Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Freckles and sun damage even with sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
EyesWithoutaface
5% products discount

Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
I am a very fair red haired woman with a tendency to freckle if sun exposed. The last year I have been in the sun more often (hour at a time) but I'm always careful to have sunscreen (SPF 50+) on my face and exposed areas. Even with sunblock I have noticed a lot of freckles, sun damage and hyperpigmentation on my face and arms.

This is frustrating because I am spending a lot of time using antiaging products (retin-a at night, vit c serum in the AM). I see a lot of fair skinned girls on the beach that look fine.

Am I basically cursed to avoiding all sun exposure? Isn't "a little" sun healthy? Will any sunscreen entirely prevent freckles and sun damage (SPF 70+)?
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
I live in Queensland, Australia, the capital of skin cancers. We never rely just on sunscreen but are always told to wear a hat as well.
You do need a small amount of sunlight but it should be done early morning or late afternoon when the UV index is at its lowest.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure what sunscreen you are using, but ideally it is one that protects against UVB and UVA. Look for both a high SPF and a high PPD. Be sure you are applying enough and reapply frequently. There's the rule of a "shot glass" sized dose for the body.

I tend to freckle as well. Frankly I've found sun avoidance and covering up to be best.
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:08 pm      Reply with quote
EyesWithoutaface wrote:
I am a very fair red haired woman with a tendency to freckle if sun exposed. The last year I have been in the sun more often (hour at a time) but I'm always careful to have sunscreen (SPF 50+) on my face and exposed areas. Even with sunblock I have noticed a lot of freckles, sun damage and hyperpigmentation on my face and arms.

This is frustrating because I am spending a lot of time using antiaging products (retin-a at night, vit c serum in the AM). I see a lot of fair skinned girls on the beach that look fine.

Am I basically cursed to avoiding all sun exposure? Isn't "a little" sun healthy? Will any sunscreen entirely prevent freckles and sun damage (SPF 70+)?

What color is your hyperpigmentation? I too am a redhead with not white white skin but I would say fair. I have brown eyes and I do tan but it takes a while. I try to stay out of the sun but recently I've been out in the sun without sunscreen. In years past, I would start accumulating a lot of freckles on my nose and cheeks. But recently I haven't noticed any freckles at all instead I've been seeing a few of these weird white patches of skin on the sides of my nose and on my cheeks that are each about the size of a fingernail. When I try to cover it with concealer or bronzer, it won't cover at all. I wonder if it's hyperpigmentation?
sar9876
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:30 am      Reply with quote
I'm like you and it's so high maintenance. I try to stay out of the sun, but when I go, I layer a chemical sunscreen and then a physical sunscreen.

I always get freckles with chemical sunscreens, so I don't think their UVA protection is high enough. I haven't tried the mexoryal ones though, to be fair. Try a zinc one on top though!
Lisiana
5% products discount

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:44 am      Reply with quote
Do not go out immediately after applying sunscreen It takes the time to activate its ingredients use in it. I am using Dermaxsol sunscreen and I'm happy with that. Surprised
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:10 am      Reply with quote
Lisiana wrote:
Do not go out immediately after applying sunscreen It takes the time to activate its ingredients use in it. I am using Dermaxsol sunscreen and I'm happy with that. Surprised

There is no waiting required with mineral (physcial) sunscreens.

5% products discount

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:54 am      Reply with quote
I have fair, freckle prone skin and find that physical sunscreens work much better for me. I have been using Josie Maran 47 SPF daily for the past few years and my skin loves it. I do not like sun exposure and seek shade by wearing hats, and carrying a parasol when out in the sun.
EyesWithoutaface
5% products discount

Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the answers I will give more zinc oxide a try. My favorite has been the Devita Solar Protective Moisturizer which is a very pure formulation with zinc oxide. A little price I wonder if I can find a cheaper equivalent without all the chemicals.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
EyesWithoutaface wrote:
Thanks for the answers I will give more zinc oxide a try. My favorite has been the Devita Solar Protective Moisturizer which is a very pure formulation with zinc oxide. A little price I wonder if I can find a cheaper equivalent without all the chemicals.

Honestly, if you have a sunscreen that works and your skin likes...I would stick with it. I have purchased many sunscreens over the years and they are unsuitable for my face. I end up using them on my hands!

One thing I do is apply a chemical sunscreen first. I like La Roche Posay Hydraphase UV 30. (I have the Canadian version with Mexoryl.) Then I apply a physical one over it. I have a couple of tubes of Paula's Choice Resist UV 30. It is tinted zinc oxide. The two together work well.

If you want to try another sunscreen, I would try to get samples or a small trial size.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:01 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |