Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

tretinion/vit.c thinned my skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skinfreak000

Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hello I am a 23 year old female and I've been prescribed tretinion 0.1 for my acne. I'm at the end of my 3rd month and my skin is thin. I don't know if it's from the vitamin c serum i've been using skinceuticals 15%. Is my skin permanently damaged? Will it thicken again. Thanks! Sad
qowpele
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
I am a 23 year old male that did renova .05 for 11 months. I stopped.

First of all. You have Got to use a high UVA protection sunscreen daily......IF you do not, the thinning you are seeing from the inevitable stripping of the stratum corneum layer of the epidermis, has left you Extremely sun sensitive. Those UVA rays that are out ALL hours of the day (even cloudy and in the winter) will be getting to you and penetrating even deeper for accelerated aging........

You need a daily sunscreen........ "I only get 15 minutes of exposure every day DOES NOT matter....... The sun does not care and that time adds Right up. UVA rays are the ones that do Not cause sun burn.... They do however cause tanning in large enough amounts (which is a sign of your body trying to protect from DNA damage).... but even if you don't get enough to totally tan, damage is still being done....

So you need a daily sunscreen not JUST a high spf either.... zinc oxide sunscreens in concentrations above 17% are the only ones effective enough for true protection Not to mention you must Not use those "invisible zinc" sunscreens as they use nanoparticles..... and because of that they do not have the ability to block out a good deal of the most damaging rays of the UVA spectrum.... Now that all of that is outta the way let's talk

Ok so you have been using retin A. Yes it will grow back if you stop using it but will likely take a few months... Unless you got a very short end of thestick and that is this... Retin A and some of its derivatives such as retinols, etc, unfortunately cause subcutaneous fat loss in a minority of people....

Once that fat is gone, you are pretty much screwed. That fat is more important to your youthful look than collagen and elastin.... Example, I have seen 19 yer olds with crows feet before but you can still tell their age despite their signs of aging. Why? Because of their subcutaneous fat in their faces.

You need that fat, without it your face sags, you'll have hollow spots in your face, etc...

Tis likely is not the case with you though. It is more than likely that you ended up with simply a thinned out stratum corneum layer of the skin. No worry it should grow back.

Best things to help it along are emu oil, and Nia 24 products as they both nourish the skin's protective barrier Smile

My opinion. If you are very big into antiaging. Daily sunscreen (even without the use of retin), and vitamin c serum. These are your best bets

A study came out recently that showed those who used sunscreen daily at the end of a 4 year trial had 24% less skin aging than people who used it only 3-4 times per week.... Imagine if those others did not use it at all or only occasionally? This means the group ho used it daily, in comparison, would have about 50% less skin aging than a group that did not use it at all.

Aging at half the rate? Sounds incredible to me..

Sunscreen will be your friend here
skinfreak000

Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
qowpele wrote:

First of all. You have Got to use a high UVA protection sunscreen daily......IF you do not, the thinning you are seeing from the inevitable stripping of the stratum corneum layer of the epidermis, has left you Extremely sun sensitive. Those UVA rays that are out ALL hours of the day (even cloudy and in the winter) will be getting to you and penetrating even deeper for accelerated aging........

You need a daily sunscreen........ "I only get 15 minutes of exposure every day DOES NOT matter....... The sun does not care and that time adds Right up. UVA rays are the ones that do Not cause sun burn.... They do however cause tanning in large enough amounts (which is a sign of your body trying to protect from DNA damage).... but even if you don't get enough to totally tan, damage is still being done....

So you need a daily sunscreen not JUST a high spf either.... zinc oxide sunscreens in concentrations above 17% are the only ones effective enough for true protection Not to mention you must Not use those "invisible zinc" sunscreens as they use nanoparticles..... and because of that they do not have the ability to block out a good deal of the most damaging rays of the UVA spectrum.... Now that all of that is outta the way let's talk

Ok so you have been using retin A. Yes it will grow back if you stop using it but will likely take a few months... Unless you got a very short end of thestick and that is this... Retin A and some of its derivatives such as retinols, etc, unfortunately cause subcutaneous fat loss in a minority of people....

Once that fat is gone, you are pretty much screwed. That fat is more important to your youthful look than collagen and elastin.... Example, I have seen 19 yer olds with crows feet before but you can still tell their age despite their signs of aging. Why? Because of their subcutaneous fat in their faces.

You need that fat, without it your face sags, you'll have hollow spots in your face, etc...

Tis likely is not the case with you though. It is more than likely that you ended up with simply a thinned out stratum corneum layer of the skin. No worry it should grow back.

Best things to help it along are emu oil, and Nia 24 products as they both nourish the skin's protective barrier Smile

My opinion. If you are very big into antiaging. Daily sunscreen (even without the use of retin), and vitamin c serum. These are your best bets

A study came out recently that showed those who used sunscreen daily at the end of a 4 year trial had 24% less skin aging than people who used it only 3-4 times per week.... Imagine if those others did not use it at all or only occasionally? This means the group ho used it daily, in comparison, would have about 50% less skin aging than a group that did not use it at all.

I have a follow up with my derm next week. I'm worried if I damaged my skin with all these chemicals. My face looks flat it's not plumped up anymore. It's like my face got smaller and it's making me feel self conscious. Since it's been 12 weeks I'm throwing the tube in the garbage. Funny you mention emu oil I just ordered that last week I'm still waiting for its arrival.
skinfreak000

Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
qowpele wrote:

I have a follow up with my derm next week. I'm worried if I damaged my skin with all these chemicals. My face looks flat it's not plumped up anymore. Its also raw and irritated on my chin area. It's like my face got smaller and it's making me feel self conscious. Since it's been 12 weeks I'm throwing the tube in the garbage. Funny you mention emu oil I just ordered that last week I'm still waiting for its arrival.
qowpele
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
well without that stratum corneum layer, your skin will be unable to retain more water thus losing some plumpness unfortunately......

Anyway like I said, retin a or not, what you are experiencing right now will end up happening in the grand scheme of things especially from sun damage

I still rest myopinion that you should wear a high UVA protection sunscreen daily. Which will protect your face for a good while
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |