Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

C-Serum is yellowish right after making. Normal?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
SkyIsRed
5% products discount

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
I noticed that when i make my C-serum, its not completely clear, but has a yellow tint. Not sure if it was doing it before. My LAA is somewhat old (form half a year to a year, and its from skinessentialactives.com) but I always keep it tightly closed and in a fridge. Can LAA oxidize while still in solid form? I never kept it open for long... So is it supposed to be a little yellow, or has my LAA gone bad?
Does MAP get oxidized like this too?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:14 am      Reply with quote
My LAA was always clear in solution by itself from SEA. Yours sounds like you've kept it too long and its old. I use my C powder up fast and I keep it in a ziploc with desiccant packets in a dark cool bin, not the refrigerator where condensation can attack it. Yes, even tho its sealed, it can oxidize if moisture hits it.

AA2G is a more stable form of ascorbic acid and I use it now. MAP doesnt have all the properties of ascorbic acid but its certainly more stable.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:57 am      Reply with quote
What else is in your mix? Could it be something else tinting it yellow? Perhaps an oil with a yellowish tone?

Mine is usually white, but I have noticed depending on what oils I use it can give it a slight hue.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Others beat me to the punch. The only skin care ingredients I keep refrigerated or frozen are the liquid, oil soluble kind. Just think of all the moisture in your fridge right now. You don't want any of that coming in contact with a dry powder.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:02 am      Reply with quote
I think that it is because of the ferulic acid.

The following recipe mentions that it is yellow.

I have made 2 batches and find that there is a faint yellowish tint.

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/formulary/DIY_C&E_With_Ferulic_Acid.pdf
SkyIsRed
5% products discount

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:59 am      Reply with quote
The mixture of LAA and water is yellowing even before adding any extra ingredients:( I too keep it in a tight container and in a ziploc. No desiccant tho, so it must have been condensation that ruined it. Where do you keep your LAA if not in the fridge? I cant think of any other cold place to store it.

I thought MAP was the princess of all vitamin-C serums, did it go out of favor?Smile I need to do some research on AA2G as I've never heard of it before.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:45 am      Reply with quote
MAP is stable but it doesnt have any exfoliating benefits.

Keep vitamin C powders in a dark cool closet in an airtight styrene box with desiccant packets. Cold will cause condensation when you bring it into a warm humid environment.

AA2G is highly acidic but can tolerate a wider range of pH than LAA and is more stable. You would need to have pH strips or meter and an alkalinizing solution like TEA or NaOH on hand to adjust the pH if you use it.

http://www.in-cosmeticsasia.com/en/Exhibitors/280695/Nagase-Thailand-CoLtd/Products/698456/AA2G-Ascorbyl-Glucoside

AA2G is great for whitening:
http://www.pchi-china.com/en/Exhibitors/109879/HAYASHIBARA-CO-LTD/Products/547257/AA2GL-A-s-c-o-r-b-i-c-A-c-i-d-2-G-l-u-c-o-s-i-d-e

Where to get it and a formula for using it: http://skinessentialactives.blogspot.com/2012/05/aa2g-serum_22.html

5% products discount

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:51 am      Reply with quote
So far only the vitamin C powder I got from bulkactives turns yellow upon mixing. It's ultrafine and dissolves easier but turns a lemon yellow right after mixing. (The powder is freshly bought I mixed it almost as soon as I received it) I also notice it turns orange faster than the other vitamin C powders I got elsewhere. Wouldn't be buying from bulkactives anymore because they are really unprofessional. They would forget to ship my order for a full mth then forced me to accept the late goods and refuse to let me refund.

Other than that one company I have no such problems unless I have been keeping the crystals way too long and not in an air tight container protected from humidity. In which case the solution would look yellow to orangey instead of clear. But the crystals themselves will look brown before u even mixed them, a clear indication of oxidation and no good anymore. I would toss them out.
fullset

Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:48 am      Reply with quote
I have sodium ascorbate powder that I use for topical application. It has a slight yellow tint to it when I add water. I do it on the palm of my hand and don't really worry about concentration since it is pH neutral, or close to it.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |