Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Paula's Choice sunscreens really SPF 30?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
I posted this question in the Product Review forum and thought I'd ask it here also. I recently received 3 Paula's Choice mineral sunscreen samples and they are all rated SPF30 even though they all contain different percentages of zinc oxide alone or a combo with titanium dioxide.
Resist Super Light: zinc oxide 13%
Skin Recovery: zinc 3.12%, titanium 3.85%
Hydralight: zinc 6%, titanium 2.32%

Does anyone know if these are "minimum" percentages to achieve SPF 30? BTW, all three are cosmetically elegant formulas, surprisingly easy to apply/blend with no greasy, pasty aftermath.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:29 am      Reply with quote
Here is an article explaining how sunscreen ratings are analyzed.

http://thetriplehelixian.com/2013/04/25/the-meaning-of-spf-and-how-antioxidants-and-anti-inflammatories-can-skew-exaggerate-and-mask-those-ratings/

I had samples of all three of those PC sunscreens. I like the PC Resist best. (Reviewed separately.)

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the link. I'll have to read it more than once. Smile
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:42 am      Reply with quote
Zinc Oxide in Resist Super Light is of nano-particle that I don't use because the UVA protection of nano Zinc Oxide is weak.

http://www.ewg.org/2015sunscreen/report/nanoparticles-in-sunscreen/

"......The shape and size of the particles affect sun protection? The smaller they are, the better the SPF protection and the worse the UVA protection. Manufacturers must strike a balance: small particles provide greater transparency but larger particles offer greater UVA protection......"

http://www.paulaschoice.co.uk/resist-super-light-daily-wrinkle-defense-spf-30.html
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Summer - How do you define "worse for UVA protection?" A significantly larger percentage of UVA rays getting through? Faster degradation of ingredient so must be applied more often? Must be applied thicker? Sorry I'm such a dunce. Sunscreens are the most challenging products for me to understand, and even more challenging to find one that works for me.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Jax,

I quoted it from EWG.

From other sources, all say that the UVA protection of nano Zinc Oxide is very little.
cynthia 79

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
I have no idea how they are formulated, but I feel PC's tinted resist does not protect my skin well enough in the summer.
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
Now I worry. I wish I were a scientist so I could better understand these products. I've used so many brands over the years and many didn't protect like I thought they should, like Devita Solar Body. Others were too white or too smelly. At one time I was sure that chemical formulas were actually promoting brown spots. I hate the idea of having to wear a ski mask when it's 90 degrees and sunny.

Cynthia, did you burn or freckle with the Resist?
cynthia 79

Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
I don't freckle or burn, but I noticed my melasma/discolorations getting worse. I use Retin-A, however so I need a lot of protection from the sun. I usually use the Obagi Sunshield Matte spf 50, and midday I apply powder sunscreen on top. I also try to wear a hat/visor whenever possible in the sun. When I switched to the Paula's choice resist tinted spf 30, I noticed more discoloration with the same routine. It is a nice product, however.
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
Cynthia - Melasma is a tough nut to crack, so you are an excellent gauge of how a sunscreen is working. I imagine you can tell immediately if a screen isn't up to snuff. I recently moved from the midwest to a desert climate where it's sunny all the time, and really hot in the summer. High heat alone can exacerbate my discoloration. I think I might just stick to the Suzanne Somers sunscreen I got recently even though it goes on a bit heavy. But at least it's not white and I think it does protect.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |