Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Inexpensive sunscreen for the face
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive sunscreen for the face? Also, what # SPF should I be using for the face and hands?
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried dozens of sunscreens. I use Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration spf 30 for arms and hands.

UVB/UVA spf 30
Available at Target, Shoppers, etc. under $10.00 a bottle

I also use whatever sunscreens that do NOT work for face on my hands.

I would look for good UVA protection for your face.
Skin type? Do you wear makeup? Spend a lot of time outside?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
My skin is usually dry if I don't use moisturizer
I have light skin but not too fair and I'm not outside alot. I worry though about driving in the car and the sun hitting the side of my face and the tops of my hands. I can already see light freckles coming in on my hands. Completely unavoidable Rolling Eyes
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
Olay is pretty good, you get a choice of fragrance or non fragrance lotions. If you don't want to get dark then SPF 30.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:56 am      Reply with quote
sakura wrote:
Olay is pretty good, you get a choice of fragrance or non fragrance lotions. If you don't want to get dark then SPF 30.

The Olay is a low cost option at the drugstore. I used the US version spf 15 which has 3% zinc oxide. The spf 30 has double the amount of zinc. This is OK but there is better options.

If you are concerned about your hands, you can always wear gloves when ever possible. Driving gloves are common in Asian countries. Personally, I prefer to wear sunscreen; the greasy feeling stuff that I don't want on my face is acceptable on hands.

La Roche Posay has good options with higher UVA protection.

What country are you in? Canada has some good drugstore options.

Look for UVA protection
ingredients: (physical) zinc oxide and titanium dioxide

Mexoryl - L'oreal companies

Ombrelle - low cost (I like the Faces one. I keep a tube in my purse and also use on hands.)

La Roche Posay and Vichy

Tinosorb
Bioderma

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:00 am      Reply with quote
There is some good suggestions in this thread

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=48440

Are you willing to order online?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:54 am      Reply with quote
More suggestions here:

The 21 Best Safe and Natural Sunscreen Moisturizers

http://www.organicauthority.com/21-best-safe-natural-sunscreen-moisturizers

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
I once read that anything over 50 will not protect the skin better...just an FYI there for the SPF protection. Not sure how true it is.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:13 am      Reply with quote
I like to check Ratzilla's reviews. She likes this one this year:

http://www.ratzillacosme.com/reviews/best-pick-nivea-sun-protect-plus-skin-uv-cream/

SPF50/PPD++++ (means over 16)

$6.49USD for 50 grams + shipping.

5% products discount

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:

Could you please mention which options are good in Canada, especially for sensitive, fair skin? I'm confused by the plethora of sunscreens here.

Thank you!
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
meteor wrote:
Autumn1995 wrote:

Could you please mention which options are good in Canada, especially for sensitive, fair skin? I'm confused by the plethora of sunscreens here.

Thank you!

I would look at the La Roche Posay and Vichy in the beauty section of Shoppers. There should be testers.

Another suggestion is Ombrelle Faces spf 45. Tube fits nicely in a purse. It is a L'Oreal product that contains Mexoryl XL. Should be close to Olay pricing.

I also tried the Bioderma. I got the milk version but there is also a spray and a cream. This is the highest PPD available in a Canadian drug store.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
Neutrogena ultra sheer liquid sunscreen ($12) is a good inexpensive sunscreen easily available everywhere in North America.

YB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Neutrogena ultra sheer liquid sunscreen ($12) is a good inexpensive sunscreen easily available everywhere in North America.

Love this one!

I keep it in my bag year long and use it mostly on my hands.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Ladies.....Can the neutrogena one be used on the face under concealer and face powder?
YB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Ollie wrote:
Thanks Ladies.....Can the neutrogena one be used on the face under concealer and face powder?

I don't see why not. It doesn't leave a white cast and very thin.

You may want to use some moisturizer under it though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
Ollie wrote:

It works beautifully under makeup!
diamond44

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
I really like NO Ad.
Judy Chen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
We know we need sunscreen on the face as well as hands, arms..the whole body. But, iSs there anyone who knows any sunscreen that won't make your steering wheel and everywhere in the car white? It bothers me. Becaue of sunscreen, I leave everywhere white stains.
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
Judy Chen wrote:
We know we need sunscreen on the face as well as hands, arms..the whole body. But, iSs there anyone who knows any sunscreen that won't make your steering wheel and everywhere in the car white? It bothers me. Becaue of sunscreen, I leave everywhere white stains.

I have the same problem. Plus my pants have a white ring around the pockets when I dig into them. I've started to use chemical sunscreen on my hands/arms and zinc on my face/neck. Took care of this issue for me.
Judy Chen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:42 am      Reply with quote
There's one,I think, working pretty nice. That is All Terrain Aqua Sport spf30. It contains zinc oxide 16% ( I don't have it here right now, should be 16%). It goes matte and almost no white residue. It is my favorite for hands.
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
I use the Neutrogena Purescreen products: http://www.neutrogena.com/category/sun/purescreen-+technology.do#techLine

Coppertone also has Water Babies Pure and Simple (the physical one, not the regular one): http://www.coppertone.com/products/kidandbaby/waterbabies/lotion/pureandsimple.aspx

That'll give you a big bottle of a physical sunscreen for not a lot of money. You can slather it all over your body. (It also contains chemical sunscreen ingredients not everyone may accept.)

I used to use sunscreens from Shiseido and Sofina, but stopped. Everywhere says that for sunscreen especially, it's important to be liberal in application (a lot and every two hours). With the more expensive products, I couldn't be that liberal.
Judy Chen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:03 am      Reply with quote
I would like to know how they work- Neutrogena and Coppertone.Certainly, if they work fine, why we have to buy more expensive ones.
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Judy, the Neutrogena works because it contains titanium dioxide (4.9%) and zinc oxide (4.7%).

The Coppertone works because it contains zinc oxide (14.5%), octinoxate (7.5%), and octisalate (5%).

Some people don't like the physical sunscreens because they leave a white residue. Some people don't like the chemical sunscreens because of safety concerns.

Only judging on sun protection, I don't think expensive products offer better protection compared to drugstore products. There are only a handful of basic sunscreen ingredients, though some companies have created new ones.

Some expensive products may offer a texture/feel on the skin the user likes.
beauty mask
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
I would suggest QV. It is not sticky and for sensitive skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
RMB, thank you. I totally agree. We don't really have to buy high end sunscreen products if there are some cheaper ones work the same. But, would you let me know the Neutrogena and Coppertone you suggested could leave white residue? The physical ingredient they have seem work, but then I am concerned they might cause white cast.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |