Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coconut oil around eyes
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
EyesWithoutaface
5% products discount

Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using a tiny dab of coconut oil around my eyes as a moisturizer for several months. I've noticed when I skip it, my eye area is noticeably drier than ever.

I heard a skin doctor say that coconut and other oils can actually dissolve natural lipids leading to dry skin in the long run.

Has anyone experienced drier skin using natural oils?
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
I personally like using oil(s) around eyes. I apply treatment product first and then later a bit of oil. The oil helps seal in the treatment product and provide a barrier.

It can appear shiny or greasy so I only do this at night.

I have not tried coconut oil around eyes as I am sensitive. Coconut oil does work well for hair and cuticles.

I do like rosehip oil, argan oil, squalane and even plan Aquaphor around eyes.

What doctor advised not using oil?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:18 am      Reply with quote
For me coconut oil is too heavy. I use Vit E oil around my eyes and neck before applying either my Monsia day moisturizer or night repair cream. It is non greasy and helps smooth skin. I am going to start applying it to my hands at bedtime to see if it will help smooth the skin on my hands.
EyesWithoutaface
5% products discount

Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, I'll try some of the lighter oils, I do have argan. However I'm beginning to suspect that topical oils are not ideal for most skin even though they are "natural".

The "doctor" is Adiel Tel-Oren. Despite his shady credentials I've heard him lecture twice and found him to be extremely knowledgable. His skin looked quite good up close.

Oils should be refrigerated as oxidation happens much sooner than commonly known. Most oils people consume are rancid.
ZiaSarina
5% products discount

Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut oil is known to trigger acne is many people. It gives me whiteheads. I use Passionfruit seed oil around my eyes.
Ashster

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
EyesWithoutaface wrote:
I heard a skin doctor say that coconut and other oils can actually dissolve natural lipids leading to dry skin in the long run.

Has anyone experienced drier skin using natural oils?
I used to use coconut oil on my facial skin a few years ago, and from the looks of it, it didn't make any positive difference in my skin. The same lines/wrinkles that were there before are still there. I've heard elsewhere that people experience a drying effect with coconut oil. I suspect it has to do with the fatty acids composition of coconut oil, which is probably not compatible with the lipids in your skin.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:11 am      Reply with quote
I use unpetroleum jelly during the daytime as a barrier between my vitamin c serum and bb cream. I know it's a strange product to use on the face.....but it helps me for some reason. It is mostly coconut oil and castor oil. I haven't noticed any long term drying yet, but then again, my skin is very strange. LOL!

When I was younger I suffered from inflammatory cystic acne. Maybe it's helped my skin because of the antibacterial activity of the coconut oil? Idk. I imagine it's not the best thing for more mature skin. I usually use more exotic oils at night instead of the day. Wish I could be of more help.
EyesWithoutaface
5% products discount

Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Castor oil sound interesting. I know it is used in eyedrops so it is compatible with the eye. Coconut oil can make vision blurry which is why I only used it at night.
Beckie

Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:03 am      Reply with quote
One thing about coconut oil: molecular weight. It is a heavy oil, it cannot penetrate skin, so it sits on the surface. It adjusts pH, creating breading ground for bacteria. Did someone mentioned acne as a side effect? Guess why.

I recall visiting a resort island, where men and women were using coconut oil on their braids. I asked: Why? What is the benefit? They simply said it was to disguise the smell of unwashed hair. As they do not shampoo the braids daily. At a very close look, I have noticed acne due to ingrowing hair (men) and acne on women. What can I say.

Area around eyes is very gentle. Only well balanced products should be applied. There is a saying: if you do not want to put it into your eyes, do not put it on.
Lisiana
5% products discount

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:42 am      Reply with quote
Coconut Oil has many amazing health and skin benefits. I read somewhere that coconut oil is also used as an eye-makeup remover.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |