Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Rosehip Oil versus Vit C Serum: pros/cons
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
ellaova

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
This is my first post so please excuse me if m posting in the wrong area. Not familiar with forum etiquette or it's entire contents and I'm not sure there's somewhere more relevant to my post my query.

Quick question- is Rosehip Oil suitable as a substitute for a good quality Vitamin C facial serum?

From what I've read some type of topical Vit C is essential to one's skincare routine, particularly with regards to anti aging. I've been looking for some type of reliable Vit C serum to include in my routine and wondered if Rosehip Oil is effective as a complete source of Vitamin C.

I have been researching MAP C serums and possibly making my own but before I embark on such huge undertaking I wanted to make sure I'm not wasting my time and money if there a simpler alternative available.

Can someone please tell me if Rosehip is a suitable alternative to an effective, good quality Vit C serum?
Are they comparable?
What are the pros and cons of Rosehip Oil versus a quality Vit C serum or MAP serum?
Thanks in advance for your help! Smile
CindiLou
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:02 am      Reply with quote
Vitamin C serum, if you make your own, is very cheap & easy. I've definitely seen good results from using it. It's lightened all the brown spots on my hands & i had a major one above my lip for over 20yrs & now it's barely visible. I also find that it plumps up my skin a little although that's a some what temporary effect. If you don't use the serum for a couple of days, that effect goes away.
So yes, that's my experience & i highly recommend trying DIY serum. Just be careful not to make it too strong. Build up gradually to 20% if your skin can tolerate it. Don't go stronger than 20% as i found 25% very irritating & made my skin very sensitive.
ellaova

Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:50 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your response Cindy!
I gguess I've read great things about Rosehip and wondered why people still prefer Vit C serum when good quality Rosehip is so inexpensive. I'm not familiar with the science behind potency, delivery, stability between Rosehip and Vit C serums and have yet to discover anything on whether the two are even indeed comparable. I've looked EVERYWHERE but can't find any comparisons or info on the subject.
Good to hear your seeing some good results with C serum and impressed with DIY!
ellaova

Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:59 am      Reply with quote
My apologies for double post and misndersand. Posting from tablet
whit is highly uneditable and throwing up suggestive text,sentences and paragraphs. Too painful.
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
Rosehip Oil contains ZERO vitamin C.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_hip_seed_oil
CindiLou
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:22 am      Reply with quote
Ellaova, part of my post did not appear for some reason.
I used rosehip oil for probably a couple of years with only the benefit of moisturising & a slight glow to the skin. Nothing compared to the results i have gained from Vitamin C serum.
SwiinyTodd

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:20 am      Reply with quote
I plan to try it to see ho wit works in reality.
Xien
5% products discount

Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:40 am      Reply with quote
From what I know Rosehip oil contains Vitamin A and is known to be more of a substitute for those who are retinol intolerant.. there are many oils and plant extracts that contains natural vitamin C but is nowhere as effective as a Vitamin C serum. I'm using blackcurrant oil and pomegranate extracts in my diy lotion and they do contain vitamin C but I would not consider them a good enough substitute and I still make L ascorbic serum fresh weekly. For one thing it has zero exfoliating benefits. I tried rosehip oil before and tbh it's more for dry/mature skin types, I have combo skin and it's kind of too rich for me. So do take note of that if you are prone to acne. There are some who say the darker red rosehip oils are the better in quality, the pale yellow versions has less nutrients and cheaper. But I am not sure about this.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:47 am      Reply with quote
There are many alternative antioxidant sources if for some reason you dont want to use vitamin C serum. They dont have the same science behind them and they probably wont give you the same results as a well-formulated C serum, but they all have their charms.

A mixture of pomegranate seed oil, sesame unsaponifiables, sea buckthorn berry extract and sea buckthorn pulp extract mixed in a lighter carrier oil like argan, meadowfoam, French plum seed (or whatever carrier oil you like) is really nice:

http://www.naturesgift.com/carrier_oils/pomengranate-oil.htm

^^ this site is a wealth of info about various oils, but I question their claim that red raspberry seed oil "has shown spf of 28-50". All the lit Ive read says more like 4-8.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Has anybody tried lemon oil or grapefruit oil for wrinkles on face and neck?
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
^I use tea tree oil (which has some of the same stuff like limonene, etc) and it seems better for pores and acne than wrinkles. I guess it's the antibiotic action. I have pretty oily skin and mixing tea tree up with carrier oils is the only way to keep the blackheads at bay. Just like someone up there mentioned. Very Happy
ellaova

Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Much thanks to all above for some very informed responses!
I think it's safe to say that the rosehip doesn't really fair with a good vit C serum.
Fortunately I've since acquired, quite accidentally and for free (OMFG yes!!!!), La Mav Vit C Advanced Nightly Repair Nectar which contains Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmiate which apparently is on par with the MAP.
I'll give it a go and see what happens! Thanks for your help all, much appreciated!
lillyc
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:26 am      Reply with quote
[quote="Chlorophyll"]^I use tea tree oil (which has some of the same stuff like limonene, etc) and it seems better for pores and acne than wrinkles. I guess it's the antibiotic action. I have pretty oily skin and mixing tea tree up with carrier oils is the only way to keep the blackheads at bay. Justlike someone up there mentioned. Very Happy[/quote

How do you apply tea tree oil? Sometimes I have breakouts but I find it too pungent to apply all over my face. Do you dilute it or mix with toner?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |