Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

thinning hair
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
marcia36
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi really looking for some advice for the last few months my hair has been thinning terribly. I am noticing my scalp is showing much more and small patches over my head where hair is barely there . If i brush my hair in certain parten i can hide it so im not going bald but this is very distressing. I believe it is my hormones changing that is causing it as i am 41 now and really am noticing changes especially in the way i look . I just cant seem to look nice ever. Even using the best skin care. My hair is aging me . What can i do about it . Really need help please xx
maggie_p
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:17 am      Reply with quote
Stress and diet have a huge influence on the hair. Hair often starts falling of when under stress and if you are restricting calorie intake, it is quite likely you are missing some important nutrients (or they could be missing even when not restricting calories) - MSM, Biotin. You could try getting supplements for hair, skin and nails. When getting supplements ensure that there is not too much vitamin A and D (can cause toxicity), I am mentioning that because I bought one brand because it was a good price, and when I checked vitamin A content it was too high - straight into toxic category!

I find that massaging the scalp is also quite helpful (you can use your fingers/fists in circles trying to cover the entire scalp, pulling hair near the root, until your entire head becomes warm). Within 1-2 weeks of daily massage, you should notice new hair growth. You can try parting the hair and looking at the number of tiny hairs and then check that after 2 weeks, you will be amazed.
marcia36
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi thanks for your reply . I have a good diet already always have and i have tried massage but it has not helped. I have been massaging emu oil into scalp but no difference. I really do believe mine is hormonal. Lack of some i think . Thank you again xx
maggie_p
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Sorry to hear that this didn't work... I am similar age as you, and I've been taking maca root (Rainforest Foods Organic Gelatinised Maca Root 5:1) for 6 months. Due to stress, my periods became irregular, I even had several hot flushes that got me quite scared, I didn't realize what was happening. Everything is fine now... I didn't connect that with hair (maybe it had an impact), but maybe it does the trick for you. It started working hormonally for me within 2 months...

It shouldn't be taken if there is history of estrogen related cancers...
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:43 am      Reply with quote
This is a blog from a naturopathic doctor on hormones and hair loss.

http://www.larabriden.com/things-to-know-about-female-hair-loss/

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
I posted this on another thread, but even though I am a believer in natural treatments, I recommend going to a dermatologist for a scalp biopsy.

Once you know the source of the problem, you can try natural treatments, but stress vs. autoimmune vs. hormonal causes have very different treatments, so it's best you know what' s going on.
marcia36
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi thanks for the replies. I am going to doctor tomorrow and going to ask him to do blood tests. I went before but he just said im too young for menopause. I am regular every month 24-29 days but have seen and felt other changes. This being the worst so far . Maggi p i was looking up the maca root and there is mixed reviews. Did it help grow your hair back by normalising your hormones like halting peri menopause? I have read that it can do this which would be great but i find that hard to beleive . I have also seen a lot of good reviews on regaine but can have side effects so that worries me. I am willing to give the maca a go but would like to know what it did for you? Thanks x
maggie_p
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Great that you are going to see the doctor, it is best to be certain what is going on.

For me, I am not certain what caused my hair loss, there are always a lot of things happening to all of us, so I will try to describe my experience chronologically.
- stress, hair loss (all over, no pattern), periods oscillate +/-5 days (not typical for me), gained weight - 3 months
- started looking into hair loss, added essential oils (rosemary, lavander) to my usual hair mask (boost hair growth), added scalp massage and started dieting - 2 months, it seemed to be working, hair loss decreasing and new hair growing.
- hot flushes - 1 month - investigated that that is connected to oestrogen, several ideas there, could be provoked by diet (I wasn't on severe diet but who knows), by stress... I don't really remember what was happening with hair loss around that time, was quite preoccupied with that
- a friend recommended maca as an idea, so I bought it and it took 1 month to stop hot flushes after 2 months I think everything is fine again. I found this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3614576/. And since I am thorough and read everything I can find, I started using iodine supplements as well (found iodine is used for prevention of cancers and regulation of hormones, several books about it on Amazon).

During that time, my hair stopped falling out, and there was a lot of new growth. I attributed that to scalp massage (maybe wrongly).

Anyway, now, several months later, pm halted, everything looks ok and hair is growing everywhere (I am still doing massage and adding these essential oils to my usual oils once per week or once every 2 weeks). A few more greys but c'est la vie Smile

I wish you lots of luck!
marcia36
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi thank so much for explaining all that info . I am going to give the massage another go and add lavender and rosemary in to my emu oil. Also i will order the maca tomorrow. When u say iodine do u mean as a supplement or medication from doctor? U symptoms do sound very similar to mine. Do you also feel that since the pm has stopped u are looking younger i have heard this from some forums about the maca. Xx
sar9876
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:28 am      Reply with quote
You could try nizoral. If its androgenetic hair loss, it may help a bit. Helped me. It's a bit greasy for my taste, but I leave it on for 5 minutes anyway. It helps me a lot.
marcia36
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi thanks i will look in to that also x
maggie_p
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:36 am      Reply with quote
I have bought iodine supplements. If it is easy for you, I would definitely suggest going to the doctor for blood work, there are quite a few hormones that can have impact on hair.
In terms of iodine, I found that one must be below 1.1 mg per day... RDA is 0.14mg but that is likely too low, and a lot of articles suggest around 500 mg is not harmful so that is the dose that I am taking (well 1000 mg every other day). Maca contains iodine, but trace amount, the brand that I suggested has 5.2 mcg (1000mcg = 1mg). I don't eat fish or seafood, so decided to supplement and key drive for that was that it decreases breast tissue sensitivity to estrogen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_deficiency#cite_note-Cannvan_Netten2000-Cool.
Anyway, so much about iodine.

For maca, I am certain that it helped with sleeping (it took me several hours to fall to sleep and was exhausted, after a week of maca, I fell asleep fairly quickly), I didn't have a huge boost in energy (I always took only 1 pill, since I am a bit fearful about influencing hormones)...

About the skin, as usual, I don't know how to respond since I have started doing everything I could for my skin around the same time when I started maca (weight loss caused some facial sagging) - retin-A, I was already derma rolling but increased the roller size, added facial exercise, joined this forum, improved facial massage (learned new techniques recommended here)... Small financial cost, but time-wise, I am bankrupt Rolling Eyes

So, 4 months later (and 2-3 months of facial exercise, 1 month of facial massage) - retin-A uglies phase behind me, skin looks well (some areas perfect, some with smaller pores), a bit firmer (subtle), face more toned (subtle), I don't see any changes in freckles and hyper pigmentation (maybe there are some, only I can't see it yet) and have 2 less wrinkles on my forehead (2 remain). I had these 4 since mid thirties, not deep but present, so that part is visible. My 11s (well 1 line, I don't have 2) looks wider but flatter and on facial exercise forum they call it wrinkle flattening so I am hopeful for that one... Also, summer came, so skin is definitely fantastic compared to 6 months ago (no more central heating).
Friends tell me I look well rested Smile

I am sorry I can't point to one thing only, but when I have an issue, I usually attack from all sides I can think of...
marcia36
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks again x
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |