Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
I've never worn makeup before
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
almagarret
5% products discount

Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone!

I found this forum looking for reviews of the Dr. Hauschka products. I have mild breakout problems but they really bother me and I've been looking for a good skincare routine.

I am hoping someone here can give me advice on makeup. I've never worn it before but I'd like to try it. I have light brown hair with blonde highlights, green eyes, and pale, almost translucent skin with pink undertones.

I would like to find a foundation that doesn't look like heavy makeup, a blush to add some color to my cheeks, and some eyemakeup. I basically want something to even out my skin and draw a little attention to my eyes, but I don't want to look like I'm wearing a ton of make up because where I work "natural" beauty is the norm.

The products I try must not be tested on animals, and I'd prefer "natural" products. I was planning on going to an Aveda salon to try their line - does anyone have any experience with Aveda makeup? I wasn't a fan of their skin care.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!!
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi and welcome,
Since I am a make-up slut (in a good way Laughing), I hope I can help. Everyone here will offer great ideas and opinions for you.
I haven't had great success with Aveda makeup either. It seems heavy and not very "natural". I really wanted to like it, but it seemed cakey and the colors were harsh.
Lots of women on this forum have had great success with mineral makeup which is very natural and pure for sensitive skin. I haven't quite got the hang of the application of it, but everyone here will give you tips and success stories. Mineral makeup includes foundation, blush, powder, eye color so use could use it for all of your needs.
I think Bobbi Brown has very natural colors and nice textures in her line. I also love NARS, which is a line wih great colors (actually, your skin color would work great with their famous blush "orgasm" and their new lip gloss by the same name!)
Traceless by Perscriptives is a wonderful foundation, light and see-thorugh. You may also want to try a tinted moisturizer, since you want a light finish. A tinted sunscreen might work also, since you have such light, transparent skin.
A lip stain or gloss instead of lipstick to start would be good and there are very natural "eye glosses" on the market that are more natural than eye shadow.
One of the great things about makeup (rather than skin care) is that you can have lots of fun with it! So try different things and experiment with color. Go to department store cosmetics counters and check out the women behind the counter. If you like their makeup, ask them to apply some to you. Tell them you are new to this and want to just enhance what you have. Or stop by Sephora, if you live near one, for a full day of play!
You may want to stay away from Mac brand cosmetics until you feel more comfortable with color. They have fun products but they tend to be theatrical, not natural. Hope this helps. Let us know how you do.
Also, most all of the name makeup lines are not animal tested anymore. So you should be safe with any brand you choose. Good luck, Joani
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:32 am      Reply with quote
Hi
I'm not a make-up expert either, but if you search for some reviews of Jane Iredale mineral foundation you'll see it's very natural looking and the ingredients are natural minerals and some people say it's good for either covering up their breakouts or reducing or stopping them.

It's skincare foundation so it's actually good for your skin.
Mabsy

Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:49 am      Reply with quote
I would also recommend the Jane Iredale mineral foundation. I have brown hair, brown eyes, very pale skin and I also don't like to wear heavy makeup. I rotate between the things that I use but for quite some time now I have stuck to the Jane Iredale Pressed Base with a bit of Jane Iredale blush (in Dubonnet) and then set that with a face spritz. In terms of eye makeup I just use a wash of Stila eyeshadow (or nowadays, Stila eye shimmer powder) and a coat of mascara on curled lashes. Then finish off with some lipgloss over a lip liner and that's it.

I also like mixing Dr Hauschka Bronzing Concentrate with a moisturiser and using that as a tinted moisturiser. That evens out my skin tone and gives me a bit of a "I do have blood flow to the face" look. I can then just finish that off with some powder (just bought some T.LeClerc - OMG! Love this!) and I'm done.

I'm not sure if Dermalogica test on animals (I don't think so) but if they don't then their Sheer Tint Moisture is also a very good alternative to foundation. Just enough color to even out the skin and give a bit of a glow - but looks very natural.

HTH
k.a.t.
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
MABSY, you catch my eye everytime you say "OMG" about a product that I haven't tried. Please tell us more your divine T LeClerc powder.

ALMAGARRET, for an introduction to makeup, check out some makeup books. Kevyn Aucoin wrote some great ones that are as insightful as they are fun to read. "The Art of Makeup" and "Face Forward" are definitely worth owning, as I refer to mine frequently for inspiration.

For a subtle look for your green eyes, focus on complementary and analogous colors. Complementary colors will make your eye color stand out. To make your eyes will 'pop', think pink, purple & peach. Analogous colors, on the other hand, will create a low-contrast harmony. Think subtle greens, teals & golds.

You could use a light pink or peach as a base color to facilitate blending. A light pearl or white gold would be a great highlighter for brow bones and inner corners.

For the cheeks, any color, that when applied resembles your natural flush is a great color. A light-shade bronzer is a great cheek color for everyday use.

You mentioned Dr. Hauschka, so you may like to check out their makeup line. The foundation wears like a tinted moisturizer, but with a bit more coverage. I have used the shade 01 for fair skin and it does have pink undertones (too pink for me, and the scent put me off). I absolutely adore the mascara and have been intrigued by the eye shades. The entire Dr Hauschka line available here at my local grocery store, Whole Foods Market. If the store in Bellevue, WA is near you, check out the line there.

You also mentioned Aveda and I, too, did not care for the skin care line. The makeup line was equally disappointing to me. Like JOANI, I just found the formulations to be unrefined. In particular, the eye shadows were not super-fine as I like...a bit clumpy with clumsy packaging.

In addition to Dr Hauschka and Jane Iredale, you may like to check out Becca Cosmetics, a line focused on creating a natural, flawless look. This line does not test on animals and there should be a sales counter at your local Nordstrom. Try making an appointment with a sales rep or makeup artist on a slow day so that the person can give you full attention.

In general, one cannot know if a color will work until it is tried. One of my favorite colors is a horrid, forest green. It looks fabulous next to my hazel eyes and creates some real depth. Who'd thunk?!?

Kevyn Aucoin:http://kevynaucoin.com/
Dr. Hauschka:http://www.drhauschka.com/
Becca:http://www.beccacosmetics.com/
Jane Iredale:http://www.janeiredale.com/
T. LeClerc:http://www.t-leclerc.com/
Mabsy

Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
k.a.t. - I posted a mini review of it in the Product Reviews section Wink But, to summarise, it is just a very finely milled powder that does not look like you have anything on when you're wearing it. It beats my YSL semi-loose powder (mum will be happy as she'll now inherit it Smile). The T.LeClerc is as finely milled as the Jurlique Rose Dust (which I also love to bits but have not used for a while due to using JI).
k.a.t.
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:16 am      Reply with quote
Oops, I missed that one. Thanks for the redirect, Mabsy.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:33 am      Reply with quote
As far as blush and eyemakeup Dr. Hauschka has some very nice and subtle products. Since you have green eyes I definitely recommend the eye pencil in Grazioso. It is a silvery-green and it REALLY brings out the color in your eyes. If you pair this with a nice taupe or camel eyeshadow (I use camel by Ecco Bella) your eyes will really pop out. The Dr. H eyeshadows are nice and VERY subtle/natural looking, although I find them a bit too subtle for my taste. The lipsticks are wonderful -- they are very moisturizing although the color selection is not so great. I've tried the Dr. H foundations and I've found that they simply don't have a shade light enough for my fair skin, so I think I'll be trying out Jane Iredale sometime in the very near future. Smile
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
mabsy,

you mentioned that you use Dr Hauschka Bronzing Concentrate with a moisterizer, do you mean mixing the concentrate with a moisterizer and apply it on your face?

i have the asian yellow undertone skin color, and i don't want to look too dark (i look "dirty" when im dark) does the concentrate make your skintone alot darker? or is it just very subtle?

thank you.
Mabsy

Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:13 am      Reply with quote
aprilha - yep, I just mix it in with moisturiser - you can use more or less depending on the shade you want. For me (I'm quite pale) this just gives a nice healthy glow rather than actually making my skin look tanned.
almagarret
5% products discount

Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, thank you everyone! Wearing makeup seems a lot less intimidating now.

I'm definitely going to have some fun as one poster suggested and try the NARS blush/lip stains and Dr. Hauschka eyeliner.

One more question, though:
Any tips on what color of the Jane Iredale foundation I should get? I kind of like my pale skin and don't want to look much darker. Do I want the liquid kind or the pressed base kind?
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
you can get samples of the powders for $3 at skin-etc.com

The colours do vary between the different types. For example, warm silk pressed was to light for me, but in the liquid minerals it's slightly dark....and warm sienna seems to work for me in the loose.

I highly recommend getting the samples first, or going to a salong that sells it to test it out.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:22 am      Reply with quote
chimera wrote:
Since you have green eyes I definitely recommend the eye pencil in Grazioso. It is a silvery-green and it REALLY brings out the color in your eyes.
People are always telling me I have the most "gorgeous and unusual" green eyes (they're kinda dark jade but with flecks of gold and silver), so I'm always on the look out for eye makeup that will really make them pop, so thanks for the hint! I never, ever would have thought to wear a color like this -- usually I wear eyeliners in the purple family....I'm going to Whole Foods on the way home and they carry the entire Dr. H line so I'm definitely going to check this out! Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |