Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My favorite way to darken my eyebrows...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
cait2k3
5% products discount

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
hi everyone. i've seen a few posts about kits to color in your eyebrows, but i want to share with everyone the cheap and semipermanent way that i darken my naturally blonde eyebrows [i'm a redhead].

i used to go to an aveda salon and have them professionally dyed..but at $25 a pop every 2 weeks, i knew i had to come up with cheaper yet effective solution.

go to your local beauty store [sallys, pure beauty, etc] and purchase one bottle of "color charm activating lotion" and one box [it has a tube inside] of "color charm demi-permament hair color". when looking at the hair samples to choose your color, pick a color darker than what you would want. i found that when i picked the color i wanted based on the hair samples, it came out way too light on my eyebrows so i chose a color about two shades darker - i use "dark natural brown". i believe the total should be under $10.

once youre at home, mix a proportion of half activating lotion and half demi-permanent color [i use the cap of the activating lotion to mix up the concoction so i don't use too much and waste it]. put vaseline AROUND your eyebrows so that if the color gets outside of the eyebrows, it wont soak into your skin beause there will be that layer of vaseline [you don't have to do this, but it helps the first couple times]. i use a clean eyeshadow brush to paint the mixture onto my eyebrows [cake it on thickly so that it saturates all the browhairs]. i use q-tips to clean up the area around the brow incase some of the dye dripped. leave on for 15-30 minutes depending on how dark you want it [i leave it on for 30 minutes]. then wash it off with water [or eye makeup remover] and cotton balls. voila! your eyebrows may look a bit TOO dark right afterwards, and that is because the skin under the brows is temporarily dyed. this will fade off after the next couple face washes/showers.

if someone asked me what my favorite beauty secret is, this would definetly be it. the color lasts a while..i do it about every 3weeks. and it is just SO cheap. your activating lotion/color dye will last you a year!

if you have any questions, let me know. and if someone has already posted a message like this - then im sorry..im new! take care
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
What a great tip. I have almost invisible eyebrows and it has never bothered me before but recently I have been thinking I need to do something about them. I don't know if I can get that stuff you suggested though. So I am off to do a web search. Thanks

5% products discount

Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
lori, i'm sure you don't need to use the exact same stuff i use. just go to your local beauty store and ask them to direct you to the hair dye. look for a semipermanent color [ive never used permanent because i was recommended semipermanent but maybe it doesnt matter] and also get a bottle of 'activator' [its just the white creamy stuff you add to the dye]. you might find some hair color that is already mixed and doesnt need activator..but i believe if its premixed, it wont last long at all so i recommend buying them separate. good luck!
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
I must be pretty unique in that I dont pluck my eye brows, I dont wax, I dont colour. They are as mother nature intended them. SHOCKING... Laughing
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
I have never plucked either, no need.
I will have a look at semi perm hair colour and give it a try, cheers.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:30 am      Reply with quote
Cait -

I’m not surprised to hear that your Aveda-dyed eyebrows faded so quickly – they’re regular dye-jobs for the hair on your head fade in a heartbeat too! It’s because they use this sort of vegetable dye, so while it’s not damaging to your hair at all, the color fades *because* they don’t use harsh ingredients! I once coughed up $150 for a color job at an Aveda concept salon and though it was gorgeous the day I walked out of the salon, after just a week the color had faded completely and you couldn’t even tell that I’d had it done. If I’m going to shell out that kind of money, by God the color better last until my roots start to show!!!! Anyway, now I use the Wella Color Charm stuff from Sallys that you talked about to put down my ‘base’ color then I go to my stylist for my tri-colored highlights (she’s the one that told me about the Color Charm – it’s the same stuff she uses when she colors her own hair at home!!)....

FYI, demi-permanent hair dyes are meant to fade out after 28 shampoos. Yeah, I know you don’t “shampoo” your eyebrows but you wash your face, right?? So I’m wondering that if you used an actual permanent Color Charm dye, if the results would last longer so you didn't have to re-do it so often. The reason I'm asking is because, just like dying the hair on your head too often, you can damage the hair in your eyebrows by too much overprocessing so I just wanted to throw that out in case you want to try a permanent Color Charm gel on your brows next time.

BTW, did you know that Sallys actually also sells a tinting kit specifically for eyebrows and eyelashes? It's called Roux Brow and Lash Tinting Kit....

Carrie
cait2k3
5% products discount

Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
carrie - yah, aveda sucks. my sister swears by all of their products but thats because shes a hippie and loves everything natural (and shes never dyed her hair).

next time i go buy some colar charm, i'll try some permanent dye. however, i think eyebrow hairs grow somewhat so even if its dyed with permanent color, i believe it will grow out - that's how it seemed in the past and i think someone else once told me that. but i will definetly give the permanent dye a try because any less time spent in the bathroom is more time spent on the computer like a dork!
babs1031
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
I actually bought Miss Clairol hair dye and cream peroxide...I mix very little of both in an applicator bottle. I put vaseline around my brows, use a q-tip and voila...perfect brows! Very inexpensive and easy to do...
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
I'll be the first to admit that I have no knowledge about eyebrow/eyelash dyes except for the 1000 Hours lash/brow kit. I always thought you could go blind if you use regular hair dye. Don't laugh - I know you are! Wink
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Blaze wrote:
Don't laugh - I know you are! Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Cindi wrote:
I must be pretty unique in that I dont pluck my eye brows, I dont wax, I dont colour. They are as mother nature intended them. SHOCKING... Laughing

I've never waxed my eye brows either but I envy the girls who don't have to pluck !!! God, if I didn't pluck or even trim them, they'd grow so long that furry animals would scurry under them to get out of the rain. Shock
graceless_lady
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:50 am      Reply with quote
In between going to my salon to get my hair coloured, I touch up my roots by myself with Clairol's root touch-up kit (otherwise I'd be going to the salon every 2.5 weeks and I can't afford that!). With the hair colour for my roots, I put a bit on a cotton bud/q-tip and wipe it across my eyebrows and leave it on for 3 minutes. It works for me!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
I have me eyebrows threaded and then i use Jane Iredale Eye Kit to define my brows so both sides look even.

A always apply an aloe vera gel after threading to calm ans soothe redness.

It is always best to finish the eyebrows with a clear mascara which retains there shape all day and they look nice and glossy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I always thought you could go blind if you use regular hair dye. Don't laugh - I know you are! Wink

It is possible to have damage if some hairdye accidentally got into your eye(s).

I would rather use something vegetable based (that stings like soap would in an eye) but does not possibly blind for brows and lashes.

I like Swiss O'Par for brows (at home) or Roux brow and lash tint. Lashes are done at the salon with professional vegetable tint.
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
Dyeing the eyebrows is definitely not a safe option for me, and sounds like too much fuss, timewise. With only one set of near-blind eyes, I can't afford to take a risk. Laughing My favorite way of enhancing my eye brows is with a matte brown eyeshadow, used with an angle brush. You can mix the shadow colours to compliment the changes in your hair colour. Starting with little product, build up the colour. I love natural looking healthy brows, not too severe-looking. Smile

Summertimegirl
x
Jenny1970
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I'd be concerned using hair dye on my eyebrows as well. I get mine tinted at my spa as well but no where near as expensive as Aveda. Mine last at LEAST 6 weeks if not longer and they only cost 15.00 to get tinted. I'd look into another spa if I were you. Getting them professionally done is much a much safer option IMHO.
ChelseaaaHi
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
Wouldn't u end up damaging the hair on your eyebrows by using hair dye products instead of the intended brow-dye products?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
I use bronzer on mine..seems to work well. Very Happy
racheli
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:14 am      Reply with quote
my eyebrows are not light, rather medium dark, but even if the single hair is quite long, they are sparse..

using a pen i find difficult in this case, as filling in is not so easy as told by the manufacturers (imo)...

brow powder works very good, but i havent found a good colour for me...

i feel - after trying around numerous times in the shops - still very helpless on this...
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
I use MAC eyebrow mascara, there are many color to choose, and mine is light brown.
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
I use Chanel Sourcils Duo in dark brown. It has a tiny brush you use to add the color lightly, then it has a little wider brush you use to dip in the wax they provide to smooth out your brows and make the color adhere better. It lasts a really long time and is much more natural looking than eyebrow pencils and no dye job for me.
magslena
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried the Bare Escentuals brow kit?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
I have the Anastasia kit and a Laura Mercier eyebrow set and I prefer the Anastasia.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
I like Anastasia also. I have a double-ended cheapie I got at the drugstore which I actually like almost as much. Perfect match to my hair color.
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:32 am      Reply with quote
This is a really nice tip.. I have suffered because of my thin and light eye brows...I look so so dumb and pale w/o dark eye brows:( -you know how it is.. I will try right away and I will let you know how it works for me. Great Great tip and thanks
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |