Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DIY Vit C on skin: messy sheets
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Needl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone else use Sarah Vaughter's recommendations for applying Vit-C mixed into hot water (5% solution) to the skin a few times a week? My problem is that I overnight get yellowish bedding and it looks horrible. I do wash bedding weekly, but don't want to have to do it every couple of days.

What do other people do about this?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Here's my thoughts FWIW Needl:

• LAA is so inherently unstable that something has to be used with it to stabilize it in a formula. Ferulic acid, vitamin E and other ingredients do this. Sometimes simple isnt the most effective.

• Are you using it directly before bedtime? Using it in the morning could work better but then this preparation would rub off onto your clothes. You arent the only one who has mentioned this problem.

• Are you washing this stuff off before bedtime?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Fawnie

I've been putting it on at bedtime for the entire night. I understood that Vit E is oily, but Vit C can't get through oil?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
With the help of emulsifiers and penetration enhancers a C serum with a bit of oil works. Skin likes oil and lecithin and takes a serum up more efficiently that way. This explains:

"Although Vit. C alone can provide photoprotection, it works best in conjunction with Vitamin E (Vit. E), which potentiates the action of Vit. C four-fold. Hydrophilic Vit. C helps regenerate Vit. E, a liphophilic antioxidant.[1,3,5,6] Thus, Vit. C and Vit. E together protect the hydrophilic and lipophilic compartments of the cell, respectively. Vit. C and Vit. E synergistically limit chronic UV damage by significantly reducing both cell apoptosis and thymine dimer formation.[3,6]

A combination of 0.5% ferulic acid (a potent antioxidant of plant origin) with 15% Vit. C and 1% Vit. E can increase the efficacy of Vit. C eight-fold.[3] It was noted that this triple combination was very useful for the reduction of acute and chronic photodamage, and could be used for prevention of skin cancer in the future.[3]"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3673383/

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Fawnie

In includes a useful list of lipophilic Vitamin C derivatives.
Needl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
Update:

I ended up writing to Owndoc about this problem, and the staff member replied that rinsing it off after half an hour would still allow absorption. This has solved the messy sheet problem. I do notice that any specks on the wall or fabric are yellow by the next morning (but it rinses off them easily), so this stuff clearly oxidizes quickly. (L-ascorbic acid and hot water mixture, as per Owndoc instructions).

I'm hoping that the half hour allows enough to penetrate, and rinsing the rest off the skin surface will prevent on-skin oxidization.
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:02 am      Reply with quote
I've been doing the same and haven't really had that problem and I'm doing 20%. The thing is that I wanted to see if simplest method worked before adding anything to the mix and the results, at least for me, have been fantastic. Much better than all the C serums I've bought.
I do a small enough amount to stay fresh and whether this is the right thing to do or not; I follow it with a few drops of Vit E. I thought this might break me out but not so far. It seems to sink right in.
I do it every other night and Retin A the other nights.
I'll probably expand the recipe to include Ferulic Acid and e but since the results are so apparent I'm not in that big a hurry. I will stay away from preservatives and continue to keep it fresh and continue the DIY. It's not that much trouble.
Needl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
Tigerlily, do you mean you rinse off after half an hour too? And what brand of Vit C do you buy? I just ordered a kilo and then found out that the pH of that product is supposedly 6.4 in water. The pig skin study says it must be 3.5 or less to penetrate: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11207686

Wondering what to do...
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Tigerlily, do you mean you rinse off after half an hour too? And what brand of Vit C do you buy? I just ordered a kilo and then found out that the pH of that product is supposedly 6.4 in water. The pig skin study says it must be 3.5 or less to penetrate: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11207686

Wondering what to do...

No, I leave it on all night.
And do you mean the C you got from Sarah was that high in water or another dealer?
I started with Sarah's and now have been using a dealer on Ebay with no problems..
I'm not sure how to lower PH when it's that high so maybe you might contact the dealer you got the C from..
Needl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm buying from an NZ trader, as it's cheaper this way for a big quantity. I've contacted her about this issue, and she says the undiluted powder is about pH 2.5-3.0 (so I guess for a serum without much water that should work) and she uses it for serum herself. Here is her simple recipe if anyone is interested: http://www.fittoblog.org/2012/08/diy-face-saver.html
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |