Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Skin looks worse after facial exercises
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Peter Pan

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Hello everybody,

I am new here on this forum.

I have been doing facial exercises for three days now. Not very long but I have noticed that my face looks worse. So I'm not sure if I should continue. I mostly want to get rid of my nasolabial fold. My dad has very noticeable nasolabial folds and lately I saw that mine were getting quite noticeable too, so before they get worse I want to do something about it.

I didn't have wrinkles there though (or lines), they really looked like wide folds. Makes me have a bit of a sad look. But now after 3 days of exercise I do have lines or wrinkles there. And sudden lines also appeared on my forehead which I didn't have before and also under my eyes a bit. Is this normal on a third day of exercise or should I stop?

Besides that my face is extremely irritated. My face has always been extremely sensitive. With certain exercises where I had to put resistance with my fingers on my face, it's just too harsh on my skin. Today my cheeks are very red and painful, and everything I put on my skin really burns.

The exercises I have done:
Pufferfish face: Moving air from one cheek to the other.

Lips over teeth, mouth wide open, then smile and push down with fingers on top of cheeks.

And fingers in nasolabial folds, right next to nostrils, then smile and softly massage the nasolabial fold.

My skincare product:
Vichy Retinol HA, high concentrate.
Therapy, anti-aging formula European Blending day cream.

I hope somebody can tell give me advice about wether I should continue or stop, and if the exercises I did were good or not (or the products I use).

Oh yeah, my nickname might make you think I'm male, but I'm officially female, I just never felt female, I've always felt more like a boy.

Thank you very much Smile
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Which exercises/program are you doing? How old are you?

3 days isn’t long but in the beginning most of us have gone 40 plus years without handling our faces, and then we start out and our skin doesn’t know whats happening and shows signs of stress. Completely normal. Now the fact your face is extremely sensitive means that any kind of physical manipulation is going to show up early on. So its not a major surprise. If you stop now you will only encounter the same thing when you start up again, but you may want to exercise every other day so as to not stress your skin out.

Depending on how old you are – you may want to choose a more softer/gentler program but trying to design your own at the get go is never a good idea because you end up creating problems rather than solving them.

Retinol products are not the best choice for someone with sensitive skin and that may be a reaction too you are having at the same time as manipulating your face.
Peter Pan

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Thank you very much for your response TheresaMary,

I have found a program on Youtube, called Facerobics, that I have been doing. Except for the pufferfish face exercise. I found that somewhere else online.

I am 38 years old.

Yeah my face is very sensitive for everything, like creams, and to the touch also, and cold wind etc. I always have to be very careful with what I put on my face as well. The retinol HA from Vichy didn't burn on my face before though, only today now my face is so irritated.

Maybe I have to do the exercises a bit more careful, and maybe with oil on my face to prevent irritating my skin.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:48 am      Reply with quote
At 38 years old you are a baby. I didn’t start facial exercises till I hit 50 and then it was after desperation of having lost a load of weight rapidly and my face was hanginging places (literally).

So if you know your face is sensitive you have to be realistic here with what has happened. You started using retinol which is notorious for upsetting skins and you were lucky that you found a product that worked for your skin. You then started challenging it even more by adding facial exercises. I’d go easier and not try to over challenge things if I were you.
Peter Pan

Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:46 am      Reply with quote
Yeah I think you are right indeed. I'm going to take a step back, and take it a bit easier Smile
otherloulou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi peter Very Happy

I agree that you simply need to allow your face to rest and repair the tissues that the training has broken down. If you ran a marathon yesterday you wouldn't be on top form to run one today; you'll benefit over the longer term, your lungs, heart etc won't get less and less able to cope, quite the reverse.

What's happening right now is a sign you could do with a rest, not an indication that your face is in decline. But don't worry, even if you don't rest, your skin will adapt sooner or later, but I'd recommend taking it easy at first, simply because you'll look better short term. Either way you'll reap benefits long term. Your facial muscles don't get injured like your skeletal muscles, but they get tired!

All best,

Loulou

Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Thank you very much otherloulou Smile
wenning
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 05, 2019 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
If you massage your face with your fingers and make your face ache, it may be that you put too much effort into it. Stop massage and let the skin recover. Use a smooth scraping board to massage the face, so that it won't hurt the face.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |