Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How much sun without sunscreen?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
EyesWithoutaface
5% products discount

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
I am very fair and have been doing AHA peels, vit C serum, and retin-a regularly.

Since I work from home office I rarely need to go in the sun for more than a few minutes at a time. I wear hats when the sun angle is high. Consequently I rarely wear sunscreen unless I know I will be exposed for 30+ minutes. I find my skin doesn't react well to most sunscreens so I prefer to avoid them as much as possible.

I wonder how many minutes of sun exposure is realistically safe before sunscreen is absolutely required.
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
There will be no way to a give an exact answer to this question. It really boils down to how far you wanna take things. Skin damage is cumulative. The unprotected minutes add up. Hats help but rays deflect upwards off of concrete, water. etc.
EyesWithoutaface
5% products discount

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks I did find this chart useful as a basic guideline:

Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:37 am      Reply with quote
It's pretty much a given that with as little time your going to be in the sun and wearing a large hat that you are not going to burn. I was referring to UVA rays mainly. The aging rays.
EyesWithoutaface
5% products discount

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Pandax, this is a issue that has been plaguing me for ages. Having ivory celtic skin, it seems the sun is my worst enemy. Last year I finally tried to get a gentle tan starting at 5 minutes a day and trying to build up. It really aged me more then I expected and a year later with a lot of effort I am just getting over the damage.

I guess my question should be, should I be wearing sunblock every day, even indoors? The reason I haven't is because my skin is already sensitive especially to chemical sunscreens.
havana8

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:40 am      Reply with quote
EyesWithoutaface wrote:
I guess my question should be, should I be wearing sunblock every day, even indoors?

According to skin cancer.org:

Anyone over the age of six months should use a sunscreen daily. Even those who work inside are exposed to ultraviolet radiation for brief periods throughout the day, especially if they work near windows, which generally filter out UVB but not UVA rays.

I found this article interesting:

Sunscreen Could Slow Skin Aging, Study Finds
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/03/sunscreen-skin-aging-_n_3380828.html
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
I don't like wearing sunscreen on my face unless it's used as a primer under foundation. I went to Chinatown and bought a bamboo parasol. They are cheap and tend to break if you aren't careful but look very elegant. I see more and more women using regular umbrellas on sunny days as well. I like my skin to be able to breathe once in a while. Wearing sunscreen indoors is a bit too paranoid for my taste. Even doctors are now saying that it's okay for people to get ten minutes of sun early or late in the day which is good for your health.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:20 am      Reply with quote
EyesWithoutaface wrote:
I guess my question should be, should I be wearing sunblock every day, even indoors? The reason I haven't is because my skin is already sensitive especially to chemical sunscreens.

If you want to block the aging rays UVA then, yes, you should be wearing sunscreen when there is any daylight. UVA passes through glass so your not protected by windows. Some light bulbd also give UV rays such as the CF type.

Use a sunscreen with physical blockers only, especially zinc oxide which is a broad spectrum sunscreen and calms irritated skin. Search this board for recommendations on brands.

If you insist on getting daily sun exposure, then at least limit it to your body such as your arms or legs and shield your face and neck from the sun.

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
nsachs

Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
What about natural sunscreen options:

Mineral Makeup ?

Titanium Dioxide based foundations? Cosmedix has one!!
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
nsachs wrote:
What about natural sunscreen options:

Mineral Makeup ?

Titanium Dioxide based foundations? Cosmedix has one!!

With both of those options, you would never be able to apply enough product to get adequate protection. And Titanium Dioxide does not protect against deeper penetrating rays the way Zinc Oxide does.
talyta
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
try krill oil Smile You are going to see the sunscreen effect in a couple of weeks . I am taking it for 3 years and I wear sunscreen occasionally when i am going to the beach . No melanoma anymore...
I really love this stuff:)
EyesWithoutaface
5% products discount

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips.

After further reading I found a study showing coconut oil has a natural SPF of around 7.

Very low but according to the 1st chart that should buy me around 60 minutes of safe exposure which is far more then I would ever stay in the sun without real sunblock.

My skin loves coconut oil anyways so this is a no brainer I'm going to try it on my arms.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
One thing stands out on that chart - peppermint oil. I use it straight when I have muscle pain. it is very strong and makes my skin feel sensitive. I can't believe that it helps block the sun when it seems to make me more photosensitive. Same with lemon and orange oil.

I wonder how thick the oils need to be? How often to reapply?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
I hate to keep being a party pooper on this thread but your seriously kidding yourself if you think putting coconut oil on your face/body is going to give you optimum protection from both UVA and UVB rays.
MarkAmerac

Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:00 am      Reply with quote
Pandax12 wrote:
I hate to keep being a party pooper on this thread but your seriously kidding yourself if you think putting coconut oil on your face/body is going to give you optimum protection from both UVA and UVB rays.

Pandax,
I absolutely agree with you, sunscreen will only delay the inevitable... instead of broiling your skin under the sun, you will fry it with that oil mixture...

Regards,

Mark
Gayle
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
I fell for advice by a popular online Dr., which was to get a few minutes a day of sunlight SOMEWHERE on you body, legs, tummy, etc. for many health benefits. So, for 4 days, I sat outside on the deck, exposing only my legs to sunlight for 10 mins. I put coconut oil on them for a bit of moisture. Now I have horrid white spots on my legs to show for it! No idea why so little sun caused this.

I have protected my skin from the sun for years now, you can bet I won't do that again. I'm betting they won't go away either. Crying or Very sad

I Googled images and it is this:
Idiopathic Guttate Hypomelanosis (IGH)
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:31 am      Reply with quote
I have those white spots too, they've been there as long as I can remember. I'm pretty sceptical about sunblock. I worry that in another 10 years we're going to find out that the chemicals are causing more cancer than the sun.
Lately I've been hearing about children being deficient in Vitamin D because they are completely protected from sun exposure.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:45 am      Reply with quote
I'm 63, and stayed out of the sun for the past 15 years or so. I don't usually use sunscreen except on my face, chest & arms when I know I'll be outside for a while. I know these spots come with age, but I escaped them until now! Mad

I just don't think sunscreen is the evil villain it's made out to be.
flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:34 am      Reply with quote
I only tend to wear sunscreen on my face/neck there's not much sun to be had in the u.k most of the time anyway, but since using topicals I know how important it is. I think I've damaged my skin so much when younger from not wearing any and putting oil on to try get a tan, which I've never been able to do my skin type is fair so I always used to burn.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:25 am      Reply with quote
If you worry about chemicals in your sunscreen, use a physical block like zinc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
EyesWithoutaface wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

After further reading I found a study showing coconut oil has a natural SPF of around 7.

Very low but according to the 1st chart that should buy me around 60 minutes of safe exposure which is far more then I would ever stay in the sun without real sunblock.

My skin loves coconut oil anyways so this is a no brainer I'm going to try it on my arms.

This is measuring traditional spf or the UVB rays. Remember back in the '70's when Coppertone offered spf4.

Coconut oil is a great moisturizer for body and hair. I would not relay on it for sun protection; especially UVA.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
The coconut oil is what I used when I sat outside for those 10 minutes a day for 4 days. I still wound up with those horrid white spots. Sad
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
EyesWithoutaface,

Dr. Michael Hollick gives you the answer to how long you can stay out in the sun without burning in his book: "The UV Advantage".

He gives the exact range of times that you can be in the sun safely based on:

(1) your skin color
(2) time of year
(3) time of day
(4) latitude

It's a few pages of tables, but it's the most comprehensive scientific data I've seen on it. It's cheap but worthwhile investment to get the book. HTH Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:14 am      Reply with quote
If you're regularly using AHA's and a retinoid, then sunscreen's a must, no matter what. Vitamin C is sun-protective but it's not enough, especially given the other actives you're using.

What take chances? Yes, it's hard to find a sunscreen that suits each person. You have to discover what ingredient(s) annoy your skin then avoid them. My personal favorites tend to be Shiseido. But it does take some trial and error. It is so worth it.
qowpele
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hello guys. Jeez I need to be really blunt here people just do not get it.

Use physical sunscreen such a zinc oxide in concentrations of 20% or over to have adequate protection... Please. You will thank yourself in the long run

Zinc oxide is the most effective sunscreen filter there is. While wearing it sure, some damage is being done but it happens to be a good deal less than what you would have gotten without it.

People you have got to understand that even if you are indoors you will still be bombarded by UVA light due to the fact LIGHT EFLECTS OFF OF SURFACES. If you are in the shade, you are getting slightly less of them, but they are stil hitting you.

Just a few minutes of exposure a day unprotected? Say hello to completely and effortlessly avoidable sun damage to your skin.

Stop checking out oils and other things of that sort that are touted to have spf 7 or whatever. They're useless at blocking UVA rays so you will still be aging at the pace that you would have without it anyway

You need UVA protection.... There is Not going to be a magic pill or oil that replaces this. I know that would be very ideal but, the truth is, taking your skin takes some work that unfortunately we have to deal with but it will be so worth it in the long run guys.....

Zinc oxide is one of the most photostable in sunlight and does not need to be reapplied unless you have sweated or wiped some off.

If you do want to look into internal agents fine, but use them alongside sunscreen daily. Some of these agents that seem extremely promising are Polypodium Leucotomos (aka Heliocare or the cheaper yet same Rhyzocare)

And something else can actually help a lot due to its insanely high lycopene content.... Two tablespoons of tomato paste (not sauce) but paste, is touted to give your body up to 33% extra photo/sun protection. Sure it tastes off for a few seconds but having an odd taste in your mouth for justa minute out of your whole day for a decent amount of more protection? I'll take it

Put it this way "I only get 5 minutes of sun exposure with no sunscreen a day. Let's do math now. 5 x 365 = 1825 minutes of unprotected sun exposure.... that is over 30 hours of sun exposure. That is a ton of damage.

Guys just bite the bullet, accept the fact it may take a little inconvenience to get done, but that you will be so thankful later that you did it
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |