adolescence is oftentimes caused by stress, and stimilants can contribute to stress. studies have shown that people with acne who take anti-depressants notice a descrease in acne outbreaks because of their anti-anxiety effects. i have problems with anxiety, so coffee is a no no for me. (only in an emergency)! my best friend has a starbucks beneith her apartment building and is always complaining about acne and her skin. coinsidence?
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
sophie9 wrote:
studies have shown that people with acne who take anti-depressants notice a descrease in acne outbreaks because of their anti-anxiety effects.

Well, we all know that too much of anything is not a good thing! I also know that some anti-depressants cause acne.

I also read that drinking 8 glasses of water dosn't really make you healther or your skin any better. I want to believe this because I hate water. Am I weird? Does anyone else hate drinking water?

I'm drinking coffee as I write this...

Joani
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
joani.sp wrote:
I also read that drinking 8 glasses of water dosn't really make you healther or your skin any better. I want to believe this because I hate water. Am I weird? Does anyone else hate drinking water?

Don't worry, you're not weird. I really hate water too. Really struggle to drink the stuff. I can only manage it if it's disguised in a cup of herbal/fruit tea or with fruit juice added. I've been trying to drink at least 1 litre of water per day for the past couple of months and I would have to say that my skin does look better for it. I was always dubious about whether water could make much of a difference to the appearance of your skin, but it does seem to (in my case).
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Toe
I was beginning to wonder because I seem to be the only gal around who does not carry around a water bottle. I do the fruit juice disguise too! I'm happy your skin looks better for your efforts. I have no willpower. Every time I vow to drink more water, I fail. I glad it's working for you! Joani
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
I can only drink water at room temperature. Otherwise, I get stomach cramps and can only sip it...Maybe if you tried it without ice, or not too cold, you could drink more? I'm not a water fan either but I down my 8 glasses a day. (And only one cup of coffee in the AM..but it IS quite large...Smile
WaveMaker

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
I've also read that the whole "8 glasses of water a day" thing is not really necessary. Apparently we have a built-in hydration monitor (thirst) that tells us when our bodies need water. The article also said that the average person gets enough water through eating and drinking regularly.
Having said all that, I still do carry a water bottle around. I figure it can't hurt.
Dianeth
5% products discount

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
*** edited***

SPAM
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
OK....Dianeth wins the totally obnoxious award for posting her crap on every single thread.

Shaking my head.....
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |