Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Feedback From DIY Vitamin C Serum; Is It Working?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Hey everyone!

So I've been experimenting with a homemade vitamin C serum, simply vitamin C powder (ascorbic acid) and distilled water. I just mix it in a cup, use a paper towel to rub it all over my face and just leave it until it dries, then rinse.

But I was wondering, how can I be sure it's working? If it stings a little bit (not too much or I'd reduce the ratio), does that mean it's working? I guess a small portion of it might not dissolve because I get a bit of grain left on my face.

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: I prepare a new, small batch every day since it's so easy to make.
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:37 am      Reply with quote
You can do it that way as that is the way I started out...but you might want to heat the water and then wait until it cools and make certain the Vit c completely dissolves. Sometimes it takes a while.
And you should try to rub it in and not just leave it wet ....and if you're going to be washing it off then you should give it a little more time..like 30 minutes.
The best thing, though, is to make a serum that you are inclined to leave on. It's really not that much more trouble.
When it's working you won't have to ask if it is.
johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Alright, great advice, I'll heat it a bit from now on, thanks!

Also I suppose I could just leave it on, no problem. Or at least until I stop feeling the slight burning sensation.

I'm actually using it under my eyes for some slight crepey (I think?) skin, but most of the irritation is on my cheeks.
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
What % are you using? If it's irritating you than maybe you should start with a lower % and work your way up.
I do 20% easily but then my skin isn't particularly sensitive. I never really needed to work up to 20% but some people do.
johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Well I took 1/4 teaspoon of VC powder, then mixed in 1 tablespoon of distilled water, but this gave me no feeling at all, so I decided to try going up to the 1/2 teaspoon along with 1 tablespoon of distilled water, thinking that such a small increase would give me only a very, very slight sensation. This one stung just a little bit more than I was expecting, so next time I'll probably just do a little bit less and hopefully that will be perfect.
CindiLou
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:03 am      Reply with quote
Please don't go stronger than 20%. I've burnt my skin with 25% & it wasn't good!
I make mine with just distilled water & i apply to my face like i would any other serum. I don't wash it off.
johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah that sounds like what I keep hearing, I'll try that.

By the way, I also make a distilled water/MSM serum that I use after the vitamin C serum, is there any reason I couldn't simply COMBINE the two? Maybe for distribution purposes it would be best to keep them separate, I don't know, but MSM is water soluble like vitamin C.
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:24 am      Reply with quote
Keep in mind when you go experimenting around that whether compatible or not you do need to keep the Vit C L-ascorbic acid ph no higher than 3.5 and no lower than 2.5. Ideally 3 or 3.5.
You should do some research if you play chemist and get some Ph strips.
Needl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
I tried leaving mine on (just Ascorbic Acid powder dissolved in hot water), and found it stained my sheets horribly. I wrote to Owndoc for advice and they replied that rinsing it off after 30 minutes would be ok. I just do it at night: shower, Vit C, sit around watching TV for a while, shower again, done.

I must admit I sometimes wonder if it's worth the hassle, but my understanding is that it is mainly a preventative measure. Though this study suggest higher density of dermal papillae (good): https://bmcdermatol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-5945-4-13
johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:40 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Lily, you mention the ph being important, this got me thinking if I should use an ACV toner (ACV and distilled water) before the vitamin C serum? I read that ACV toners (at most 50% ACV, 50% distilled water, this doesn't seem to irritate my skin) balance the ph of the skin, which would probably leave it in an ideal condition to interact with the vitamin C serum?

Also, I try to keep the vitamin C serum between 10 and 20%, if I do that, I should be good as far as ph is concerned, right?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |