Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
organic or else...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I used to shop at "stop and shop" for groceries, since they are everywhere and big. I am not a big veggie eater but I do need them. I need to have apple and lemon on a daily basis. I always thought their fruit look almost perfect, so beautiful. Ig I go other stores, I see pathetic looking lemons but of course they are cheaper. My point is I went to get some organic apple, and compare to the big red shiny that lasts sooooo long in my fridge, that in fact started me to wonder. Anyway, I tasted the big perfect apple with the organic apple side by side. The big perfect one tastes better bc it's firmer and sweeter but the skin is bitter and less smell of an apple. The organic one is less firmer in texture, the skin is less red, bit of sour, but the skin is sweet too. my question is what did they add on the non-organic ones to make it look so perfect and sweet. My biggest worry is ....How the hell can those non-organic apples stay in my freeze for a month without going bad ????? have I been eating chemically altered apples ?

I heard there is a huge difference btw nutrition value too.....should I worry about the altered chemically treated fruit in store ??

anyone else has this wonder ?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:43 am      Reply with quote
I think that apples are regularly sprayed with pesticides and the shine comes from a spray of wax that keeps them shiney and also prevents water loss so they keep longer.
In the UK they were recommending that apples should be peeled before being given to young children due to the accumulation of pesticides and the potentially carcinogenic effects of the wax. This was 10-15 years ago and there was a big stink so maybe they have stopped using so much.
I always wash my fruit in washup liquid before putting in the bowl. I had heard it is the only way to remove the wax, though I try to buy NZ apples even though UK taste best, because the really bad sprays are banned in NZ.
The more I think of it, the more I like the idea of living in NZ Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:25 am      Reply with quote
Shock Wow, to think that our produce is treated this way. Must say that I am quilty of just rinsing my fruit and veggies under water. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:44 am      Reply with quote
It's really scary....the reason why I started to bother me was when I cleaned out my fridge the other day, I found AN apple tucked way in and it's still perfect, no soft spots, no mold.....the worst part is -- I can't even recall WHEN did I get that apple, so it has to be at least 3 weeks ago.... Shock a wakeup call for me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
It should be pointed out that it is better to eat fruit and veg even if they are sprayed, than not to eat any at all. The positive health benefits of fresh (or frozen) fruit and veg far outweigh the negative effects of spraying them Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Diderot,
Apples will last a long time so don't let that scare you too much. But once I bought broccoli that refused to die. This scared me.
In the US, you can identify if it's conventional produce, organic or genetically modified. Here's the link:
http://www.checnet.org/healthehouse/education/articles-detail.asp?Main_ID=520
Genetically modified really scares me.
marella
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
queenpedauque is right. Apples do last a really LONG time in the fridge.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
We live a few kilometres from an organic farm which delivers a box a week of fresh vegies from June to October, this summer will be our 6th year. Besides being extremely fresh, they just taste 1000 x better because there are no pesticide/herbicide residues which are quite bitter. In the winter we buy organic produce from Save On Foods here, the organic vegies always wilt or go bad more quickly but that's because they aren't sprayed or injected with preservatives. I can't even eat regularily grown carrots or broccoli anymore, they just don't taste the same.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
I really try to eat only organic fruit and vegetables. If I eat a piece of non-organic fruit I make sure to peel it. Some of those pesticides and chemcials that conventional produce is treated with really worries me -- not to mention the wax and dyes. Yes, they use dyes to make the produce look more appealing! Apples -do- last a long time when refrigerated, but not months! Wink
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
also remember that there are hundreds of species of the same fruits out there. the ones that we see are the ones that are hardier and travel well.

like i went to an organic farm and tasted a tomato, it was so soft and juicy, sweet and it just melted into my mouth. they farmer told us that these would never be able to sell, because the slightest jostle on the road would ruin the entire shipment
rosewater
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:04 am      Reply with quote
If I had the time and space I would really enjoy having my own vegie and herb garden. Very Happy
mollmarie
5% products discount

Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
I had been suffering with migraines in the past and after all else failed, went to see and herbalist. The first thing she did was put me on an organic, range free diet. This was for meat, eggs, veggies, etc...
I couldn't believe how different the food tasted and how good I felt after 2 weeks. Energy level was up, headaches were down.
I had a relapse over the holidays, headaches came back, face broke out....
How eating healthy can make a difference!!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |