Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Sesame oil or jojoba oil for face moisturizer?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lsilva7
5% products discount

Sun May 25, 2014 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi
Which would be better as a face moisturizer and which absorbs better into the skin, jojoba or sesame oil?
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2014 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Isilva,
They are both good moisturisers in their own way, and as long as you don't overdo the amount you apply and do it over a damp skin they both absorb quite well. Any excess you just need to press a tissue over the skin to absorb the excess in any case.
I think the important point would be more what kind of skin you've got to begin with. If it is oily I would recommend Jojoba as it tends to normalise oily skin and if it is dry or normal you can use Sesame.
Another matter is the price. Sesame you can find easily in the cooking area of a supermarket and that one is fine to use on the skin, and its far less expensive than the Jojoba, and if you don't like it just use it up on salads!
Yet another matter is the scent. Jojoba has no specific scent, but Sesame oil, unless it has been very refined and deodorized which would also mean it has lost many of it good properties, has a very distinctive nutty scent -I personally like it!
The Sesame oil is one of the basic oils used in Ayurvedic medicine, great externally for dry, cracked skin, dermatitis, etc... very nourishing and also a good cleansing oil as it pulls out toxins, antibacterial, etc there should be a lot of info on the web. Jojoba oil is more for cosmetic use only as far as I know, which I find one of the best used combined with Tea Tree Oil EO for acne and pimples as it also is antibacterial and resembles the skin ceramides. I haven't heard of any allergies caused by Jojoba, if you are allergic to nuts and seeds you could maybe react to Sesame...
I guess I'm just rambling and not being much help!! Embarassed
Anyway, I've brought up some points you may have to consider like scent, price, your skin condition..
Just curious, why are you considering only these two oils?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 31, 2014 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
Sesame unsaponifiables are excellent for plumping and soothing skin but I always mix them @5% with another oil.

5% products discount

Sat May 31, 2014 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
Which other oil do u mix with? So u do
95% sesame and 5% which one? Thanks
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 31, 2014 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
5% sesame unsaponifiables and 70% camellia oil works nicely. But I add other ingredients also.

5% products discount

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
What else do u add to this to make it 100%?
earrings4divas

Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:08 pm      Reply with quote
Great information Very Happy I have Psoriasis and I am always looking for a good moisturizer for my skin. This information is very valuable to me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:23 am      Reply with quote
lsilva7 wrote:
What else do u add to this to make it 100%?

Whatever carrier oils I feel like using at the time, some vitamin E, plus some inula EO for lymphatic drainage. It all depends what Im in the mood for.

5% products discount

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone! I actually just joined and this is my very first post - I figured this thread would be a good one to broach the subject of WHY jojoba (AND coconut) oils actually DRY OUT MY SKIN. Well, the under eye area specifically. It's immensely irritating. I'm 39 with otherwise flawless skin EXCEPT for my dry dry under eyes. I have fine line and crepey crow feet when I smile, and it's gotten me so insecure that I actually try to never smile. I hate it!! And everywhere I read it's all about cocout oil and jojoba oil, but I never read about those oils actually drying out the skin. Am I the only one with this problem?

This might be the wrong place to post this reply, and if so i'm sorry.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:33 am      Reply with quote
There are some people that just don't do well with an oil at all.

Coconut is not a good choice for acne prones but it is great for hair.

Jojoba helps normalize skin (as well as hazelnut).

I would take a look at Garden of Wisdom site at the selection of oils.

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/oils.html

I have purchased oils from GOW but you can also find the more common ones from health food stores, even grocery stores, etc.

I like the sampler back of three small oils. I had good luck with rosehip oil under my eyes but YMMV.

I would do a patch test first to ensure your skin likes the oil.

5% products discount

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:46 am      Reply with quote
Why THANK YOU so much for recommending that site! It's like a gold mine lol. I've been perusing it for two days straight and placed my first order. I'll update everyone and let them know how things pan out with my awful, dehydrated under eyes! haha!
prettitude

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:11 am      Reply with quote
I've used jojoba oil for years as a face moisturizer and find it absorbs very well if you don't use too much (1 to 2 drops is enough). I'm in a part of the world where sesame oil is used a lot in cooking so using that would just make me hungry Laughing
Judy Chen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
Every time I stay here, I pick up so many good idea and information on skincare. Thank you for sharing. I've never known I could just use the sesame oil from kitchen for immediate use in skincare.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:15 am      Reply with quote
I bought a large jar of coconut oil from Basics grocery store. It was in the ethnic section. There is also rosewater there.

I purchased a large bottle of grapeseed oil from the grocery store. Better for normal to oily skins. I use mine as part of my DIY cleansing oil mix.

Olive oil is also easy to find in the grocery store.

I am sure there is other oils that are easy to find; I just can't think of them.

GOW (and places like that) are better for the more exotic oils.

5% products discount

Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:16 am      Reply with quote
Both of them are essential oils that helps in moisturizing your face. These oils have different properties that benefit your skin.

Jojoba oil has a great absorptive properties and helps the skin retain moisture and prevents the skin from overcompensating with more oil production. This oil is dry, light and cool and almost neutral oil that has healing abilities which are good for acne.

Sesame oil, on the other hand, is a neutral-wet, light and warm oil. It is known as one of the most balance oils between oleic(which makes the oil heavier) and linoleic acids (making an oil lighter). Thus, this oil is a medium density oil.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |