Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Tired of dealing with sun damage on left side of face
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Fairydogmother
5% products discount

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone. The left side of my face, because of driving in the car and the sun always hitting that side, is more wrinkly and sun damaged than my right. When I smile, I have many lines on my left cheek going all the way up to my eyes, and none on my right cheek. I've been to an esthetician. She prescribed the whole Obagi line, including hydroquinone. After a month, my dogs' liver enzymes were elevated, so I had to discontinue. They have since normalized. *Disclaimer* I'm not stating that hydroquinone caused this, but my dogs' internist recommended I discontinue the hydroquinone, and my dogs went back to normal. Since that devastating ordeal, I'm VERY careful what I apply on my skin. I have friends with similar experiences with their pets

I've tried Retin A micro. I've tried Rosehip Seed Oil. I've tried lactic acid peels, all the way up to 85%. I've recently tried TCA peels, and am up to 18%. I use a Clairsonic daily. I use the MUAC daily exfoliating liquid. I do facial exercises. I use MUAC vitamin C&E. I tried copper peptides years ago and it didn't help me. And Retin A micro always makes me break out all over my face when I use it.

When I look in the magnifying mirror, it looks like I have dirty spots all over the left side (small brown patches). My esthetician wants to inject Juvederm into the smile lines, but it's so expensive. The smile lines aren't permanent yet.

I'm frustrated and don't know what to do or use to get rid of the brown spots and smile lines all over the left side of my face. I refuse to use any more hydroquinone. The lines are very visible when I smile in pictures, only on my left side. Ugh.

Any suggestions?
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Retin A, ReAura laser, derma pen.

You need to re-youthify those damages tissues.
Fairydogmother
5% products discount

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Mismis,

Where do I buy these items?

And what kind of laser? There are so many different treatments. Thanks!
Fairydogmother
5% products discount

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:40 am      Reply with quote
Oops, just re-read. ReAura laser. OK. All of these items can be purchased here on EDS?
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Nope, not at EDS as far as I know - suggest asking doc for Retin A .25 Rx, Google for the rest. See ReAura and Tria threads; I suggest ReAura because that is what I have used, tria may be just as effective.
Billybob
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
I use Reaura laser and it did definitely fade the sun spots, however, I bought mine in the UK and it is still unavailable in the US. The Tria Age-Defying laser can be bought here and it's considerably cheaper - under $500. It works on the same principal, AND you don't need the gel. I agree with mismis on the dermapen. My Dermajet stopped working (quel surprise), and I now have a cheapo My M electric roller from ebay. I love gadgets, but believe that needling trumps almost anything on the skin rejuvenation front for getting rid of crepiness.

Juvederm will not do anything for the sunspots, and it's only temporary for filling (but, yeah yeah, I do that to!). If you are going down that road, have a CO2 laser peel. It will deal with the sun spots and the wrinklies in one go. You will look like a Halloween monster for a week or two afterwards, but it does the job. Not cheap, but if you start a good regimen afterward (home laser, needling) it will be a new beginning.

What else? BROAD SPECTRUM SUNSCREEN - every single day for the rest of your life! Keep some in the car, in the kitchen, by your sink. Make sure its in your moisturisers and foundation.
Fairydogmother
5% products discount

Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies.

So one professional CO2 laser peel should do the trick? I will call a few estheticians and get quotes.

I've noticed since I'm doing the higher strength lactic acid and TCA peels, my skin is very dry, MORE wrinkly, and not peeling like it was supposed to.
Billybob
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
Fairydogmother, yes one CO2 laser resurfacing should do it, known as ablative. Please don't let your esthetician handle this one: seek out an experienced cosmetic dermatologist or doctor. Consults are usually free.
Sublative lasers (e-matrix etc.) cannot treat as deeply as the ablative, also they require several sessions, and the results are iffy on sun damaged skin.
It is not a treatment for the faint of heart: children will run screaming if you venture out after the procedure. I think about two weeks downtime. You will be scabby and oozy and uncomfortable initially. Your skin won't tolerate sun for a while.
I had it done a few years ago and have pretty much maintained the results by really stepping up my skin care regimen at home - I picked up a lot of info here, and have become gadget woman!

But back to the Tria, I suspect with dedicated use you may see results over time, and certainly a handy thing to have to maintain and promote continued results.

I am surprised you are having poor results with the peels: sometimes the peeling doesn't start for a week or so, and during that time your skin may look a bit rough. Have you thought about trying a course (usually 3-5) of something like the VI Peel? They are quite effective on sun damaged skin, a lot of spas do these, or similar. It would also give you a handle on what you should expect if you are doing it at home.

I wish I could tell you there was a cheap magic potion for this, but the damage has been done already and you may have to bring out the big guns!
kjeffers

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
A great site to do additional homework on your options for dealing with sunspots and wrinkling is Dr. Irwin's blog. Dr. Irwin is a board-certified dermatologist who specializes in cosmetic procedures. She's not affiliated with any skin care company, laser company, etc. No conflict of interest.
I read her site all the time and balance her professional opinions against those of my peers, here on EDS. Good luck!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:47 am      Reply with quote
You can try Chantecaille pure rosewater and Jasmine and lily healing mask

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Luyan, there is nothing in either of those products that will have any effect on sun spots or fine wrinkling caused by sun damage. Furthermore, the rose water alone costs $100. But you may smell nice...
Fairydogmother
5% products discount

Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for the replies.

All of doctors wanted a consultation fee, so I chose one based on her Yelp reviews. She doesn't do CO2, she does fractional (?) laser. A package of 3 treatments is $1500!! Then she said I had to do fillers and Botox after the 3 laser treatments. It was kind of overwhelming.

The docs who do CO2 laser treatments make you go to a surgery center and give you general anesthesia, so it was extremely pricey!

I'm not sure what to do now? Should I just purchase a home laser and the derma pen and do it myself? My face doesn't look that bad, just in the magnifying mirror...LOL
Fairydogmother
5% products discount

Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
Also, I looked for the Tria laser on ebay and it's all lasers for hair removal. Is this the right one?

The doc I saw did confirm that the best anti aging regimen is lasers and the dermapen.

I'm guessing there are instructions for the Tria laser here on the EDS forum? Cause the doc wanted to do my eye hollows, around my eyes, and face, and even recommended my hands (I have a few sun spots on my hands, too).
Billybob
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
No, not the hair removal Tria. But the Age-Defying Tria. Don't get it on ebay, Tria offers a 90 day refund policy, plus ther is usually a code you can use for some free skin care products too, so I think you should order it directly from them.

Your doctor is a quack. Don't allow yourself to be bullied, however subtly, by her. Lots of people, RNs and estheticians are setting up shop after a short training course in injectables and lasers. Beware! They will exploit your insecurities like rabid dogs - remember they are making big bucks off you! I bet you didn't even mention your hands - the Tria may help there too, or try one of those fading creams on your hands. An ethical doctor or dermatologist should not charge you for a consultation. I live in Florida and have the privilege of seeing Dr. Aguilera at Shino Bay. He is one of the best cosmetic dermatologists in the US. There was no consultation fee, and he took the time to sympathetically discuss my needs, and suggested we proceed cautiously. NEVER ONCE has he tried to do a hard sell. This is what you should expect.

Owndoc is about to release a new electronic needler, look at Owndoc.com or Sarah Vaughter's site for info. Plus, of course, right here on this forum there is a ton of info about needling and the Tria.
Fairydogmother
5% products discount

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply!

So is it the consensus here that the Tria laser works? I read a few threads here and some posters said that it didn't make a difference, caused broken capillaries, charger didn't work, etc. And some posters liked it a lot.

Would the Tria be a great alternative to laser treatments at the doc's? Cause the docs are expensive. LOL

Also, can I do the needling pen the same time as the Tria? I'd also like to do these treatments on my hands and a few problem areas. Thanks!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:39 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |