Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Help! Make-up tips :)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
misskatblack
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:56 am      Reply with quote
I have absolutely no experience selling makeup (even though I'm obsessed with it) and I have just been given a job selling one of my favourite product lines!!Smile Do you guys have any tips for me? What are you best experiences with cosmetic sales assistants and what are your worst experiences. I want your opinions Smile thanks Kat Smile
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:05 am      Reply with quote
I can't think of any best experiences but the worst things that a sales assistant can do is sell you stuff that doesn't suit you or to give you false advice. I don't like it when sales assistants pretend to know what they are talking about but clearly don't. Smile
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:53 am      Reply with quote
Good luck. You are off to a good start if you really like the product.
I totally agree with misskatblack, there is nothing worse than being sold something that does not suit you.
Also don't make the classic mistake of wearing everything in that line. Some of these people on make-up counters look like clowns they have so much of the stuff on. Puts me right off.
I guess I like people that listen to me, try to understand what it is I want and give me that.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:40 am      Reply with quote
Well, I actually managed a counter - quite a while back tho - Prescriptives. I really did like some of their products and found my nose didn't grow like Pinnochio when I was saying that I liked this or that to a customer.

One thing I tried to do was listen to what they were looking for - not try to sell them something b/c it was expensive. If all they wanted was a lipstick, then that's what we concentrated on.

I never, ever wore a lot of makeup at the counter. Sometimes when I'm at the mall and I see these people who are just so overdone, I'm thinking "but I don't want to look like that!"

One thing I will say, tho - Prescriptives was never one of the companies who went "in gift" at certain times of the year. I'd look over at Arden, Lancome, Lauder, and Clinique when they were in gift and there was like a gajillion people waiting to buy, just so they could get the gift. I would have preferred to have been busier - I shared a counter with Shiseido, which was fun, but when Andrea (the counter manager) would go on break, I'd have to hold down the fort for her and when customers came to the counter, I had no idea what I was talking about and would explain that to the customer instead of trying to fool them!!

Maria

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:43 am      Reply with quote
misskatblack,
In terms of skin care, the makeup brushes must be impeccably clean and let the customer see you disinfect it before each use.

In general, when you make an appointment with a client, be there and be on time. I travel from Providence to the Neiman Marcus in Boston, and the sales rep has left me hanging twice in the last year and did not even bother to call. On the last occasion, I called her the day before to confirm. She worked for an hour that morning and then just went home. She left someone who didn't know the line or the location of the products in charge of the counter.
misskatblack
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Thankyou ladies, I really appreciate your advice. Very Happy Kat. If anyone has any more experiences or advice please post.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
I get pissed off when they don't listen to me. When I say subtle and they pull out red I freak out!

I also hate when I tell them that I didn't like something of theirs and they get defensive and pressure me to try a ever so slightly different product Rolling Eyes
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
Good for you! Loving the product wins half the battle...knowing your product and being honest and well-intentioned wins the other half! Don't feed or support unrealistic expectations...Try to dissuade people from trying to use make-up to make themselves look like someone else....try to help people love what they have - help them to make the best of what they have - accentuate the positive. Don't paint people up to look the way you think they should look (mistake numero uno!). Build a make-up palette around lifestyle and personality - sell them an opportunity to feel like the best version of themselves. IMHO, make-up doesn't make you look beautiful - it's how you feel about what you have on your face that makes you look beautiful - people move differently when they "feel" that their eyes have been enhanced - or that the colour of their lipstick is helping to brighten their skintone....oh yes - and look for ways to incorporate product type and colours that they LOVE - even if you think the colours aren't perfect for them...somehow integrate them or variations on them...they love them for a reason (even if you don't know what it is!) A good make-up artist is like an excellent hairstylist. It's about the "whole package" - from head to toe. Remember, too, that you are often entering an emotional space for people - respect it, respect them...If you pay attention to your clients, figuring out what will make them happy will be easier than you think. Be real and accessible - and above all - whatever you do - *don't lie* - you might get yourself a one-time client but I can almost promise you they won't be back (nor will any of their friends.....who'll tell two friends....and they'll tell two friends... and so on, and so on..)
Have fun! Sorry about the long post - I got excited!
Pudoodles
CharlieBaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Not pushing more costmetics than your customer came in for. If she says no, then not trying to talk her into it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
It really pisses me off when someone tries to sell me either make up or skin care by telling me I HAVE a problem and they can fix it. THere is always some unsuspecting soul who walks past a counter and the sales lady goes "Excuse me, you have a lot of black heads and the wrinkles around your eyes! Let me help you...." or "Oh, your foundation looks awful, you shouldn't be wearing that!" That really makes me boil. Please try not to put people down just to make a sale - that's not moral Confused Can you imagine how the "victim" feels for the rest of the day? Self esteem hits six feet under.

Jenny
SaffronRouge
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, I hate when that happens! One lady told me my foundation was all the wrong color. I didn't have a STITCH of makeup on!!! Can you believe that?
misskatblack
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
You guys are awesome. Thankyou all for your stories and advice. I can't believe that someone would say those things, that is terrible! Well I guess even though I haven't got experience at least I know I will try to treat my customers with respect Laughing
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:38 am      Reply with quote
I agree with everyone before who said don't go in for the "hard sell" and don't try to shame the customer into buying something s/he doesn't want or need. Also, I realize that I might be in the minority here, but I loathe sales assistants (any kind, not just at the cosmetic counter) who swoop down on me like a vulture the second I set feet near the counter. I'm one of those people who like to wander around at my leisure and check out all of the samples and testers just to see if something catches my eye, so it makes me crazy when the SA is lurking so close to me that I trip over him/her when I'm trying to check out their products! If I want the SA's help, I'll ask for it! So if a customer tells you that she's just browsing, then *stand back* and make yourself unobtrusive....If a SA starts 'smothering' me, that's when I walk away and go elsewhere to do my shopping!
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Agree with everything previously said! Have been on both sides of this as a therapist/SA and a customer and there's nothing worse than an over bearing SA!
Also I too hate the over made up tide mark look! "If your skincares so good why have you an inch of bad foundation?" - usually springs to mind! I also hate it when the SA presumes to know better than you and won't listen when you are trying to explain what you would like and what you are interested in! (I admit to going into qualified Beauty Therapist mode then and asking awkward questions like ingredients and function etc - evil I know but I only do it to those really awful SA's that won't leave me alone!!Bad Grin )Like the other day when I was discussing a certain product with a friend of mine as it was excellent to make you look 'warmer and less pasty' at which point SA barged in and told me without any provocation that I should use a darker foundation as I was so pale (we're talking white and freckles - typical irish/redhead stuff) and waved a horrible tan color foundation at me and when I pointed out (and I was really nice about it) that it would be a totally different colour to my neck and that I only used mineral foundations, then snootily told me it would be fine if it was blended out - we're talking a similar color difference like going from BE Fair or JI Ivory to BE Medium Tan! NOT a good look.

Best thing is to get as much training as you can on the product line and listen to your customers,and samples always go down well!! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
i agree with Lucia and carekate- don't be too overbearing- i like to look around before talking to sales assistant. that said, i hate it when i am ready to ask them questions etc and they ignore me. so be in the middle of these two!!
also don't force the poor people into buying stuff they obviously don't want or need.

congratulations on the position tho! it will be fantastic to work for a company you like, and you will get to try their stuff all the time. good luck with it.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
I have another to add...don't be one of those SA that has on orange foundation, it look rediculous, who'd want to buy from a clown???
misskatblack
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
hehe! Orange foundation! I actually saw another girl at the interview with orange foundation! I couldn't stop staring at it Embarassed I wonder if she got the job? I am a pale lightest ivory foundation devotee, but I totally know what you mean!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Orange foundation? Shock I’m thinking Ompa-Lompas from “Charley and the Chocolate Factory”.... Laughing
deacon
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:40 am      Reply with quote
I totally agree with the comments about not looking cartoonish. I was trying to get help at the Laura Mercier counter last week (there was no one there, as usual) and a rep from the Clinique counter asked if she could help.

I turned around and couldn't speak I was so flustered. She had an inch of WHITE foundation on, no hair on her eyebrows but the darkest, thickest, "arch-iest" brows I ever saw. I couldn't not stop staring at her lips. Scarlet lips that extended at least 1/3" above AND below her lip line.... I was in awe. I wondered how anyone took her seriously. She was very nice, but didn't know a thing about Laura Mercier. I am sure she could help with her product line but --- WOW!!!

I would second the notion of not trying to BS a customer, if you don't know, find out rather than guess. That said, know everything there is to know about your product. You may get a EDS forum member at your counter. I have recently been very surprised at the department store make up counter to feel that I am generally more knowledgeable with regard to skin care than the associates.....

Good luck! A new job is always exciting, especially if you have a passion for it!

Melissa
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:22 am      Reply with quote
I agree with all of the above with the excepton of deacon, that clinique SA sounds cool! (she was probably just trying to hide the damage done by the clarifying toner Laughing ).. I especially go with those who said to avoid negative remarks. Everybody has some good features and I think it is a good idea to focus on those beautiful coloured eyes, lovely shaped lips or fantastic skin (if they have all three, they don't need you!).
I ould also get informed about other ranges, especially if you are also selling skincare. I was amazed that the SA at the Guerlain counter had never even heard of skinceuticals ...I mean it features regularly in the sunday supps and fashion mags, so there was no excuse!
You could also recommend the odd thing from other ranges/brands, probably NOT in the training manual, but I always feel that the SA has my best interests at heart and not her commission when that happens.
Finally givew the samples out, and don't sell 'em on ebay! We all love sample fairies! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Do some SA's REALLY sell the samples on ebay????

Am I just too gullible? I read that post and said, "Aha!" hee hee.....

(Is Clinique *really* that bad?? I never tried the line, not even in my teenage years)
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have been to sooooo many stores and asked for sample sachets and they never ever have them, but look on ebay and you can buy sample sizes (not that it's obvious, just look at the small print) of just about anything. Lets face it, these samples must come from somewhere and if you can make five quid selling a guerlain sample of midnight star, then I reckon it must be tempting (but scuzzy as well Mad )
...and yes, clinique is so bad that they use the clarifying lotion to wipe down the counter. You may as well use vodka to tone with. Except it's a waste Laughing

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |