Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Worrying reaction to the derma roller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
asdf
5% products discount

Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,
I have been derma rolling my face with 0.2mm (so really not very long) for six weeks now and overall it all went well.

But three weeks ago I decided to also roll the back of my hands and developed a red rash afterwards that was full of hundreds of tiny pinpricks of the derma roller.

The rash took over a week to clear up and since then the skin has been very wrinkly and like dry paper. (for 2 weeks).

I tried to use some scrub to get rid of the pergament like appearance but it is no good. It remains very clearly visible wrinkly and dried up appearance.

Anybody else had this problem? Did it go away? What could have gone wrong?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:42 am      Reply with quote
Backs of hands, chest, abdo and thighs are more prone to a histamine reaction with rolling and that sounds like what happened to you. Taking antihistamines before rolling those areas could help. SCRUBS will make it worse. Just leave the rash alone and apply soothing oils without irritants til it heals. And sunscreen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, couldnt edit, but it also sounds like the skin's barrier is disrupted from scrubbing the already irritated area. If you read about corneotherapy it will give you some insight as to how to restore your skin.

http://www.corneotherapy.org/

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:06 am      Reply with quote
Can be a reaction to the product u use post-roll?

asdf wrote:
Hi all,
I have been derma rolling my face with 0.2mm (so really not very long) for six weeks now and overall it all went well.

But three weeks ago I decided to also roll the back of my hands and developed a red rash afterwards that was full of hundreds of tiny pinpricks of the derma roller.

The rash took over a week to clear up and since then the skin has been very wrinkly and like dry paper. (for 2 weeks).

I tried to use some scrub to get rid of the pergament like appearance but it is no good. It remains very clearly visible wrinkly and dried up appearance.

Anybody else had this problem? Did it go away? What could have gone wrong?
asdf
5% products discount

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:35 am      Reply with quote
thanks for the advice. I will look it all up.

I have used the scrub only yesterday, 3 weeks after the initial event. The skin looks fully healed but very wrinkly and leathery and like dry paper.

I use serums from a company called skin actives (highly recommended, by the way)
NotFromMensa

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:24 am      Reply with quote
What serums did you use after rolling? Like RussianShine said, some ingredients can be harmful.
asdf
5% products discount

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:33 am      Reply with quote
it's collagen serum from skin actives
and a self-made one based on rosehip oil with lots of antioxidants thrown in from the same company.

There is a massive amount of actives in them - it would be easier to have a list of harmful ingredients.

Or a list of serums which will definitely do no harm. Does anybody know if such lists exist?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Everyone has their own protocols it seems, but Setterfield has compiled his list of ingreds to avoid after needling because of disruption of the skin's bilayers and irritation:

surfactants
emulsifiers
emollients
acids
dyes
fragrances
UV filters
humectants except in humid climates

Its all in his latest book if you are interested in the why's and wherefore's.

5% products discount

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:53 am      Reply with quote
thanks for that - are there any recommendations what to use after needling?
hydrogeogirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:28 am      Reply with quote
I just posted about using aloe vera on another thread, sorry to be redundant, but this is super effective for me...

I slice open a leaf and apply it overnight to any skin condition. It is so amazing, the improvement looks like a little miracle in the morning, for me. I cut a leaf, wash it, cut a piece and slice it down the middle opening it up and place the gelatinous side on the injury and bandage it up. This is the extreme method.

You could just spread the fresh gel on your hands all day long. Cut the leaf open, spread the gel, let it dry. When you wash it off, it will reconstitute the gelatinous feel. It sort of seals the skin. Fresh aloe vera gel from a leaf is my go to skin care product for injuries.

I keep potted plants of aloe vera so I can take them with me if I move and also because it spreads so fast in the ground in southern Arizona.

Use aloe vera on a small area to check for any allergic reaction before using aloe vera on injuries.

HGG

61 in 2/2021. Author of "Skin Remodeling DIY, An Introduction to the Underground World of Do-It-Yourself Skin Care" May 2015. Sunscreen/skin protection, DIY C serum, firming serums, Retin-A, OCM, FlexEffect from 2002, lymphatic massage, 6 rolls/year 1.5 mm derma roller from 2008, Infrared/Red LED from 2009, Galvanic/Ultrasound intermittent
asdf
5% products discount

Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:09 am      Reply with quote
thanks hydrogeogirl - I will try this.

I had yet another bad reaction - I needled with a 1.5mm very carefully and had hardly any blood. But now it's the third day afterwards and my forehead looks kind of brownish red and feels like sandpaper.

I think I will stick with the shorter needles in the future. Sad
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:34 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |