Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Crepey/wrinkly undereye caused by Retin-A
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
prothulesia

Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone

So long story short, I developed crepey/crinkly skin with wrinkles running down my lower lash lines after ONE application of Retin-A (1.0%, albeit). I don't know what possessed me to use it there because I wasn't even dissatisfied with this area Sad

I keep reading that this is uglies/dehydrated skin and that it should resolve on its own but it's been almost a year and there has been very little change in appearance.

I've moisturized on and off but haven't really been consistent for fear of doing more harm than good. I'm looking for insight and suggestions from you anyone whose been through something similar because this is starting to depress the f outta me. I'm only 27 and this makes me look way older.
maggie_p
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
I'm very sorry this happened to you. Skin under the eyes is much thinner then the rest of the face and retin-A is quite harsh so unless you have used it on your face for at least 6 months I wouldn't recommend trying it on under eye area...
Anyway, what is done is done... The skin can bounce back, don't worry.
I would recommend gentle peels - 5% acid at most, there are quite simple ones (Clearasil pads work for me), sunscreen definitely - due to retin-A that skin is now much more sensitive and some rich moisturiser for the area (my favourite now is Moisturising Eye Cream 25g With Emu Oil). It might take some time until you find products that work for you, but you are young and skin will bounce back!
Also, please use sunglasses.

Good luck!
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:55 am      Reply with quote
prothulesia wrote:
Hi everyone

So long story short, I developed crepey/crinkly skin with wrinkles running down my lower lash lines after ONE application of Retin-A (1.0%, albeit). I don't know what possessed me to use it there because I wasn't even dissatisfied with this area Sad

I keep reading that this is uglies/dehydrated skin and that it should resolve on its own but it's been almost a year and there has been very little change in appearance.

I've moisturized on and off but haven't really been consistent for fear of doing more harm than good. I'm looking for insight and suggestions from you anyone whose been through something similar because this is starting to depress the f outta me. I'm only 27 and this makes me look way older.

What are you using to moisture? I would be consistent with a product that works for you and I would not do gentle peels at this time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:22 am      Reply with quote
All you need is a really good eye cream.

I like the following eye creams:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/valmont-l-elixir-des-glac-p_2738.htm

http://www.forlled-boutique.ro/eye-cream.html

Here is a list of all eye moisturizers recommended by Beautypedia:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews?pageNumber=1&pageSize=24&treenodeid=79364c9e-6a6b-4b48-bfde-4652b6dc363b&sort=price&direction=desc&rating=3

prothulesia wrote:
Hi everyone

prothulesia

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:
What are you using to moisture? I would be consistent with a product that works for you and I would not do gentle peels at this time.

I've tried rose hip oil and Cerave pm. The former made my eyelids puff up (all oils I've tried have done this actually) and the latter causes irritation.

I recently ordered some squalane so I'll be trying that shortly.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:06 am      Reply with quote
While I like oils, I do not apply on eye lids. It does seem to cause puffiness for me. I am ok with a small amount on the brow bone but definitely not on the lid itself. I apply a drop under eye area only.

I would avoid any actives at this time. I would look for a bland eye cream or cream that moisturizes. You want to repair the moisture barrier. The CeraVe cream (tub or tube) would work better than the PM version that has niacinamide.

I had irritation from Green Cream level 9 years ago that took months to repair. I repaired the damage by consistently moisturizing and not using any actives. I like to spray mineral water and then apply the moisturizer.

Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:
I would avoid any actives at this time. I would look for a bland eye cream or cream that moisturizes. You want to repair the moisture barrier.

Do you have any recs for bland moisturizers? I have naturally oily skin so I've never felt the need for one.

Would khiel's avocado oil eye cream be a good choice for someone in my situation?
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:36 am      Reply with quote
I have not used the Khiel's eye cream but it looks ok from the ingredient list.

http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/kiehls/_/Creamy-Eye-Treatment-with-Avocado

I would avoid fragrance, essential oils, niacinamide (Cerave PM) and any exfoliates/acids.

Some plain bland creams include CeraVe cream, Eucerin and Cetaphil available at the drugstore. You can even apply an oil over it to help keep in the moisture.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |