Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
koyie
5% products discount

Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

Do you any suggestions for sunscreen for sensitive skin? I'm trying to find one that can go under make up but the ones that I have tried are either too oily or have a white tinge after make up application. Thanks! Very Happy
queenkatez
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
Skinceuticals SPF 20 may be a good option. It absorbs quickly and doesn't leave a white residue.

Thanks,
Katie
skin adict
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:40 am      Reply with quote
I have super sensitive skin and am allergic to chemical sunscreens so I use either Clientelle oil-free saving face sunscreen or Oleda's natural sunscreen. Both use titanium dioxide and or zinc oxide. Some people have problems with a white residue since it's a physical sunblock vs. a chemical one, but I haven't had a problem with it.
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
I just started using Eucerin Sensitive Facial Skin Extra Protective Moisture Lotion SPF 30. I don't wear makeup but after this dries it doesn't look oily or white. I just read the reviews on drugstore.com and it got 4 out of 5 stars, most people had no problem but a few did complain of a white film.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
U could try adding a few drops of dermologica solar booster to your regular moisturiser, it's great for sensitive skin and simplifies your skin care regime Wink
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:42 am      Reply with quote
My skin is not sensitive (it's actually pretty oily); however, since I'm a regular user of potent glycolic acid products, strong Vitamin C serums, and Retin-A Micro, I use products meant for sensitive skin to give my skin a break otherwise. lol So, here is a list of good sunscreens - all containing one of the 3 FDA-approved Active Ingredients - that do not cause my skin to go pink when I apply.

For the most part, you may want to steer clear of chemical sunscreens, like those containing Avobenzone ("Parsol 1789"). However, one that is notsupposed to irritate skin is Kiss My Face's Face Facter Face + Neck SPF 30. This contains Avobenzone ("Parsol 1789"), but for some reason, it gives my face a bit of a whitish cast - odd for a chemical sunblock, since usually, they are completely sheer. But it may be something to try if you prefer chemical sunscreens.

So, here is a list of physical sunblocks I truly love and do NOT provide the whitish cast so typical of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide.

MD Formulations Total Protector Color SPF 30 in Light Tint:
    Contains Zinc Oxide, which, as a physical sunblock, is famously non-irritating. Not only that, it has a tint! If you look at 9 out of 10 tinted moisturizers (expensive or otherwise), you will find that either the SPF is well below 30, or that it does not contain any of the 3 FDA-approved sunscreen ingredients. If you're going to spend the money on a tinted moisturizer, you might as well get what works. A nice, matte finish.

Clinique's Super City Block SPF 25:
    Contains titanium dioxide. You could use this sunscreen as eyedrops and it will not cause them to well up! lol Even though I avoid the sun like the plague, I am still pretty scrupulous about having sunscreen above SPF 30 from head to toe, regardless of the season. But if I'm leaving the house late in the day, I make an exception with this sunscreen. It is fantastic. While it is not advertised as having a Tint, it does, and it does a good job of evening out skin tone if this is something you need. Has a lovely matte finish.

Olay Complete Defense SPF 30 For Sensitive Skin:
    With Zinc Oxide. No tint, no matte finish - but it is not greasy, will not cause skin to flush, and does not sting the eyes if it accidently seeps in. No whitish cast!

Please feel free to e-mail me at sheila@sugarfreesheila.com if you have any more questions!

Sheila Pike-Pereyra
skin adict
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:10 am      Reply with quote
I do have sensitive skin and had a very bad reaction to Clinique's City Block. For some reason most of Clinique's line causes my skin to turn red and swell even if you just dab it on my arm.
mailnat
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Clinique (the much hated brand) has a good non-irratble sunscreen : city-block spf25 and it comes out in a light beige colour which blends in to match any skin. It's also oil-free which is great too!
koyie
5% products discount

Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:59 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your comments everyone. I think I will try Skinceuticals first and see how that goes.

I agree with you skin adict.. I have tried Clinque city block and my skin did not have a good reaction to it.

Anyone tried Babor sunscreens before?
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I had no idea Clinique was so hated. lol Why all the animosity? While I'm not a user of this line (just their Super City Block, which I love), I've honestly never had a bad experience with their products ... though I will say that not too many of their sunscreens contain the active ingredients I look for.
skin adict
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
I don't hate Clinique, I just wish I could use it without turning all red and swollen. One time the woman behind the counter put a bit of base on my hand and it immediately turned red and started to itch. She used the eye make up remover to take it off and that made it worse. Lastly she put some moisturizer on it to soothe it, my whole hand swelled up.
Sweet_Angel
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
Koyie

Have u tried La Roche Posay? I love their Fluide Extreme line. It is not available in the US. But I buy it from a Canadian store online. It is very gentle on my sensitive skin. This is a "must-keep" product Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
Angel,

I thought LRP FE is not available in Canada but available in Europe only?

Which canadian website did you order it from?

TIA!
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:16 am      Reply with quote
Yikes sorry to hear some of you reacted to Cliniques SC sunblock Shock For me it works great on my sensitive skin. Although stability is another issue. I am in the process of trying Bioderma which has the very stable ingredient Tinsorb in it. It is not available in the U.S. yet as Tinsorb hasnt been approved by the FDA (but you can purchase it online). I've read some things about the stability of U.S. s/s and it doesnt look good. Also the UVA/UVB coverage of most U.S. s/s is lacking to say the least. Bioderma makes a variety of s/s depending on your skin. Currently I am trying "Spot". I'm not sure if I like it or not yet. It is heavier in texture which is fine for winter but I'm afraid it will be too much so for summer. I havent had a reaction from it in terms of my face turning red or itching (which happens with some products Sad ). So this might be the ticket for some of you who have sensitive/reactive dry skin. There is also a Bioderma product called THP Lait SPF 30 something or another that is being reformulated. Many on MUA have raved about the original version. Can't say myself as I have never tried it, but it might be an option for me in the summer. If interested, you can view Bioderma products @ delivereddeals.com (Ive ordered from them) or physea.com Hope this helps!

Lisa
Sweet_Angel
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
mtview:

I buy it from http://www.a-world-of-perfumes-cosmetics.com/la_roche_posay_anthelios_60_xl_fluide_extreme.htm (cheapest price online)

also available at http://www.beautyhabit.com/product2550.html

I believe it is also available on ebay

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
Angel,

Thanks for the links. I know beautyhabit carries them but way over prices. I don't see an addr on the world of perfume addr nor a phone number? I am assuming that is the canadian website you are referring?

I purchased mine FE from ebay. Too bad my seller stopped selling because he offered great prices and reasonable shipping.
Dianeth
5% products discount

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
*** edited***

SPAM
skin adict
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Again Dianeth, posting your website on these threads is not making sense.
Tea
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
SugarFree Sheila--I picked up the Olay for sensitive skin and really like it! It's not oily, and doesn't migrate to the eyes.

I was very sorry to give up my Neutrogena matte sunblock, but read enough about it on this board to decide that it was time to change.

Am I the only one here with a sunblock graveyard? Embarassed Most recent dearly departed: Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream. It's positively elegant. Feels great going on, but can't bear that I have to use oil on my face to remove it--Silkia's great for this, BTW. Since I'm not a tennis player, lifeguard or otherwise engaged in solar fun, figure it's overkill anyway. Wink

So Olay it is! Please, no one say anything bad about it now that I'm committed! Very Happy
lorinoguns

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi and I appreciate all the comments and recommendations; can't wait to try a few. I really like Z-Silc, which is available at dermadoctor.com as well as on other sites. I got it from my derm. but it's cheaper online. It's great for my normal/dry/combo skin; no white shine and no breakouts either, but I'd like to find something cheaper. It's 24US.
captain lola
5% products discount

Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
SugarFreeSheila wrote:
My skin is not sensitive (it's actually pretty oily); however, since I'm a regular user of potent glycolic acid products, strong Vitamin C serums, and Retin-A Micro, I use products meant for sensitive skin to give my skin a break otherwise. lol So, here is a list of good sunscreens - all containing one of the 3 FDA-approved Active Ingredients - that do not cause my skin to go pink when I apply.

For the most part, you may want to steer clear of chemical sunscreens, like those containing Avobenzone ("Parsol 1789"). However, one that is notsupposed to irritate skin is Kiss My Face's Face Facter Face + Neck SPF 30. This contains Avobenzone ("Parsol 1789"), but for some reason, it gives my face a bit of a whitish cast - odd for a chemical sunblock, since usually, they are completely sheer. But it may be something to try if you prefer chemical sunscreens.

So, here is a list of physical sunblocks I truly love and do NOT provide the whitish cast so typical of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide.

MD Formulations Total Protector Color SPF 30 in Light Tint:
    Contains Zinc Oxide, which, as a physical sunblock, is famously non-irritating. Not only that, it has a tint! If you look at 9 out of 10 tinted moisturizers (expensive or otherwise), you will find that either the SPF is well below 30, or that it does not contain any of the 3 FDA-approved sunscreen ingredients. If you're going to spend the money on a tinted moisturizer, you might as well get what works. A nice, matte finish.

Clinique's Super City Block SPF 25:
    Contains titanium dioxide. You could use this sunscreen as eyedrops and it will not cause them to well up! lol Even though I avoid the sun like the plague, I am still pretty scrupulous about having sunscreen above SPF 30 from head to toe, regardless of the season. But if I'm leaving the house late in the day, I make an exception with this sunscreen. It is fantastic. While it is not advertised as having a Tint, it does, and it does a good job of evening out skin tone if this is something you need. Has a lovely matte finish.

Olay Complete Defense SPF 30 For Sensitive Skin:
    With Zinc Oxide. No tint, no matte finish - but it is not greasy, will not cause skin to flush, and does not sting the eyes if it accidently seeps in. No whitish cast!

Please feel free to e-mail me at sheila@sugarfreesheila.com if you have any more questions!

Sheila Pike-Pereyra

Thanks for the list here Sheila. I'm using Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Physical block, but it has a major white cast that I need to cover with foundation.

I have similar skin sensitivities to yours. I'm going to try out Anessa Sunblock from Shesiedo as well as some of these that you've listed.
maddy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hey guys-

How is the MD Formulations Total protection on oily skin?

Have just come back from being on holidays for a week and there is tons to read!

Take care guys, and thanks for any help
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 07, 2007 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Tea, Olay complete defense SPF 30 for sensitive skin is fantastic! Very light, gentle, does not make your skin whittish and saves my rosacea skin from the sun.
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 07, 2007 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
captain lola wrote:

Thanks for the list here Sheila. I'm using Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Physical block, but it has a major white cast that I need to cover with foundation.

I have similar skin sensitivities to yours. I'm going to try out Anessa Sunblock from Shesiedo as well as some of these that you've listed.

I use the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock and I think that white cast makes me look great. I'm already on the whiter end of the spectrum and I love how glowy I look with this on. Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 07, 2007 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Epicuren Discovery Zinc Oxide SPF 20

Because it is non-chemical and does not contain silicones (a combination that is increasingly difficult to find). No whitish cast, either--at least not on me.

Downsides--Expensive and not that accessible.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |