Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Anyone NOT use a toner?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Lightshox
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
Do you skip toner? If so, what benefits do you see from doing so?
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
I have been lately.
Benefits? Better penetration of actives while skin is still moist.
chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
I don't use toner most of the time. I have tried a few but I see no change when I use one. Therefore, I skip that steep and keep my money for other stuff.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
I like Paula's Choice 2% BHA clear liquid. I apply it with my fingertips; more economical. I don't use it all the time. PC markets it as toner but I think of it as treatment product/serum.

I do not like traditional toners. If I am using/buying a product I want to see results.

I skipped my PC BHA toner for many days over the last couple months of harsh winter weather. Nothing bad happened...

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Yes Autumn you are right a BHA toner would be the only type that would consider worth buying.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:14 am      Reply with quote
I used to skip toner after I read article from dermatologist saying toner isn't essential in skincare regimen. I actually did not see any negative effects without using the toner. I now sometimes use it when I do not put my skincare products right away after I cleanse my face. I use toner to remoisten my skin.
havana8

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:53 am      Reply with quote
I rarely, if ever, use a toner. What I do like doing, though, is misting products in the palm of my hand to thin them out or help them spread easier / further.
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
Haven't used a toner is years, they are very useless. Cool However, I do love the Japanese/South-Korean version of a toner: lotion, it's like a beefed up toner, makes a huge difference in terms of hydration and clarity. Best applied with hands or facial cotton. And for tiny spa treatment like a lotion mask a la Chizu Saeki - I mean, I was loving lotions before I heard about lotion mask, but with her method skin gets super glowy and translucent in 3-5 minutes. Just soak the cotton or mask tablet in lotion and slap it on. Beats vitamin C in that regard, huge claim, I know, but true.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
Jazzi, Would you have a link that you can share ? I would like to read more about that.

Thanks

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
chantrelle99 wrote:
Jazzi, Would you have a link that you can share ? I would like to read more about that.

Thanks

Wasn't sure which point you were interested in, so I just linked all of them! Bad Grin

This shop page explains more on the toner vs. lotion thing and offers examples:
http://www.ratzillacosme.com/tips/japanese-lotions/

This shows how to use the lotion mask:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0wbX7rjtec

^That pink haired lady is Chizu Saeki, Japan's skin guru. EDS has a thread about her books and philosophy somewhere...
Youtube has a ton of other videos about lotion masks. Results are clearly visible.

This is kind of the sort of cotton that works with lotions:
http://www.amazon.com/Selena-Multi-layer-Cotton-Puffs-sheets/dp/B00260T94K/

And this is the kind of mask tablet. They are compressed and expand when soaked with lotion (or whatever, people use floral waters and even juice, anything watery works):
http://www.amazon.com/BFlowerYan-Facial-Paper-Compress-Masque/dp/B00HH07ZEU/

These ones are the best I've tried. Yes, there are differences even with something as simple as a sheet of paper:
http://www.amazon.com/Kanebo-Lotion-Mask-Pads-15/dp/B003SPD3Q2

Other than that, you might want to try something like the popular Hada Labo Gokujyun lotion.
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=131318/Super-Hyaluronic-Acid-Moisturizing-Lotion-/Hada-Labo/Toners

Proper application also helps. Right after washing face, pat dry with towel. Rub palms together like a Qui Gong practitioner, take like 1-3 ml of lotion, rub between hands to warm lotion up and then apply with gentle outward swiping motions, no dragging or rubbing. And then just pat with fingers till everything absorbs (might take a while), placing hands on cheeks and forehead for a moment is nice too, warmth relaxes, increases blood flow and helps push lotion into skin instead of evaporating. Then apply moisturizer or serum or whatever to seal moisture in.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:18 am      Reply with quote
I am so surprised to realize many people do not use toner actually. I would think many would include toner in their basic skincare regimen.
BettyGoat

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:33 am      Reply with quote
I read somewhere years ago that toner doesn't do anything extra than cleansing and isn't needed. This article suggested that once your skin is clean it doesn't need any more cleaning. It's so long ago I can't remember where I read it. My new love is serums under my moisturiser. They really help to keep me hydrated as I get older.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I started this conversation after stopping use of my toner. Since I use a ph balanced cleanser and moisturizer, I feel great.

Every few nights, I use a BHA lotion and things seem to be going well so far. Better than when I was using a toner. I'll keep you posted if things change.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:34 am      Reply with quote
thanks for the detailed info Jazzi. I really appreciate it. Not often these days that I see anything on EDS that really interests me. I had read the thread about Chizu some years ago when it was posted, but you're description of the benefit of masks is stimulating me to def try it out. (using the papers with my own lotions, etc.)

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
thanks for the detailed info Jazzi. I really appreciate it. Not often these days that I see anything on EDS that really interests me. I had read the thread about Chizu some years ago when it was posted, but you're description of the benefit of masks is stimulating me to def try it out. (using the papers with my own lotions, etc.)

Just a quick add-on! When you try the lotion mask method, if you opt for the layered cotton, then do make sure that you take 2 pieces and in addition to how they apply the soaked cotton on face in video, put the other piece on neck and ears. Because after a while I realized that while my face looks with 1-2 lotions masks a day (I find it relaxing and results are so nice), there was a marked difference between face and neck. And neck needs so much TLC! Also, ears - as Chizu Saeki mentions often enough, ears get neglected, and while she recommends tips on washing and massaging them, it just makes sense to me to nurture them a bit as well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:31 am      Reply with quote
Most of the time I do not use one at all, but when I do use one from time to time after a treatment or clay mask to remove residual product I only use the Dr. H Clarifying Toner. It has been my tried and true thru the years.
I did make and use the ACV toner recipe years ago from EDS and it was a good recipe, just didn't use it up fast enough to justify the making of it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Okay I must admit that a lot of the people I spoke with and studied on the subject originally had me leaving out toners, and I did that for quite a while however since researching it and speaking to more people I have changed my mind on this. For one the toner helps the skin ph to go back to normal levels. Now the body does readjust itself and alter the ph naturally but the toners help speed this up. Secondly the toners can help with product penetration or skin cell renewal depending on what ingredients are in them. You can also use natural toners like floral waters etc and these soothe the skin (and smell great too) but you can also go to the other extreme and use things like glycolic acid etc.

For one thing one of the biggest things with using a toner is that it helps to remove any residual skin cleansing ingredients on the skin. A lot of the derms I have spoken with observed that one of the major issues many people have with their skins is caused by them not removing their cleansers properly (and it was explained to me one time that the cleanser mixes with oils on the face etc and then just sits on the skin surface – nice image).

5% products discount

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
I always thought that toner was to even out your skin tone. Now, within the last few years, people are saying it's to balance the pH of your skin.

I rarely use a toner. I am using one now because I am on the NuDerm system but afterwards, I'll probably go back to not using a toner at all. I don't see a difference in the skin and it's overkill.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:05 am      Reply with quote
One of the books that got me rethinking the whole toner thing was reading Dr Denise's book: "Dr. Denese's Secrets for Ageless Skin: Younger Skin in 8 Weeks". She does recommend toners and gives an experiment which really got me looking into it again that I'd recommend.

5% products discount

Thu May 21, 2015 6:11 am      Reply with quote
I haven't bought commercial toners for a long time. I use DIY toners these days, more for wiping off the residual cleanser off the face. I find that a base of watered down apple cider vinegar, mixed with whatever ingredient I am experimenting with, works pretty well. Such as calendula essential oil, hyaluronic acid, seaweed extract etc. I suppose the vinegar helps with the PH balancing.

I started DIY because I didn't see any big benefits to most commercial toners. For some, my very sensitive skin even got more dry or irritated.

Japanese toners (or lotions) are another story. I like them because they're typically more soothing and moisterizing, often with actives to control age spots too. I would get back to those if I want to buy toners in the future.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |